Gransnet forums

Food

Packed lunch for hot days

(16 Posts)
Nannykay Mon 25-Jun-18 14:43:40

My son takes a lunch to work with him every day, he has to leave the house at 6 in the morning, so I pack this for him in the evening. It’s in a insulated cold box and put in the fridge over night. In the morning he takes it out and adds a freezer block. The trouble is, his car is on the drive, and he says the last few days it’s been hot even at that time, he soon gets the air con going to cool it. When he gets to work his box sits on the side in the tea room, he works in a hot factory so the tea room is the coolest place, even so it sits there from 7am to 12.30 and even with a freezer block he says its warm enough to melt a chocolate biscuit. I try to pack something interesting not just sandwiches, today he has a pasta salad, cereal bar, apple, grapes, and a slice of lemon cake. But in this heat I’m worried about the safety of things like mayonnaise or rice, a sweaty cheese sandwich just sounds horrid.

Sorry for the long message, but I wanted to give all the facts. Any ideas/ advice would be very much appreciated.

Oopsadaisy53 Mon 25-Jun-18 14:49:19

Sorry I have no advice except for saying to add more ice blocks or frozen bottles of water, which when they thaw he can drink.

It’s a pity that the company hasn’t provided a fridge for the staff.

Or maybe whilst it’s so hot he should just go out and buy a sandwich in his lunch break ? Isn’t there a factory canteen where he can buy something fresh for a few days?

MawBroon Mon 25-Jun-18 15:04:50

With Mum to pack his lunch for him no wonder some men expect their wives and partners to wait on them hand and foot.
How old is this (young?) man?

Nannykay Mon 25-Jun-18 15:12:05

Yes I know I spoil him, he’s 24 and more than capable to get his own lunch, but I have mobility problems and he is so good to me, will do anything I cannot manage around the house and runs errands for me, I can manage to cook and pack his lunch, so it’s swings and roundabouts I suppose

merlotgran Mon 25-Jun-18 15:13:59

Good for you, Nannykay. Spoiling someone you love makes you feel good and even better when you know it's appreciated.

MawBroon Mon 25-Jun-18 15:22:18

Apologies Nannykay in your place I’d do exactly the same flowers

Jalima1108 Mon 25-Jun-18 15:58:48

Some cool bags are more effective than others so it's worth checking them out online.

I would do what Oopsadaisy suggests, more ice blocks and a frozen bottle of water should keep everything cool.
Why aren't they providing a fridge for the staff? I thought they would have to do that unless they have a staff canteen.

However, I hope he doesn't do what I did last week - made a packed lunch (no sandwiches), used one ice block and intended to put a frozen bottle of water on the top but forgot the water. It was still in the freezer when I got home and I had had no water (did manage to get a brew)

Nannykay Mon 25-Jun-18 16:04:46

That’s ok mawbroon, you are forgiven, I know I spoil him, but all my children can do everything from change the bed, washing, cleaning, to cooking a full roast dinner, and is more than happy to give his old mum a big hug when she’s feeling down, the least I can do is cook his favourite things.

I love to cook, it’s what I’ve always been known for. But I’m really stuck with this problem, tomorrow I thought he could take a salsa dip with salad/bread sticks.

Jalima1108 Mon 25-Jun-18 16:07:12

PS The packed lunch was fine but it was only in there for about 3 hours.

Nannykay Mon 25-Jun-18 16:07:47

There is a fridge, but things tend to go walkies, that’s if you can find room in it. Would one of those thermos food flasks keep things colder does anyone know.

Jalima1108 Mon 25-Jun-18 16:12:21

I don't think they'd hold much.
My small individual cool bag is a Thermos one and it is quite thick and seems effective.

There is a fridge, but things tend to go walkies
as in Halls of Residence!

Baggs Mon 25-Jun-18 16:12:30

MrBaggs used to take a soup flask containing things like stew. It was advertised as just as good at keeping things cool.

kittylester Mon 25-Jun-18 18:15:03

A hundred years ago, when I sent children to school with packed lunches, we used to keep a supply of 'box' drinks in the freezer and add one or two of those before they went to school.

I didn't know I was ruining their bodies and causing rampant tooth decay! blush

pollyperkins Mon 25-Jun-18 20:49:39

Id be careful about rice and also cold meats like ham, if it's going to be warm for a few hours. Salad, fruit, bread or cheese won't come to harm even if they don't taste so good (won't make him ill I mean.)

Redtop1 Mon 25-Jun-18 21:19:50

I used to put extra ice blocks underneath and above a box of salad and in Australia we used to freeze the grapes. I was lucky my husband would just eat salad and no meat in the summer weather. I also used to mix yogurt with frozen fruit (blueberries or raspberries etc.,) and freeze it overnight to pack in the bag. A small plastic bottle containing water again frozen overnight. Also a small bag of nuts and raisins and an apple.

max21 Mon 24-Sep-18 04:17:29

you can use a cooler bag for keeping your drink or fruits cool and fresh in it, hope it helps you.
you can find some best insulate bag here.
www.cuou.net/best-insulated-lunch-bags.html