Gransnet forums

Food

Barbecue recipes please

(4 Posts)
kittylester Tue 26-Jun-18 18:01:42

We are quite bored with our usual barbecue fare and are looking for inspiration.

I know lots of people don't like barbecues but we enjoy them (well I do as that's, obviously, men's work)

So any ideas would be gratefully received especially for veg, potatoes and puds.

Thank you!

rubysong Tue 26-Jun-18 19:55:08

We get nice peppered pork steaks from a local butcher Kitty. And then do loads of salads, garlic bread etc. I am not a fan of burgers and hot dogs though good sausages are ok. You can BBQ bananas wrapped in foil with the skins cut and chocolate buttons pushed in. Sweet corn on the cob grills well.
(I must be honest and say I don't really like BBQ and it does cause a bit of domestic tension as DH does like it and wants to do it but spends all his time chatting with a beer in his hand and I end up doing it eventually as people are getting hungry.)

hildajenniJ Tue 26-Jun-18 22:05:41

Vegetable skewers are good, use mushrooms, bell peppers, onion, courgette, tomatoes, (smallish whole ones). Aubergine sliced lengthways is good too. Brush everything with oil, or you could make a marinade to brush on.
For pudding, what about marshmallow and fruit kebabs? Thread marshmallows, strawberries, grapes, pineapple cubes onto skewers and grill them.
I'm hungry now!!!

Hilltopgran Tue 26-Jun-18 23:06:40

We did courgette sliced lengthwise and baby corn on our bbq at the weekend both cooked really well.

I like to use chicken thighs for a change they do not dry out like chicken breasts and I marinate first with a mix of Tom ketchup, soy sauce and maple syrup. Oily fish like sea bass and tuna also do well on bbq.

DH likes put whole bananas on bbq to heat right through till skin is blackened for a desert, then serve peeled with ice cream and choc sauce.