Gransnet forums

Food

Kitchen Gadgets.

(44 Posts)
1974cookie Wed 27-Jun-18 18:21:32

I am not a fan of some kitchen gadgets, but I found one the other day that is so simple and brilliant, especially at this time of the year.
It is called Stem Gem.
It is a strawberry huller, and it really does work !
This little gadget removes the green stalk on the strawberry quickly and easily. I usually try to remove them with my fingers, but sometimes they do not come away in one piece.
This little gadget works every time.
Do any other Gransnetters have a Kitchen Gadget that they would not be without?

1974cookie Wed 15-Aug-18 17:59:29

Thank You MissAdventure, I would really like to know if they are well worth the hype.

MissAdventure Mon 13-Aug-18 22:27:35

My sister just bought a secondhand remouska, cookie, as she didn't want to pay too much and not like it.
I'll ask her how she is getting on with it.

Fennel Mon 13-Aug-18 21:09:32

I make all our bread (at the moment) so my favourite gadget is a Kenwood robot with a dough hook. which simplifies the work, including less cleaning up.

bikergran Mon 13-Aug-18 18:56:12

anep Asda sell the butterfly can openers think about 50p..or roundabout that.

MargaretX Mon 13-Aug-18 18:03:20

I have a Moulinex which grinds anything and quickly and have had it for years but it is still being manufactured.

1974cookie Mon 13-Aug-18 17:52:33

Have any Gransnetters got something called a Remouska cooker.
I have seen these in a Lakeland catalogue and shop, and my goodness, they look, and indeed sound quite impressive!
They are an electric table top cooker that does everything from slow cooking to roasting a chicken and more. Evidently it is very cheap to run too. However, it is not cheap to buy. I feel sure that Lakeland would not endorse something that did not live up to the hype, but I would love to hear from someone who is using one and what they feel about it as I am tempted to buy one.

rylanc5 Mon 13-Aug-18 13:20:12

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

shysal Sat 21-Jul-18 10:56:45

I have one of those Zyliss Easy Pull too, gardenoma, it is great. I bought it after reading about them on GN a while ago. I gather the Hairy Bikers use one on their programmes.

gardenoma Sat 21-Jul-18 10:41:34

The little hand operated food processor somebody above mentioned is my second best gadget, no electricity or batteries just a tight cord and a couple of ridiculously sharp blades for when you dont want to get the big guns out. It even chops through my tough melon peels easily with a few pulls and they're good for the compost heap. In constant use just mind your fingers rinsing the blade part.

Auntieflo Sun 15-Jul-18 13:31:46

Phew, thank heavens for that GrannyGravy. I would hate to upset a light hearted thread. Are you fairly new to GN? smile

GrannyGravy13 Sun 15-Jul-18 12:12:00

friendship first especially virtual friendships ???

Bellanonna Sun 15-Jul-18 11:56:29

Gravy/Flo. That’s the nicer side of GN. When people are pleasant to one another. ?

GrannyGravy13 Sun 15-Jul-18 11:14:03

Auntieflo I meant to press the comical emoji, In no way did I intend to perplex you. That is what happens when I multi-task!!!

annep Sat 14-Jul-18 22:19:54

Cherrytree ??

Alexa Sat 14-Jul-18 20:29:13

Thing for gripping bottle tops of different sizes so you can lever them open.

Cherrytree59 Sat 14-Jul-18 20:24:17

This thread has just brought to mind my noctural browsing. According to Mumsnet
(I know the dark side) 'The Must Have' thing is a hand-held label printer.
It seems that virtually anything can be labeled from name tags to decorative labels on jars, herbs spices as well as files and craftingng paraphernalia.
Nothing can escape a frenzied label attack.grin
slopes off to
peruse Amazon

Auntieflo Sat 14-Jul-18 18:57:51

GrannyGravy, just seen your perplexed icon. Apologies, I wasn't inferring that you. are a devil, just that, if I borrowed your DH, he would soon get so fed up with me, and my foibles, that he would fly straight back home. ?

JustALaugh Sat 14-Jul-18 16:48:43

Mine's not really a gadget, but it's definitely the best thing in my kitchen..... a waste disposal unit

GrannyGravy13 Sat 14-Jul-18 16:47:31

???

Auntieflo Sat 14-Jul-18 16:33:04

GrannyGravy, sorry to hear about your foot, here's hoping you mend soonest. Anyway, if I borrow him, he may just be fed up enough to come swiftly back to you. ( nothing like the devil you know, eh?)

GrannyGravy13 Sat 14-Jul-18 16:10:01

Auntieflo you are welcome to him at the moment lol!!! I have 2 fractures (foot and ankle) 5 weeks in and only just getting mobile. I think we have driven each other barmy!!! In 35 years together we have never spent so much time in each other's company.

oldgirl60 Sat 14-Jul-18 15:34:02

I have a palm peeler and it has taken my peeling to a whole new level smile

Greyduster Sat 14-Jul-18 09:14:34

I have never tried ginger on mine, gardenoma - I will give it a go! I have just bought an electric mini chopper which is particularly good for onions, chillis - I hate chopping chillis - and for nuts and herbs. All sorts of things in fact.

Auntieflo Sat 14-Jul-18 08:39:39

GrannyGravy13, send him round here. My DH is lovely, but seems to believe that the essential kitchen fairy is alive and well, and living somewhere nearby, as she flits in and out when needed. wink

GrannyGravy13 Fri 13-Jul-18 14:50:54

My Husband!!!!