Gransnet forums

Food

Storing homemade truffles

(16 Posts)
Googoogoo1 Tue 03-Jul-18 07:50:35

Not helpful, but another that couldn't possibly make them smile as I couldn't possibly store them smile. I do keep dark choc in the fridge though, at all times, and it comes out much nicer.

Farmor15 Thu 28-Jun-18 20:08:18

I make them regularly for Christmas and sometimes Easter. I usually store in a cool place- a kind of pantry, but not the fridge. But that’s in cool weather.

I was checking some biscuit tins there a few days ago and was very surprised to find a few of my chocolate covered truffles there. Tasted one and it was fine, though probably nicer if cold. I think they must have been there since Christmas and I thought they would have gone off, especially in this warm weather.

Anyway, I normally give them away as gifts within about a week of making and suggest to recipients they keep in fridge, as my recipe has cream in it (which is why I was surprised they were ok after so long).

HildaW Thu 28-Jun-18 17:59:34

Can remember making some one Christmas, not long after I had decorated the dining room. I left them out on the said dining room table to firm up and went back to find that they tasted distinctly painty....could not offer them up as a gift as planned.....had to keep trying them to ensure they did taste paint.....they did....right till the last one.

Nanabilly Thu 28-Jun-18 17:18:23

I too would store them in my tummy.
I made truffles for my husband's 40th birthday party along with Florentine and some other sweet delights but I can't remember as it was over 20 years about as soon as the desserts were put out they were gone and I never got one of them.
Never made them since but keep intending to.

Oopsadaisy53 Thu 28-Jun-18 17:04:43

Truffles and fridge! Hmmm. Nope.

Truffles straight to be eaten. Yep.

However, if I hated chocolate truffles ( yeh right) they would go straight into the fridge.

grannyticktock Thu 28-Jun-18 16:55:49

I make a sort of rum truffle for Christmas and it stores well in the freezer. I also discovered that because of the rum it stays quite soft and you can eat it almost straight from the freezer - I did not share this discovery with my family, which helped prevent sneaky pilfering (except by me - cook's privilege!).

hmo1412ash21 Thu 28-Jun-18 16:22:22

Thank you MOnica and annsixty. I've read so much conflicting advice on Google that I just couldn't decide which would be best. I've already got them in the fridge in an airtight container and am hoping for the best that in 2 weeks' time once they're back to room temperature they'll be ok. As you say, this hot weather I think they'd go very sticky.

HildaW Thu 28-Jun-18 16:11:34

Store truffles!!!!!!!!

annsixty Thu 28-Jun-18 16:07:49

Are you real * M0nica*?
In the fridge for the very short time they would be around and it would have to be a box with a strong lid so I couldn't just pop one I every time I went for milk etc.

M0nica Thu 28-Jun-18 15:26:35

In hot weather like this I would store them in the fridge or even freeze them.

But then I have neither a sweet tooth nor do I much like chocolatesmile

MawBroon Thu 28-Jun-18 15:11:43

Quite Teetime.
I am sorry my point was not clear. confused

hmo1412ash21 Thu 28-Jun-18 15:02:59

Haha! Ohhhh trust me, that's exactly where they'll be stored ultimately!!!!

Teetime Thu 28-Jun-18 15:00:27

I would store them in my tummy. smile

hmo1412ash21 Thu 28-Jun-18 14:59:44

At the end of the truffle recipe, it just says that once made, they should be kept for two weeks (presumably so that the rum/brandy flavour has time to mature). I've made them, but not sure whether to keep in the fridge for the two weeks, or just keep them at room temperature.

MawBroon Thu 28-Jun-18 14:54:50

Keep homemade chocolate truffles for two weeks?
I am sorry, I don’t understand the question gringrin

hmo1412ash21 Thu 28-Jun-18 14:52:51

I've read so many conflicting solutions when Googling and just don't know what's best. Do you store homemade chocolate truffles (recipe says keep for two weeks but doesn't say at what temp) at room temperature or in the fridge? Would really appreciate your replies! Tia.