Gransnet forums

Food

Anyone with experience of Parsleybox?

(20 Posts)
fourormore Tue 10-Jul-18 10:30:58

Having several folk around me who are elderly etc. and sometimes can't be bothered to cook I have recently come across a mail order supplier called Parsleybox.
They currently have an offer of ten main meals plus two sweets with free next day delivery for £19.
The meals are ready cooked and sealed in vacuum packs with a long shelf life so that they can be stored in a simple cupboard - no need for freezing.
We have ordered the current offer to try ourselves as there's not much to lose if they aren't any good - but has anyone any experience of these meals?

BlueBelle Tue 10-Jul-18 10:33:43

I ve never heard of them is that £19 the normal price or just a special offer ?

fourormore Tue 10-Jul-18 15:08:33

Hi BlueBelle - I hadn't heard of them either. We just saw the ad in the paper. It looks like a special offer as we had to quote DS2.
We are expecting the delivery later today and when we get around to trying something I will post our opinion!
According to the ad the firm was started by a husband and wife team who had been researching ready meals for her mother. They were moving away and were concerned that mother wouldn't bother cooking so would not be eating nourishing meals - so they created them!
Will be interesting?

jenpax Tue 10-Jul-18 16:28:53

What is supposed to be the difference between these delivered ready meals and those you can buy and heat from supermarkets.
My late mother used Wiltshire Farm Foods. no idea what they were like, but I have often wondered why people choose these rather than filling their freezers with homemade remnants or ready meals if they can’t or don’t want to cook?

Liz46 Tue 10-Jul-18 16:34:55

I tried Wiltshire Farm Foods when I was looking after my mother and didn't like them. If I needed ready meals, I would rather get them from somewhere like M&S.

BlueBelle Tue 10-Jul-18 16:49:01

My dad had Wiltshire farm for about 5 years after mum went into a residential He loved them Then he heard about a local similar one and liked them even better as they brought them round each day and I think he liked the interaction whereas Wiltshire brought them every fortnight and filled up tithe freezer Wiltshire had a big menu of meals and did specials for Christmas etc

Well Jenpax most people use them when they have no means to go to the shops to buy them They are delivered to the door

fourormore Wed 11-Jul-18 10:56:10

Jenpax - another very important point is that they don't have to be kept in the freezer or even the fridge.

MawBroon Wed 11-Jul-18 11:04:41

If you are ever looking for very good “ready meals” ( and no, I do not have an interest in the company!) can I recommend Cook!
They taste as close to homemade as you can get and have the added advantage that cooking times are straight from the freezer.
Not necessarily cheap, but lots of real meat and not just padding.
I found them invaluable after Paw died when I just couldn’t face cooking and was living on toast and peanut butter.

ffinnochio Wed 11-Jul-18 13:51:40

Another fan of Cook. Expensive, yes, but great value for the yum factor. Moving house, with Mr. Ffinn in hospital, they’ve been marvellous. Fortunately, can source very close to home ... easier to get to than M&S.

EllenT Wed 11-Jul-18 14:55:07

Another endorsement for Cook. Their meals are a great standby for anyone short of time, skills or energy, and work well for new parents as well as older folk Tasty, well-made and interesting. Curries are a very strong point. More expensive than most supermarket meals but comparable to a takeaway.

Kateykrunch Wed 11-Jul-18 19:52:58

Ooooo fourormore, I had a look and thought it was worth a try for £19, nice to have some easy quick ready meals on hand especially as I am no domestic godess, well, I’m idle really and the queen of pierce and ping cookery - Will report back, watch this space. x

fourormore Wed 11-Jul-18 20:21:28

Update!
I tried the Coq au vin and it was delicious. No defrosting - just two minutes in the microwave.
The portion size is a bit on the small side so I added a couple of boiled baby potatoes but I believe my general portion size is larger than it should be so perhaps it will do me good grin to have a smaller portion!
I am unsure whether we will be ordering more as we are able to cook but I believe for the elderly or less able they would be a good reserve in the cupboard.
The service was second to none - I rang the order through on Monday and the box was delivered to my door (post free) Tuesday afternoon. To me the best points are that they are ideal for those who can't get out to the shops and they take absolutely no room in the fridge or freezer as they only need a shelf!
They won't be for everyone I'm sure but I will be trying them with my elderly neighbours and like Kateykrunch I will report back!
One thing to point out is that the £19 is obviously a special offer. When the delivery comes there is a brochure showing other available meals which are slightly dearer but there is a fair variety of decent meals.

Menopaws Wed 11-Jul-18 20:28:10

My oldies seem to like them, storage, cooking, size etc suits them, I tried one and it was ok but for those with no room for freezers it's good.

mumofmadboys Thu 12-Jul-18 07:18:30

How can coq au vin be kept at room temperature?

OldMeg Thu 12-Jul-18 07:47:14

Yes, I was wondering that too momb.....how does that work fourormore?

OldMeg Thu 12-Jul-18 07:50:03

The website says “Once your order is delivered, simply store it in a handy cupboard or the pantry – ready to enjoy whenever you're ready to eat.”

Still confused ?

Kateykrunch Thu 12-Jul-18 08:24:43

Apparently they are air tight!, will see, delivery due today, does sound a bit yucky though lol.

LiltingLyrics Thu 12-Jul-18 08:51:16

Just been looking at the website and TrustPilot reviews. It looks like the price per meal is £2.99. Reviews suggest that this is for a small portion of the main part of the meal. You have to add potatoes, rice, other vegetables yourself (as the OP has said).

The 19.99 is an offer. Most of their bundles are 14 meals for £39.99.

I can see that they market their meals to caravanners and boaters. I can see how that might appeal where room to refridgerate food may be limited.

fourormore Thu 12-Jul-18 10:18:52

What interesting posts we are getting - brilliant!
Like many I was concerned at them not being frozen or at least refrigerated but it all looks fine.
My elderly neighbour hasn't actually tried one yet but eats very small portions so for someone like her they seem perfect - but, as they say - the proof is in the eating!
To be honest whether potatoes, veg etc are added would be up to the person concerned - I found a couple of boiled baby potatoes that I added to the Coq au Vin was sufficient but extra veg on the side may well be needed by other folks.
These 'extras' are also available and again, could be useful for those less able to do it themselves - personally I would boil a few potatoes or steam a few veg if needed which would keep the cost down - however the 14 meals for £39.99 is still a cheap meal for those unable to cook a meal from scratch.
My late Mum couldn't be bothered to cook and unless I nagged would have survived on bread and jam so this sort of thing would have given her no excuse to not have a 'proper' meal!

mariapemb Sun 11-Apr-21 21:19:13

We have just finished our first box from ParsleyBox and every meal was delicious. I will be ordering regular for my father as I am moving house and will not be able to cook for him everyday. He is a fussy eater but the meals I chose from their selection he loved and just the right portion size too. So if your worried dont be they are exceptionally tasty and good value.