Gransnet forums

Food

Hamburgers

(5 Posts)
rockgran Thu 12-Jul-18 19:27:26

Yes, Hamburgers are named after Hamburg. I once joked to a five year old that they might be made from hamsters but he told me not to be "tho thilly!"blush

hulahoop Thu 12-Jul-18 19:01:29

Thanks for replies I don't like lamb Monica at the moment I eat vegetable quarter pounders looks like ones made of ham are not available anymore I know tesco did some for a while they were in twos and in a foil sealed pack they didn't sell them for long unfortunately ?

MiniMoon Thu 12-Jul-18 16:37:18

I make my own sometimes. I use half minced beef and half minced pork, finely chopped onion, and seasoned with salt and pepper and any other spices I feel like at the time. Fresh herbs, coriander leaves etc. They beat shop bought burgers every time.

M0nica Thu 12-Jul-18 16:28:30

Hulahoop I share your dislike of beef burgers but hamburgers are so called because they are believed to come from Hamburg in northern Germany,not because they contain ham.

At my local farm shop/butcher they sell lamb and pork burgers, which are both very nice, but dare I admit it, I actually prefer a veggieburger.

hulahoop Thu 12-Jul-18 16:11:44

Can anyone help me I don't particularly like beef burgers but even special burger places say hamburger when the burger is made with beef . My oh and I remember hamburgers cut to size from a long one out of a tin usually seen at fairs or seaside called westlers which you can still get but only in gravy can anyone tell me if you can still get proper ham burgers or provide a easy recipe to make my own thanks