Gransnet forums

Food

Not salad again?

(18 Posts)
Nannykay Mon 23-Jul-18 15:28:57

So tonight we are having a cold roast chicken, I thought new potatoes and salad with it, my husbands favourite, but son, loves chicken and new potatoes but salad, not so much. Any ideas what I could give him instead, to hot to bother with much and I cannot think beyond peas,would have none cobs, but not sure about sweet corn at the moment.

Ideas anyone, please.

merlotgran Mon 23-Jul-18 15:37:51

We are having salad every lunchtime and lightly steamed veg with whatever we are eating in the evenings. Too hot for anything else unless it's a curry. Never too hot for that!!

Steamed broccoli and carrots take no time at all. Same goes for French beans, peas, sweetcorn etc.

I'm not bothering to put my steamer away at the moment. It sits on the hob as I use it nearly every day.

MissAdventure Mon 23-Jul-18 15:41:59

My grandsons enjoy raw baby sweetcorn, mange tout, cucumber sticks and chunks of tomato, with coleslaw.
Not quite a salad, but they eat it.

MiniMoon Mon 23-Jul-18 15:43:24

I'm loving courgettes at the moment. Fried or grilled. You could add mushrooms and shallots, and perhaps a red or yellow bell pepper, and make a quick stir- fry.

Bathsheba Mon 23-Jul-18 15:44:40

Cold pasta salad works well with anything. Just cook some pasta shapes with peas, sweetcorn, or any other veg you fancy, cool rapidly, and stir in mayonnaise and pesto sauce. Pine nuts are always a good addition too if you've got them.

Nannykay Mon 23-Jul-18 15:50:06

A stir fry sounds good, I think I’ll add noodles and we can all have it with the cold chicken.

Thanks folks

Pittcity Mon 23-Jul-18 15:50:07

I've been cheating with frozen rice/couscous and veg. A couple of minutes in the microwave. Too hot to cook.

OldMeg Mon 23-Jul-18 16:14:20

I make my own coleslaw. That usually goes down well with saladphobics. If I’m feeling adventurous I make a Waldorf Salad, but Sainsbury’s were clean out of Waldorfs today ?

Fennel Mon 23-Jul-18 16:31:03

A market stall I go to sells 99p bags of colourful baby sweet peppers. Red yellow and orange. Make a dressing, and add the finely chopped peppers. Chopped cashew nuts on top if you have them.
My favourite though is beetroot - you can buy bunches of small beets, cut off the tops and boil until tender. Very sweet.
I never add salt to salad things, enjoy the sweetness of the veg.

HildaW Mon 23-Jul-18 17:15:08

I make ratatouille, especially now our courgettes are coming through though luckily they are a variety that's quite slow growing and I pick them every other day so they never get too big. I do not have a hard and fast recipe just start with onions in oil and cook gently adding peppers, aubergines and then the courgettes last as they really do not need much cooking. I finish with a large jar of chopped tomatoes and fresh herbs and leave it on the back of the stove for half an hour or so till its tepid. Its great as a veggie side dish or as a main added to pasta and cheese. Keeps in the fridge and is always better the next day just heated through till tepid.
I also do a coleslaw that has few rules....any sort of cabbage then any of the following carrots, celery, onion, fennel, apple. I always add a handful of raisins or cranberries for a touch of sweetness. Then customise decent may with some greek yoghurt or sour cream and seasoning such as lea and Perrins or mustard. I tend not to add salt as it makes it 'weep'.

Fennel Mon 23-Jul-18 17:31:12

Hilda I would love to add sour cream etc but husband won't eat any dairy.
He likes mayonnaise, but I think too much isn't good for you.
Compromise.

FlexibleFriend Mon 23-Jul-18 17:49:52

Cole slaw and potato salad

Greyduster Mon 23-Jul-18 19:59:55

Being served a salad truly makes my heart sink - I hate it, although I could snack on watercress by itself all day long.

merlotgran Mon 23-Jul-18 20:20:29

Just had a supermarket delivery. There were no substitutions just a list of things I'd ordered that were 'not available.'

Sparkling water, tomatoes, mushrooms, red peppers, yoghurts, little gem lettuce to name but a few.

I thought I'd spare myself the hassle of traipsing round the aisles on such a hot day. I suppose people are just stripping the shelves of salad stuff and drinks.

Bummer! hmm

GrannyGravy13 Mon 23-Jul-18 20:40:27

1 can of sweet corn, diced spring onions add mayonnaise, yoghurt or salad cream season to taste.

Grate courgette mix with an egg and spoonful of floor, season and sauté. (Can also be done with corn)

MiniMoon Mon 23-Jul-18 22:07:21

GG13, why not mix the courgettes with the can of sweetcorn and the chopped onion and make fritters. Yummy.

Nannykay Mon 23-Jul-18 22:10:50

In the end we all had the cold chicken with a simple stir fry and garlic bread, it was very tasty.

Jalima1108 Mon 23-Jul-18 22:39:33

would have none cobs, but not sure about sweet corn at the moment.
We had fresh corn on the cob tonight but I would be wary of frozen sweetcorn.