Gransnet forums

Food

Roses lime cordial

(14 Posts)
suey Thu 26-Jul-18 17:47:53

Can anyone please suggest an alternative to Roses lime cordial now that it has been bought by Cola who have raised the price to such a level that it is uneconomic for shops to sell it?
I understand that Waitrose are thinking of producing their own replacement but in the meantime is there anything that tastes a little like as good as Robinsons?

phoenix Thu 26-Jul-18 17:49:24

Waitrose High Juice Lime Cordial is pretty close.

ffinnochio Thu 26-Jul-18 19:12:37

Tesco’s Lime Cordial (with no added sugar) is very good. Inexpensive, too.
When my husband was ill, it was the only thing he wanted to drink .... but now can’t stand it. #association!

I still think it’s great with lots of ice in this hot weather. Very refreshing.

notanan2 Thu 26-Jul-18 19:49:47

thats a shame. It was one of the few cordials that didnt have nasty sweetners sad

jenpax Thu 26-Jul-18 20:19:43

What percentage has the Roses cordial risen by?

notanan2 Thu 26-Jul-18 20:34:56

I would still pay extra for non sweetner lime cordial, unless theyve changed that too

Fennel Fri 27-Jul-18 09:21:52

Why not try home-made? Method same as for lemonade, mentioned in a recent thread. I've seen limes in the shops lately.
Cut up the fruit roughly, add a little sugar, cover with boiling water and leave overnight.
In the morning squeeze the fruit (by hand,) strain and add more water and sugar if necessary. Chill.

MawBroon Fri 27-Jul-18 09:30:50

Waitrose have had their own for some time,
I remember that my local Waitrose no longer stocked Rose’s about this time last year when Paw was in hospital as he was very partial to it.

annodomini Fri 27-Jul-18 10:31:33

I buy the Waitrose sugar-free version and top up with club soda or fizzy water. Alternatively I use elderflower cordial.

Auntieflo Fri 27-Jul-18 11:32:55

Without trawling through all the labels, do they all contain that dreadful Asparmate (sp). sweetener?

Newatthis Fri 27-Jul-18 11:46:41

Hi Fennel, Do you leave the skins on while they are being steeped overnight?

notanan2 Fri 27-Jul-18 12:46:25

Auntieflo last time I checked them all (a while back) Roses was the only one on the shelf at the time made from just fruit and sugar.

Auntieflo Fri 27-Jul-18 12:48:00

Thanks notanan2. Need to shop tomorrow, so will have a look see.

Fennel Fri 27-Jul-18 12:52:01

Newatthis Yes pips skin and all.
It doesn't make a cordial, I think you would have to add more sugar and boil to a syrup for that.
But it makes limeade.