Gransnet forums

Food

Cheese with/in everything

(19 Posts)
Granny23 Thu 02-Aug-18 10:45:59

I have an allergy/intolerance of all things cheesy - sour cream, yoghurt, creme fresh, etc, etc. which causes a severe (stomach cramps/vomiting/diarrhea) reaction within minutes of consuming it and an upset stomach, dizziness, as if I had been poisoned, for 2/3 days thereafter. Apparently the reaction is not to the dairy element - I can consume milk, cream, etc with no harm - but rather to the bacterium which 'turns' the milk.

I had 2 episodes on our recent holiday when eating out. 1 traced back to a slice of coffee and walnut cake, the other to Cream of chicken soup, apparently thickened with some sort of creamy cheese. Yesterday I had lunch in a new Community Cafe where the entire menu of paninis - ham & cheese, salmon & cheese, egg & cheese, tuna melt, etc was off limits, so I explained my problem and they promised a cheese free ham & tomato pannini. When it arrived it looked fine but the accompanying salad had grated cheese on top and as a final insult the crisps were cheese and onion. Thankfully DGS turned up at that point, ate my lunch, while I had a coffee.

My question is this. What is this modern trend to add cheese to everything, even when you least expect it? I know my allergy is rare (except in Italy!) but this must also affect the many who are lactose intolerant. Is it because cheese is a cheap source of protein? or simply a modern trend?

starbird Thu 02-Aug-18 10:53:00

I have not come across this trend, but as a cheese addict it obviously would not bother me.

In the case of your recent lunch, I would have sent it back and pointed out the stupidity of preparing a cheese free pannini then adding cheese to the salad. If we stay quiet how will they learn to improve/ use their brain?

Gymstagran Thu 02-Aug-18 11:08:05

Hi Granny 23 I think this trend has been going for a while and I too find it very annoying. I was always looking for a cheese free panini and not finding one. So I empathise with you but don't have an answer. Now just eat fruit!

Eglantine21 Thu 02-Aug-18 13:16:50

Yup, I don’t really like cheese and I totally loath melted cheese. Eughh!

I find it very difficult to buy lunch out and even an evening meal often has a little bit cheese in some form or other.

I don’t know what the answer is.

nonnasusie Thu 02-Aug-18 13:33:56

My step daughter is allergic to cheese ( it makes her vomit) but can eat yoghurt and drink milk. I thought maybe it was the rennet in the cheese. Perhaps it's her Italian side that causes it although her dad ( my H) loves cheese!. She has to check labels carefully.

kittylester Thu 02-Aug-18 13:41:07

This is an issue for people who are gluten intolerant/allergic. Flour is in the most ridiculous of places. Some places we go to do not have gluten free chips!

Oldwoman70 Thu 02-Aug-18 13:48:20

I sympathise, I don't have a problem with cheese, but I am allergic to fish yet when eating out most starters are fish based and I have been to restaurants where every mains choice contained fish of some sort - I have even been given a chicken salad with prawns sprinkled on top. I have a friend who is a cealiac and although things are getting better still finds it difficult to find gluten free choices.

varian Thu 02-Aug-18 15:37:47

Probably you're only safe in a vegan cafe or restaurant. Fortunately he number of vegans has increased hugely in recent years and more places cater for them.

sodapop Thu 02-Aug-18 15:45:03

I find the same thing Granny23 cheese in everything, I'm not allergic just don't like it.
Maybe France is not the best place for me to live ?

Jalima1108 Thu 02-Aug-18 16:19:02

The only thing on the menu that was gf today was jacket potato with beans - and cheese!
Luckily DD can eat some cheese but yes, it does seem to be in everything. We don't very often eat ready meals, occasionally M&S ones, but all of them seem to have cheese in the ingredients.

lemongrove Thu 02-Aug-18 16:32:17

I hadn’t noticed it was in everything.
You can have a plain non cheese burger, and many cafes and restaurants have totally cheese free choices on the menu don’t they?
I don’t understand why there should be any at all in cake,
Perhaps it was yoghurt?I put yoghurt in scone mixture to help them rise.
Is this allergy common in Italy Granny23 ?

humptydumpty Thu 02-Aug-18 16:55:57

I agree varian. DD recently found out after tests for stomach problems that she is intolerant of all types of dairy which was a shock as she loves cheese and milk! but the easiest thing is definitely to get vegan food when eating out.

Nonu Thu 02-Aug-18 16:58:40

I just love cheese so much

Eglantine21 Thu 02-Aug-18 18:00:43

Actually lemon grove if I can just quote the Costa panini menu:

Ham and cheese
Roast pork and halloumi
Mozzarella pesto
Turkey and cheese
Chicken feta

Cheese, cheese, cheese ?

Tweedle24 Thu 02-Aug-18 18:17:30

I am not allergic to dairy produce but do sympathise as I am trying to lose weight and lots of cheese is not helpful. However, one other trend I have noticed, is that too many (to me, inappropriate) dishes seem to have chilli added. I do not dislike a little heat but, only if I am expecting it!

lemongrove Thu 02-Aug-18 18:23:45

I was thinking of good cafes and restaurants really, not Costa ( have only ever had cofffe in them.)
If you have allergies a bit of research is the way to go.

lemongrove Thu 02-Aug-18 18:35:13

Some are obviously filling out their sarnies with cheese as it’s cheaper than meat.

Eglantine21 Thu 02-Aug-18 18:47:02

Yes, and tasty if you like it! ???

Granny23 Thu 02-Aug-18 18:52:09

Many moons ago I worked beside a Sociologist (of Italian origins) whose speciality was the prevalence of blood groups, allergies, finger print whorl patterns, etc by populations. He explained to me that this intolerance is to bacteria of the Lactococcus group, which appear in milk that has 'gone off' and are used to create Crème fraîche, Yoghurt, etc. He told me that this intolerance was most commonly found in the North of Italy (and, I think it was, Normandy), which was interesting as although I am Scottish as far back as I can trace, my paternal surname is much commoner in N Italy than in Britain.

He also taught me to say 'Allergico Fromaggio' (I have no idea of the correct spelling) and this has stood me in good stead when on holiday in Italy, resulting in pasta dishes topped with grated carrot instead of mozzarella and Istrian pizza - no cheese but a softly cooked egg on top.

From wikipedia:

^Crème fraîche is produced by adding a starter culture to heavy cream, and allowing it to stand at appropriate temperature until thick. The culture is made up of a mix of bacteria including Lactococcus species L. cremoris, L. lactis, and L. lactis biovar diacetylactis. This is what gives it the taste that distinguishes it from similar dairy products like sour cream. Procedures for cooks making crème fraîche at home may substitute cultured buttermilk with active cultures for the starter culture.
Crème fraîche is used both hot and cold in French cuisine. It is often used to finish hot savory sauces; with its fat content greater than 30%, curdling is not a problem. It is also the basis of many desserts and dessert sauces.^

It was the 'butter icing' on the coffee cake that floored me, apparently made with Crème fraîche.

I usually avoid all Indian food because it uses a lot of Yoghurt but love Chinese, normally completely dairy free.