Gransnet forums

Food

Quick 'pickled' cucumber and onion

(25 Posts)
kittylester Mon 06-Aug-18 10:49:42

We went out for tapas on Saturday (my treat for going to the cricket again!) and one of the dishes came with long strips of peeled cucumber which appeared to have been pickled. It was delicious.

It put me in mind of a similar thing my mum (and nan) did to have with cold meats. Sliced onions, cucumber, malt vinegar and a little sugar - I think - ready for eating later in the day..

I haven't made it for ages and can't find anything on the internet (not sure what I'm looking for) so wondered if anyone had a recipe.

Thanks all.

Fennel Mon 06-Aug-18 10:57:02

We had some the same at a friend's house last week. Except she had used white vinegar.
You're right , it's very refreshing.

kittylester Mon 06-Aug-18 10:58:26

Being GF I can't have malt vinegar any more so would probably use cider vinegar. I was just interested in any other ideas. I'm on a mission now!!

MamaCaz Mon 06-Aug-18 11:08:47

Try googling 'quick pickled cucumber', with or without the word 'onions', and you should find quite a variety of recipes. This is one that I found.

www.blessthismessplease.com/quick-pickled-cucumbers/

I bet it would work just as well with courgettes, too, for anyone with a glut right now. smile

annsixty Mon 06-Aug-18 11:10:10

We had this nearly every Sunday afternoon for tea when I was a child.
It is particularly good with tinned salmon although that was a very rare treat as it was wartime.
No recipe just slice and cover with vinegar, and yes it did have a sprinkle of sugar.

kittylester Mon 06-Aug-18 11:20:21

Thank you for the link. That's more or less what I think mum did.

MamaCaz Mon 06-Aug-18 11:24:57

I am tempted to make some myself now, as i have a glut of cucumbers as well as courgettes! smile

NonnaW Mon 06-Aug-18 11:33:45

I used to make what was called bread & butter pickle, which is basically the same thing.

Gagagran Mon 06-Aug-18 11:39:09

We had this a lot too with cold meats. Mum used to pour some boiling water over the sliced onions for a few seconds before adding a teaspoon of sugar, sliced peeled cucumber (not too thin) and malt vinegar. I must make some - my taste buds are tingling. I use red onions - the vinegar goes a pretty pink!

Gagagran Mon 06-Aug-18 11:39:54

Sorry - should have said "and drained them before adding..."

Juliette Mon 06-Aug-18 11:59:09

My friend’s mum used to do cucumber and onion every Sunday morning steeped all day in vinegar ready for their tea, always grade A red salmon,
For afters it was always strawberry jelly and Fussells tinned cream.
Those two aromas, strawberry jelly and malt vinegar transport me right back to the early fifties.
Happy memories.

KatyK Mon 06-Aug-18 20:31:39

Phil Vickery made a lovely looking cucumber relish on TV this morning using frozen cucumbers.

Jalima1108 Mon 06-Aug-18 20:38:34

My mother used to make this regularly too; it's something I haven't made for years.

I would use cider vinegar as well.

The courgettes are turning into marrows overnight MamaCaz

MamaCaz Mon 06-Aug-18 20:47:55

They certainly are, Jalima. I found four marrows today that I somehow missed while they were still courgettes. Everything is growing limpke mad at th moment - I think my neighbours have started hiding when they see me heading towards their houses with arms full of courgettes, cucumbers or runner beans grin

MamaCaz Mon 06-Aug-18 20:48:49

Limpke??? How did 'like' turn into that?

Jalima1108 Mon 06-Aug-18 20:49:34

ah - no runner beans, the sparrows got the flowers first.
sad

Jalima1108 Mon 06-Aug-18 20:50:34

Before freezers, my mother used to 'lay down' runner beans in salt in Kilner-type jars.
I never liked them

Grannyknot Mon 06-Aug-18 21:02:25

This is really interesting - it must be due to the hot weather - because I was out over the weekend and the salad served with the cold meat was very simple - sliced beef tomatoes, with thinly sliced white onion and cucumber and a very simple "dressing" of malt vinegar and sugar, just like my mother and gran used to make. Nothing else. It was such a treat, refreshing as others have said.

I wonder how many recipes may have been given the heave-ho in favour of unnecessarily more complicated ones - when they were perfectly fine in the first place! And delicious.

Greyduster Mon 06-Aug-18 22:35:27

I’m another who ate this as part of Sunday tea as a child, and so did DH. I still have the shallow pressed glass dish that my mother made it in. Must renew my acquaintance with it! Simple pleasures!

Cold Mon 06-Aug-18 22:51:28

I love these aromatic pickled red onions - great with sliced cold meats or cheese
www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/quick-pickled-onions

MiniMoon Mon 06-Aug-18 23:00:25

My SiL gave me a huge bag of runner beans from his garden. I've no idea how to use them all. I like the pickled cucumber ideas. I've never had cucumber that way. I'll have to try it.

kittylester Tue 07-Aug-18 06:36:09

We had my version of my mum's pickles with cold chicken and fried potatoes and onions last night. I used cider vinegar and red onions but it needed more sugar than I expected.

It was judged a success by dh and my friend.

J52 Tue 07-Aug-18 07:32:44

My Granny used to grate carrots and steep them in white vinegar. They were lovely with salad.

tiredoldwoman Tue 07-Aug-18 11:10:48

I've just ran off to have a go at courgettes in vinegar ! I put some fresh mint, sugar and cider vinegar in a bowl then added a long side grated courgette . It tastes wonderful , can't wait for lunch time !

MamaCaz Tue 07-Aug-18 20:12:16

Last year I made spicy pickled courgettes for the first time ( though slow-pickled rather than quick). They have mustard seeds, mustard powder, chilli flakes and celery seed in, as well as the vinegar and sugar. They were a huge hit with the family and I have since used the same recipe with cucumber instead, and it was just as good.

If anyone wants to try it, it was based loosely on a BBC recipe, though I doubled the quantities of all the spices, left out the onions, and used whatever sort of sugar / vinegar vinegar I had to hand:
www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/681665/crunchy-courgette-pickle