Gransnet forums

Food

Ideas for party food please!

(10 Posts)
nanasam Fri 24-Aug-18 12:11:08

Hi I'll be having a party chez moi for a rather 'big' birthday. Can you give me some suggestions for something different to serve? I'll be catering for about 30, DD has offered to make a slow cooker beef stroganoff and I'll do slow cooked pork belly cubes in mango chutney. I'd like to get away from the usual bbq-type food and ideally like to be able to do as much as possible in advance. Thank you, you clever lot!

loopyloo Fri 24-Aug-18 12:52:47

Perhaps do a veggy alternative? A lasagne with quorn mince?

pensionpat Fri 24-Aug-18 13:52:41

Paella?

jusnoneed Fri 24-Aug-18 14:09:26

Vegetable tortilla or frittata, can be made in the morning and eaten cold later.
Some nice bread and salads alongside the rice or noodles that would go with your pork/beef dishes.

Sweetie222 Fri 24-Aug-18 15:42:16

Why go for “different” if you have to ask for suggestions?

I’ve been to a couple of parties totally M&S catered, lots of different foods, enjoyed by all and not expensive, guests impressed and no slaving over hot stoves!

PS. No affiliation to M&S but I think I may have started a trend when I bought my wedding cake there!

paddyann Fri 24-Aug-18 15:55:14

I'm catering my daughters 40th she has requested foods from her past,like Coronation chicken ,moussaka,chicken gougons and dips,frittata , quiche ,chicken tikka and a variety of homemade salads .I'll also make some pate and dolmades as well as two vegetarian dishes and a couple of vegan ones .I'm making sure most of the other things are gluten free for the friends she has who dont have gluten in their diet.
Changed days from cheese and pineapple on sticks and ice cream an djelly she had when she was little .Have a great birthday

Teetime Fri 24-Aug-18 16:14:10

A large baked Salmon and couple of smoked salmon quiches

M0nica Fri 24-Aug-18 16:49:18

Any casserole and stew can be cooked in advance and frozen, so I would stick to those for the main course, with rice and baked potatoes.

For 30 I think four main dishes should be sufficient, one of which is vegetarian. Even omnivores eat vegetarian food with pleasure and will eat it alongside a meat based dish. use frozen vegetables if you are going to include them on the table.

You haven't mentioned desserts. Go on the same principal. A fruit crumble is an obvious choice and, made the night before a fruit salad and buy in some cheese cakes.

mumofmadboys Fri 24-Aug-18 17:14:54

A big chilli either meat or veggie made in slow cooker is easy. Along with baked potatoes , either ordinary or sweet is tasty and easy.

nanasam Sun 26-Aug-18 11:22:21

Thanks for all your suggestions. Actually, paddy, I rather fancy a cheese and pineapple hedgehog!

And a whole salmon, teetime, sounds delish.

M0nica I'm trying out a chocolate brioche bread and butter pudding today. If it's any good I can make a large one for next week.

Right, off to do the shopping list.