Gransnet forums

Food

Vegetarians beware

(2 Posts)
Mumsyface Fri 07-Sep-18 12:50:39

I had an interesting experience this week. I bought a khumba paneer to take away from a local Indian restaurant and to my horror when I arrived home there was no paneer in it, but lots of chicken. As I have been a vegetarian for about half a century I was horrified. I’m sure it was a simple mistake, no malicious intent, and they did refund the cost of the dish, but this has not restored my confidence and I will not be returning. Was this a simple and forgiveable mistake or AIBU to have found myself chewing a chunk of dead flesh an unpleasant and revolting xperience?

M0nica Fri 07-Sep-18 13:02:44

If it only happened once I would see it as an unfortunate error. No one, or business is perfect and mistakes do happen. Many, if not most Indians, are vegetarian, so it is unlikely that there was a hidden agenda, although it must have been a most unpleasant experience for you.

We regularly go to a local Indian gastro pub for their business lunch and, although I am neither vegetarian nor vegan I always order the vegetarian option because I prefer it, while DH has the meat based one. In 10 years no-one has batted an eyelid at my order, nor has there ever been a mistake.

I have sent food back to the kitchen at least once because it was not what I ordered or not cooked properly undercooked chicken or eggs with runny yokes (shudder). It was never intentional. So I wouldn'y embargo them entirely, but double check for a few visits.