Gransnet forums

Food

Fondant icing

(6 Posts)
Mitch4 Wed 12-Sep-18 13:37:41

After another family birthday at the weekend I have come to the conclusion that fondant icing is like Marmite and you either love it or hate it. Half the guests peeled it off the cake and left it because they don't like it (including me) and the rest peeled it off to enjoy it as a separate delicacy. Not a single person said they quite liked it. Is it just our family or do you love or loath it too? Personally I think it's revolting and should only be for decoration.

Farmor15 Wed 12-Sep-18 14:03:14

I like it- but only in small amounts. Depends on what kind of cake it’s on. I use it on chocolate biscuit cake and Christmas cake and think it works well but wouldn’t put on a sponge cake. I also roll as thinly as possible.

ginny Wed 12-Sep-18 16:17:55

Homemade fondant is fine eaten in small amounts. Shop bought always has a ‘tang’ to it.

paddyann Wed 12-Sep-18 20:11:04

I've just struggled with several pound of black fondant for my daughters birthday cake.It was much wetter than my usual brand and stuck to everything in sight .I used to make my own but shop bought is usually fine .Anyway job done and just the floral accessories to add ,roll on her 40th on Friday

jacq10 Wed 12-Sep-18 20:43:28

I only use it for DGS's birthday cake. With a transfer photo and candles it does the job and it usually goes down quite well on the day but I do find it sickly sweet myself mainly because of the buttercream which holds it on to the cake!!

teabagwoman Fri 14-Sep-18 13:32:06

Not keen on fondant, use buttercream whenever I can. Paddyann I take my hat off to you, wet fondant is the very devil.