Gransnet forums

Food

Leave our Cornish pasties alone!

(76 Posts)
MawBroon Sat 15-Sep-18 09:57:14

Seen in today’s DT, I could not have put it better myself, so apologies for copying.
Apparently the NHS is calling for Cornish pasties to be made from “healthier” – ie, lower-fat – filo pastry instead of the traditional buttery, full-fat shortcrust; a bit rich coming from a health service not renowned for culinary flair. Jill Venables, of Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust, has said that, while there was “nothing evil” about a traditional pasty, she wanted to “save patients’ lives.I’m working on a few recipes using alternatives to shortcrust pastry, such as filo or pasta”.
The pasty is an honest-to-goodness dish made from a necessarily robust pastry shell (strong bread flour – filo is far too wussy) containing beef, potato, swede and sliced onion. So while the nanny state may believe it has our best interests at heart in doctoring the pasty’s ingredients, nanny herself would not approve: there is arguably no better-balanced or more delicious meal-in-one-bite. Messing with the constituent parts in the name of public health is effectively saying “this is a Bad Food and you should feel guilty about wanting it”. It isn’t, so don’t.

Deedaa Tue 18-Sep-18 18:23:47

I really can't see that filo pastry is that much healthier. I was making samosas last week and folding the layers of filo took loads of butter.

Jalima1108 Tue 18-Sep-18 14:54:27

kathsue can you post some virtual ones on here please?

Next time try Ivor Dewdney's Newatthis - a bit difficult to eat because there's so much filling it tends to spill out!

Newatthis Tue 18-Sep-18 14:12:41

Firstly, can I say that I love Cornish pasties. So I was so excited when, last weekend, I was finally going to visit Cornwall and have just spent a long weekend near Truro. One of the first things I did was to buy a pasty in a shop that boasted '75 years in pasty making! - so I though 'yummy!". However, I was very disappointed. Thick, thick inedible pastry, hardly any filling and a bit tasteless. Not put off I sampled another one in Falmouth, and then again in Mevagissey and both were like the one I bought in Truro - very disappointing!. Not one to give up I gave a final try on the way home at a service station in Devon - delicious pastry, huge amount of very tasty filling. In fact the pasties from our local pasty shop in the north of England are much tastier.

kathsue Tue 18-Sep-18 11:56:29

Just going to nip up the road to Ivor Dewdneys. grin (pasty shop, if you don't know)

Jalima1108 Tue 18-Sep-18 11:23:19

Me too!

aggie Tue 18-Sep-18 11:21:22

Snap ! Lemon

lemongrove Tue 18-Sep-18 11:11:55

I hate this thread, seeing the mere title on the active list makes me want one.A hot, proper Cornish one.

Jalima1108 Tue 18-Sep-18 11:08:32

Tabbycat
I was brought up calling them the opposite!

Swede is large and orange
Turnips are smaller and white with a pink blush - fed to cattle

I settled on 'Swede Turnip' eventually when shopping in Devon.

Auntieflo Mon 17-Sep-18 17:05:01

Oh my goodness, all this talk of pasties, well we had one each for lunch today, they were delicious, but so filling!
And, to top it all off, yesterday we had scones, cream and jam.
Salad tonight methinks smile

Lazigirl Mon 17-Sep-18 14:10:28

Terri823 Your bet is right. She ain't from Cornwall but Yorkshire I think so perhaps she should start dissing Yorkshire fish and chips - but I hope not because I love fish and chips when we go to Yorkshire smile

Tabbycat Mon 17-Sep-18 11:45:50

And don't even think about starting the cream tea debate! Which goes on first - the jam or the clotted cream?
Luckily for me (and my marriage) I put them on my scone in the correct order when I first ate them in Cornwall at his family's house!

Tabbycat Mon 17-Sep-18 11:39:14

Hello Jalima

It all depends were you're from. I was born in Northumberland and lived in Norther Ireland for a while and turnip in those places is the orange, root vegetable that people eat; swede is white and is fed to cattle and sheep - although we used to get it in school dinners hmm ! My mother-in-law and other Cornish people call them turnips, too.

Jalima1108 Mon 17-Sep-18 11:25:51

turnip
Tabbycat having been brought up calling those vegetables 'swede' I was very confused when I asked for one when I moved to Devon, where they're called turnips!

The orange turnips grin

Tabbycat Mon 17-Sep-18 11:24:24

My husband is Cornish and my late Mother-in-law used to make the most delicious pasties. I have very happy memories of sitting by the beach eating hot pasties with our two now grown-up daughters when on holiday - but they were made with fresh good quality beef, thinly sliced potatoes, onions and turnip AND her pastry was light as a feather!

Teetime Mon 17-Sep-18 09:35:04

I live in pork pie town and a large chunk of the local economy is built on this. No-one here seems bothered about how unhealthy they are. Horrible things.

carolmary Mon 17-Sep-18 09:18:48

Oh Glenfinnan,-mealie puddings! So delicious! Not easily available south of the border but I make them occasionally. (my husband's a Scot) Like Tablet, meant to combat the cold Aberdonian winters. Anyone else make Tablet? Not for the fainthearted! We aren't fat as, like Cornish pasties, mealies and tablet are a special treat. As for hospital staff, is it surprising they are overweight, long shifts that overrun, hurried meals in hospital canteens and stress? Many of them have families to look as well as having a full-time job. Recipe for disaster.

Meriel Sun 16-Sep-18 21:22:26

Quite agree with these posts. Why do hospitals always use awful white bread. It is impossible to get wholemeal or even brown.

Jalima1108 Sun 16-Sep-18 20:46:38

If someone wants to eat more healthily just eat the innards and not the pastry!

It was designed to keep the food inside the pastry clean - savoury one end, apple the other.

Minced beef? No!

Shizam Sun 16-Sep-18 20:38:11

Not sure how much healthier filo pastry is anyway. You have to bathe each sheet in oil. Plenty of calories in there. Yes olive oil is meant to healthier. But it’s still fattening! Greece has a massive obesity crisis. It’s not the butter or the oil that you put in something, it’s how much you eat of it and how much you move each day. So, I’m saying stupid advice!

Lilyflower Sun 16-Sep-18 18:53:56

Nurses are advising us to eat butchered Cornish pasties! 'Physician, heal thyself,'

Glenfinnan Sun 16-Sep-18 18:42:44

Lovely memories of bridies Maw! I live in England now but originally from Angus. Two main makers of bridies in Forfar Mc Laren and Saddlers. I preferred Saddlers but both lovely! Scottish food not always healthy! tablet, mealie puddings, tunnock tea cakes, fern cakes, square sausage etc etc but delicious!

Nanny41 Sun 16-Sep-18 17:11:13

Leave Cornish pasties alone! They are wholesome delicious and with healthy ingredients and of course should be made in Cornwall.

scrabble Sun 16-Sep-18 17:04:28

Making me longing for a pasty, genuine of course.

paddyann Sun 16-Sep-18 16:58:16

People dont want to cook ,they want everything NOW,hence the eating while walking along the street.My mother would have been mortified if we'd eaten hot food outside of mealtimes and in the street .Maybe once a year we'd get chips while walking home from the shows (fair) apart from that food was on a table

minxie Sun 16-Sep-18 16:55:24

I don’t think the good people of Cornwall are going to listen that that nonsense