Gransnet forums

Food

Blackcurrant jelly disaster

(6 Posts)
vivvq Wed 19-Sep-18 14:14:33

I've been making jams, jellies and chutneys for 30+ years and have never had any problems. Today I opened a jar of blackcurrant jelly made about a month ago. It had turned to liquid and was clearly growing bacteria- not mould. The whole batch is the same. I always sterilise my jars and lids and then seal the jars using the oven method. I'm at a bit of a loss to know what has gone wrong. Any suggestions please??

Farmor15 Wed 19-Sep-18 15:45:34

Just wondering how long you boiled it for and if you tried to reduce the sugar? Some bacteria produce spores which survive boiling but with normal sugar content of jam, they shouldn’t be able to grow.

OldMeg Wed 19-Sep-18 15:59:40

Very odd!

vivvq Thu 20-Sep-18 15:01:59

I've used the same recipe for years - 1lb sugar to 1 pint juice boiled to 105c and then boiled until setting point. The jelly was vinegary when I opened it.

M0nica Fri 21-Sep-18 13:49:36

Did you thoroughly sterilise the jars and whatever you sealed the jars with twist-lids/paper

Jalima1108 Fri 21-Sep-18 14:50:38

Was the sugar properly dissolved before you started heating it up to jam setting point?

On my jam thermometer the temperature for jam is 110C, however, I have never seemed to manage to get it up to that temperature and have resorted to the wrinkle method again.
Did you sterilise the jars in the oven?
I usually pour the jam into the jars hot then seal straight away and hope to hear the 'pop' as the vacuum seal goes.

I wonder of there was something on the blackcurrants? Did you grow them or buy them?