Gransnet forums

Food

Recipes

(23 Posts)
JasseJackson Fri 15-Nov-19 13:54:30

I want to recommend this recipe - Tomato Cucumber Salad greenann.com/recipe/tomato-cucumber-salad/
Ingredients:
2 Tomatoes
3 Cucumbers
1 Red Onion
2 sprigs of Fresh dill
1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Pinch of Sea salt
Pinch of Black Pepper
Simple and Tasty!)

misty100 Tue 16-Oct-18 17:16:39

Have just lost the recipe for three ingredients scones. Can anyone help? I am useless at this computer stuff and have only just joined gransnet an hour or so ago. Its quite amazing. Thanks if you can help

Moocow Sat 06-Oct-18 23:31:01

There's a WI cookbook by members published a few years ago along the idea you have OP. I'll see if i can find the details for you.

Greenfinch Sat 06-Oct-18 21:43:06

Usedtobeginger Well done ! grin

Newatthis Sat 06-Oct-18 20:42:28

Thank you usedtobeginger for both recipes. I love the stories from everyone -anymore recipes?

UsedtobeGinger Sat 06-Oct-18 19:43:26

I wonder if this is the Parsley pie humpty?
recipesfromacornishkitchen.blogspot.com/2014/05/parsley-pie-yet-another-very-old.html
Greyduster, I'm an edge girl, best of both worlds!
Greenfinch, both of my Betty Crockers sold this morning in aid of Yorkshire Air Ambulance

Greyduster Sat 06-Oct-18 19:23:29

Forgot to say - I was firmly in the “corners” camp!?

Greyduster Sat 06-Oct-18 19:20:54

Wow, usedtobeginger, that brought back some memories. My mother used to make seasoned pudding to accompany rabbit stew, and slow roasted belly pork. I am drooling at the thought.....

Greenfinch Fri 05-Oct-18 17:10:36

Good for you usedtobeginger.Everyone loves my Devils Food Cake and that too is Betty Crocker.It never fails unlike my poor apology of a chocolate cake. There is a shop in Hythe that sells cake mixtures loose by the kilo- all different varieties and I am told they are delicious.

humptydumpty Fri 05-Oct-18 16:50:18

My mother made a wonderful parsley pie, which consisted of a pastry case filled with chopped parsley, help together with a couple of eggs (beaten) and sometimes chopped bacon plus seasoning - no formal recipe, but absolutely delicious!

Fennel Fri 05-Oct-18 16:41:52

I used to have a WW2 recipe book and tried some of the recipes.
The one I remember is sweet stewed baby turnips:
Fry gently a finely sliced onion.
Add about a pound of sliced baby turnips, and a tbsp of black treacle.
Then about half pint of water (or stock if you've got it.)
Stew slowly until the turnip is soft and liquid evaporated.
I think black treacle was one of the few sugar products available in WW2. Veg. locally grown.

UsedtobeGinger Fri 05-Oct-18 13:47:00

PS
Currently cooling in my kitchen is a perfect Victoria Sponge I've made for a charity coffee morning tomorrow.
So should I disclose that it's a Betty Crocker or not!

UsedtobeGinger Fri 05-Oct-18 13:37:31

I'm new here so don't know if a copy and paste will work.
This one of mine from a recipe book I made and had printed for a charity.
Here goes!

Seasoned Pudding

Great Gran was in service at “ t’big house”. Every Christmas this was the first course – a mixture between Yorkshire pud and stuffing, served with the turkey gravy. Your guests will quickly form into 3 groups, those who like edges, corners or middles! It’s very old fashioned with a huge calorie count but I’ve never known anyone not to be bowled over.

Half a small white loaf, not fresh. Grate like they did then, or process to make crumbs.
2 large onions
4oz suet
3 tblsp porridge oats
3 eggs
2 tblsp plain flour
Milk (about 1 pint)
Sage (dried, at least a third of those little jars)
Salt & Pepper – lots
Lard – for the original taste, oil for a slightly healthier one.

Oven 200c, Gas 6, Fan 190.

1. Chop and par boil the onions, drain in a sieve
2. Mix eggs and flour to a stiff batter.
3. Boil milk then pour over crumbs and mix to a porridge type consistency
4. Add onions, oats, suet, sage and seasoning to crumbs.
5. Mix in batter and stir well.
6. Heat plenty of lard in a large roasting tin until smoking about 5 minutes.
7. Quickly pour mixture into tin, you may need someone to hold the bowl while you scrape because it’s heavy.
8. Bake for 50 – 60 mins. Until well browned.

When perfect – or “a good year for t’pudding” it should be brown and crispy top and bottom but soft and gooey in the middle. It should be very highly seasoned.
The good thing is your guests will be so full you can buy a smaller turkey- a true Yorkshire recipe!

Newatthis Fri 05-Oct-18 13:28:39

I did the same thing. However, I forgot to take off that plastic corrugated sleeve before serving it, but after I had declared I had baked it myself - ooops! This was in the 70's, before I was married and couldn't even boil an egg. Needless to say I have since become quite a good cook and a reasonable baker so no more fibs!

Greyduster Sat 29-Sep-18 12:32:19

Gaga you bad girl!?. I have to confess that I made such a mess of the cake I was cooking for DH’s birthday that I fell back on a certain Mrs Crocker! Everyone said it was so good, I have bought another?! Back to the original post, when I was a child, my mother used to make Anzac biscuits, and I loved them. I made them for my own children and now for my GS. You can find the recipe - and their history - on line!

Gagagran Sat 29-Sep-18 09:32:24

My Mum always baked everything we ate including bread. I can still see her face of derision at anyone who produced "shop-bought" baked goods! My DD is much the same and always asks "is it home-made?" She, like her Gran, makes all her own cakes etc. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree does it? grin

Now I have a confession. I once won first prize in a village fete, for a jar of lemon curd which I had bought from Waitrose and transferred into a pot with a hand written label on it. blush

kittylester Sat 29-Sep-18 08:46:29

I can remember my mum looking down on a neighbour who used cake mixes - though my mum could find an excuse to look down on anyone!

gmelon Fri 28-Sep-18 22:00:25

newatthis
To be caught using a mix was a hanging offence in her circles.
It was the late sixties and she was a lady of leisure. She didn't work.
The Crescent we lived In was full of wives who baked for themselves,the church and what seemed like most of the town.
The next door neighbours were the vicar and his wife and church fetes etc were discussed over the garden fence. I get the impression that a cake was the measure of the women.

Fennel Fri 28-Sep-18 15:41:53

Sorry I haven't any recipes like that, though I have a handwritten recipe for apple cake from a 90+ old lady I used to visit.
Memories of baking-
During wartime baking ingredients were difficult to find. Mum once let me make a sponge cake. As I proudly took it out of the oven I dropped it.
Another time Gran let me bake unsupervised and the result taste horrible - I had used salt instead of white sugar.
sad emoticon for both.

Newatthis Fri 28-Sep-18 15:30:51

gmelon - why did she do this - was she a secret cake eater? Not planning on writing a cook book. My overseas students have asked me about food in the UK and I thought it would be good to also give the history and background of the recipes.

Doodle Thu 27-Sep-18 18:39:30

You're not planning on writing a cookbook are you newatthis? Sorry no recipes I'm a terrible cook.?

gmelon Thu 27-Sep-18 18:22:58

This is a great idea.
I've none to recall though.

My grandma smuggled powdered cake mixes into the house, hidden in the bottom of her shopping bag.

Then hid them at the back of the larder. Batter mix too.

As a tiny child I'd go shopping with her daily. I can still feel grandma's guilt burning if my grandma bumped into a neighbour whilst harbouring a secret cake mix in her bag.

Melting moments are nice, from the past recipes that seem to have died out.

Newatthis Thu 27-Sep-18 11:24:16

Hi Everyone,
I am appealing to you lovely ladies for recipes which have been passed down to you from grandparents/parents and are local to your area, especially the lesser known ones. Also, if you know the history/covenance of them such as - Cornish pasties being made they way they are so the miners could hold them etc. I would also like to hear the nostalgia - 'sitting watching Grandma bake' for example. I would be grateful please if you could pm me or write them on this thread so as we all can try them. Many thanks.