Gransnet forums

Food

Shouting at the Radio

(16 Posts)
felice Thu 04-Oct-18 12:50:50

Mayonnaise does not contain BUTTER it is already Dairy free. What are they talking about on Radio 4 just now. Salad Cream I assume.
Sorry had to get that out, I make Mayonnaise almost weekly and have Supermarket (Delhaize) own brand for catering, NO BUTTER.

kittylester Thu 04-Oct-18 13:34:04

A shoo might be selling it a butter free so they can charge more. It happens with gf stuff!

Jalima1108 Thu 04-Oct-18 14:14:21

I hope they heard you felice!
They need to learn some basics of cookery

felice Thu 04-Oct-18 14:32:16

They were in the Iceland experimental lab,,, and going on about removing Butter from Their Mayo.
Maybye they are not selling enough.
Although, nearly every event I cater for I have to explain to someone that Mayo is Dairy free!.
It does concern me at times that people do not know which foods they can or cannot eat if they have an allergy or intolerance.

I am catering for a concert/party next weekend and asked the host to put on the invitations asking if anyone had allergies. She did not, and I am going to have to label everything no problem, but easier to know in advance.

Jalima1108 Thu 04-Oct-18 15:07:47

I have just seen some recipes online for mayo with butter.
Perhaps it's an American thing, as I don't think they were European recipes.

MiniMoon Thu 04-Oct-18 15:22:50

I've made my own. Oil, egg yolks, vinegar. No butter whatsoever!
I wonder how many people will phone radio 4 to point this out?

M0nica Thu 04-Oct-18 17:10:52

If there is butter in it, it is not mayonnaise. Salad cream does not contain butter either.

Fennel Thu 04-Oct-18 18:53:34

One of my aunts was a farmer's wife and made mayo with full fat cream. I don't remember the other ingredients.

1974cookie Thu 04-Oct-18 19:04:42

Definitely NO butter in Mayonnaise.
For those of you who have never made Mayonnaise, Delia Smith has a wonderful recipe for Quick Mayonnaise that is so easy, and uses the whole egg instead of just the yolk.
I have made it often, and it is exellent.

M0nica Thu 04-Oct-18 19:42:55

Fennel, it may have been delicious, it may have been a salad dressing, but it wasn't mayonnaise.

I checked up Wikipedia en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayonnaise. Cream does not appear in the recipe at anytime.

Fennel Thu 04-Oct-18 20:42:55

It was ages ago, but I vaguely remember thinking the same thing, M0nica.
We used to lather it over homegrown lettuce. I don't think they had access to any other salad ingredients. Maybe potatoes, radishes. Anglo-Scottish border.

phoenix Thu 04-Oct-18 22:21:07

Radio 4 seems to be guilty of getting a bit lax, at times. On PM this evening Carolyn Quinn referred to children as "offerings".

I sincerely hope she meant "offspring", unless of course there is some sort of hidden BBC satanic cult that she inadvertently mentioned........................shock

Farmor15 Thu 04-Oct-18 23:37:48

Maybe they were confusing mayonnaise with Hollandaise sauce which does have butter.

Just had chuckle at “offerings” - my first thought was some kind of ritual!

phoenix Thu 04-Oct-18 23:47:56

Not just me then! grin

gmelon Fri 05-Oct-18 06:57:53

Phoenix and farmir15
I had the complete opposite though, I thought
"offerings from God "
You two are naughty and I am nice wink
grin

gmelon Fri 05-Oct-18 06:58:54

farmor15