Gransnet forums

Food

Everyday veggie cookery books

(23 Posts)
bigmomma Tue 23-Oct-18 16:27:13

I have recently started to take an interest in veggie cooking , not on principle (sorry!) but as Dear Delia said "Good food is good food" I have tried several recipes and have enjoyed them but they don't seem the kind of thing one would eat every day. How do you satisfy a couple of adolescent boys? Not with little bits of this and that. Surely they can't be filled up with beans, bread and potatoes?

Any recommendations for everyday veggie cooking would be very welcome.

suzied Tue 23-Oct-18 16:29:43

I love the Bosh cookery book
www.amazon.co.uk/BOSH-Recipes-Amazing-Plants-fastest-selling-ebook/dp/B0722J1XDB/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=bosh+cook+book&tag=gransnetforum-21&ie=UTF8&qid=1540308487&sr=8-1

Fennel Tue 23-Oct-18 18:01:07

I have one that I bought in 1972 when we were veggie for a few years.
Rose Elliot -Not Just a Load of Old Lentils. It's a classic.
I still use some of her recipes.

Madgran77 Tue 23-Oct-18 18:45:52

Sainsburys does a good basic veggie one in its series which has nice recipes

Jalima1108 Tue 23-Oct-18 19:35:45

I had one which I think was called 365 Days ofVegetarian Recipes but I gave it to a friend whose husband became vegetarian.

You can still order it online, I think. I didn't make many of the dishes before I gave it away, but there should be plenty of satisfying meal suggestions in the book

Jalima1108 Tue 23-Oct-18 19:37:29

This could be it, although obviously much updated over the last 20 or so years!
www.goodreads.com/book/show/23609334-365-days-of-vegan-recipes
www.amazon.co.uk/Vegetarian-Recipes-Cookbook-Cooker-Beginners-ebook/dp/B00PWANTW4?tag=gransnetforum-21
other retailers are available

Jalima1108 Tue 23-Oct-18 19:38:11

sorry, the first one is vegan

Treebee Tue 23-Oct-18 19:51:06

My favourite is Rose Eliot’s New Complete Vegetarian.
How about looking in your local library and checking some out?

bigmomma Tue 23-Oct-18 20:25:46

Thank you for your recommendation. I peeped on Amazon and it is an impressive-looking book

bigmomma Tue 23-Oct-18 20:32:12

Thanks to everyone for their helpful suggestions. I shall now do some happy investigating. I have heard of Rose Eliot and shall look out for her new book as it sounds very good.

MiniMoon Tue 23-Oct-18 20:52:52

I always have a bag of soya mince in my freezer. You can make a fabulous Bolognese with it. It also goes well as the base for a shepherdless pie.
I'm sorry that I can't recommend any books. I just Google a recipe as I need it.

Nanagem Tue 23-Oct-18 21:47:40

The part time vegetarian is good, from amazon, or Mildred’s . If you eat quorn go on the quorn website there are lots of good ideas on there.

M0nica Tue 23-Oct-18 23:31:30

See what is on the cookery shelves at your local charity shop. They are always awash with cook books.

CocoPops Wed 24-Oct-18 18:40:00

I filled my adolescent children up with Rose Elliot recipes.
Rose Elliot's Complete Vegetarian Cookbook with over 1000 recipes. I still use lots of her recipes.

CocoPops Wed 24-Oct-18 18:45:19

Now updated and sold on Amazon " The new complete vegetarian". Still with over a 1000 recipes.

MrsJamJam Wed 24-Oct-18 19:12:18

Leith's vegetarian cookery. I am not a veggie but this is my go to book when I want good ideas for meat free meals. I expect a certain online shop would have it second hand.

jenpax Wed 24-Oct-18 19:31:41

Being vegetarian is fun.
I love Mexican food and make Quora fajitas a lot with lots of roasted veg and home made guacamole; if cooking for adults I soak the Quora in tequila and lime juice!
There are lots of fab Thai foods to try too. I like a coconut and lime veg curry.
lots of Italian dishes lend themselves well to vegetarianism my favourite is a vegetable lasagna or pasta dressed in garlic olive oil with sautéed courgettes, leeks and mushrooms sprinkled with melted cheese (vegan variety is fine) and lots of black pepper.
Also I recommend Quora (or linda McCartney) sausage casseroles packed with chick peas and carrots and served with sweet potato mash.
I also like making Indian food much of which is vegetarian anyway or try Middle Eastern food like a vegetable tagine.
So many receipes can be easily adapted for vegetarians especially with such a vast range of meat substitutes veggie mince is great in Bolognese or for a cottage pie for example

polyester57 Wed 24-Oct-18 19:37:58

I have been cooking veggie since my son went vegan about 12 years ago. I don´t use cookbooks anymore, any recipe can be adapted to vegetarian or even vegan. I know all about cooking big meals for big boys. And if you´re only thinking of cooking vegetarian, ie. can use milk, cheese and eggs, there are almost no limits. And you don´t have to use soy or tofu substitutes either, Favourites here are lasagne, use lentils instead of meat; burgers, use grated beetroot instead of meat; large portobello mushrooms with a stuffing; vegetable stew; breaded fried cauliflower; chickpea and spinach curry, etc. Just choose an ingredient and google a vegetarian recipe for it. Good luck. I find it much more rewarding than throwing a bit of animal gristle into a pan. Though, having said that, I do, still cook meat, my husband would be without it.

Fennel Wed 24-Oct-18 19:56:08

I would never use Quorn etc - we still have a lot of veggie meals. There's such a big range of pulses available as protein substitutes.

Blondiescot Wed 24-Oct-18 20:31:54

I also highly recommend Jack Monroe's books - while not all her recipes are vegetarian, the vast majority are, and all use everyday ingredients, so they're great for anyone on a budget.

jenpax Thu 25-Oct-18 07:39:44

I like Quorn products myself and do recommend them! But others don’t and they aren’t essential to vegetarian cooking, I also use smoked tofu a lot and like cauldron products too

Madgran77 Thu 25-Oct-18 10:26:35

A good minced meat substitute is minced up mushrooms! Just whiz in a chopper or blender the use exactly like mince in a recipe but if frying needs a bit of olive oil and don't fry as long as you would mince!

bigmomma Fri 26-Oct-18 21:26:29

Thanks again for the wonderful selection of books and for all your advice. My computer had a hissy fit yesterday and sulked until the engineer came round to cheer it up so I wasn't able to write straight back. x