Gransnet forums

Food

Making fudge

(12 Posts)
teabagwoman Fri 02-Nov-18 12:41:25

I’m planning to make some fudge at Christmas, something I haven’t done for ,years. In the past I’ve made it in the microwave but have come across a lot of recipes using a slow cooker. Has anyone done this? Would you recommend it?

Auntieflo Fri 02-Nov-18 13:07:44

Sounds good. Can’t wait for the recipes to start coming in.

codfather Sat 03-Nov-18 23:39:02

Easiest way is to Google it! Try "cooking fudge in slow cooker" and lots turn up! This is one of them: allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/42146/slow-cooker-chocolate-fudge.aspx

teabagwoman Sun 04-Nov-18 06:31:47

Codfather, I have googled and, as you say many recipes come up. In my experience there may be many recipes but that doesn’t necessarily mean that there’s any great advantage to making it in a slow cooker so I was asking for people’s experience. Judging by the response Gransnetters are not rushing to make their fudge that way so I think I’ll stick to my tried and tested microwave recipe.

Omaoma57 Sun 04-Nov-18 07:33:10

I used to make a lot of fudge for the children and always used my heavy presure cooker base...never thought to use a slow cooker...will have a look on Pinterest!

GabriellaG Sun 04-Nov-18 08:04:16

I always use a normal pan, size dependent on the amount you make, condensed milk (or the caramel flavoured connie onnie) or cream and brown sugar etc. I flavour with whisk(e)y or rum and sometimes half coat in dark chocolate.
Plenty of recipes on YouTube

MawBroon Sun 04-Nov-18 08:06:42

Has anybody suggested asking Theresa May for advice? gringrin

aggie Sun 04-Nov-18 08:10:17

Maw grin

Lindaloulabel Sun 04-Nov-18 09:00:00

Always use the ‘Carnation’ method, don’t do it that often as end up eating the lot (over a day or two obviously).??

Janicenicholls5 Sun 04-Nov-18 11:57:20

Surprised it’s suitable for a slow cooker because you have to reach the boiling point for the sugar to caramelise. But try American sites as they are way ahead of us with the slow cookers for their ‘pot roasts’ .

teabagwoman Sun 04-Nov-18 12:13:54

It seemed to me that making it in a slow cooker was a bit of a phaff as you have to stir every 15 minutes but if lots a Gransnetters had come back saying that they make wonderful fudge that way I would have given it a try

seacliff Sun 04-Nov-18 12:35:24

No advice re slow cooker sorry. Just to say a friend makes tablet, which I think is of Scottish origin, and is so buttery and delicious. I prefer it to the smoother fudge.