Gransnet forums

Food

Organic milk or what?

(9 Posts)
MiniMoon Sun 04-Nov-18 14:49:45

Today for pudding I made a traditional nursery favourite, semolina pudding. I made it the way I always do. Mixed the semolina with milk, brought it to the boil, simmered it for a few minutes then added the sugar. I put it in a buttered dish and baked it in the oven, as we like the golden brown skin on the top.
What happened!!!
When I took it out of the oven it had split into what was, in essence, curds and whey. I used semi skimmed milk as always, the only difference was that the milk was Yeo Valley organic milk.
Do you think that was the cause of it splitting? And if so, why?

Craicon Sun 04-Nov-18 15:09:29

I think it’s more likely that the milk was not as fresh perhaps? Do you keep the milk in the fridge door or further back where it’s colder?
I find that milk bought in one local supermarket seems to last longer than the milk from a different supermarket despite buying them on the same day, so I stick to one specific supermarket for my milk.

MiniMoon Sun 04-Nov-18 15:20:17

It was new milk, only bought last night with the use by date of 10th Nov. My fridge is cold enough too. I know the milk isn't off, or on the turn.

janeainsworth Sun 04-Nov-18 15:39:30

Is the organic milk pasteurised minimoon?
If it isn’t, it may contain bacteria like some natural yoghurts do.
It may be that when you warmed the milk and added the sugar, that got the bacteria going and caused the separation?
I’m just guessing and will be interested to hear what others have to say.
The other cause could be your oven was too hot. Possibly!

MiniMoon Sun 04-Nov-18 15:57:29

It's pasteurized and homogenized, fresh as can be. Oven at the usual temperature. In fact when the children were little I used to cook it in the Aga and it never split.

MiniMoon Sun 04-Nov-18 16:00:25

When the children were little we didn't have organic milk. I wonder if that was the reason for the curds and whey? DH has just told me that a lady who works with him used the same kind of milk for cakes, and she had to throw them away as they were spoilt.

janeainsworth Sun 04-Nov-18 17:27:15

The consensus seems to be overheating or heating too quickly.
www.thespruceeats.com/prevent-milk-from-curdling-when-cooking-996067

MiniMoon Sun 04-Nov-18 20:08:16

I'm going to make another with ordinary non organic milk, and see what happens.

M0nica Mon 05-Nov-18 07:23:28

The fact that the milk is organic will have nothing to do with it. To put it simply organic simply means that the cows have eaten food, grass and silage, grown on land that has not been fertilised with inorganic fertilisers and that the cows have not been routinely given antibiotics.

I routinely cook with organic milk and I have never had any problems at all.

minimoon when we were young we probably did have organic milk, because farmers then did not routinely use fertilisers on pasture, beyond that produced by the cows themselves nor were antibiotics routinely fed to cattle.

The organic label and standards only started being publicised and marketed as such when milk production became industrialised in the 1970s and 1980s