Gransnet forums

Food

Im new to Lidl and Aldi at Christmas .

(142 Posts)
gmelon Tue 06-Nov-18 21:29:56

I wonder if you will share your tastiest and favourite buys from Christmas at Lidl and Aldi.

I've never lived near one.
This year they've built a massive Aldi and I'm near a Lidl too.

I'm aware there was a bit of a thread going a while ago with some content but this one is completely dedicated to the lovely tasty subject.

Chewbacca Wed 14-Nov-18 22:28:41

Oooh, thanks for the heads up Maw, ive seen their candles and diffusers and wondered if they were ok. They've got a large selection of Christmas scented ones in too at the moment. Time for another visit.

annsixty Wed 14-Nov-18 20:57:19

I can't usually do a big shop now at Aldi and get a delivery from Sainsbury's weekly but when out last Thursday with a friend, we called in to use the cash machine and
I grabbed their Gold Roast instant coffee granules.
I noticed a small piece of lamb, described as butterflied leg, it was small but only £4,.99.
I cooked it tonight and it was delicious, just enough for the two of us, but we are not big meat eaters, may be sparse for big appetites.

Brunette10 Wed 14-Nov-18 20:09:48

Good to know Maw, normally use M and S but will try Aldi ones tomorrow. Thanks

MawBroon Wed 14-Nov-18 19:53:41

Aldi room fragrance diffusers are identical to Jo Malone - No 1 is Lime, Basil and Mandarine, No 3 is Pomegranate Noir and at £3.99 each, about a tenth of the Jo Malone price!
Two wick scented candles likewise.

Deedaa Wed 14-Nov-18 19:42:14

DD and I always use Aldi dishwasher tablets. All the Christmas stuff is good, but sadly they seem to have stopped the panforte which was half the price of Waitrose.

KatyK Wed 14-Nov-18 12:32:29

I've had fitted cotton sheets (double) from Aldi, £4.99 and pillow cases £1.99 a pair. They are great. Just been up to look for more today but they hadn't got them.

Purpledaffodil Tue 13-Nov-18 18:59:55

Always use Aldi d/w tablets which do a good job. Even better they now have a dissolving outer casing rather than a fiddly plastic case to take off. #firstworldproblem ?

GrannyGravy13 Tue 13-Nov-18 18:49:16

I bought Aldi d/w tablets on Saturday, they cleaned the Sunday lunch dishes and roasting pans fine (normally buy branded ones when on offer on Waitrose) .

JackyB Tue 13-Nov-18 18:27:14

When I had my kitchen fitted, as part of the service, a lady came to show me how to work things and give me some tips. Although I had been rather dubious about someone telling me how to run my kitchen, she did give me some really useful tips. One was that you can use any make of dishwasher products, including Aldi, but you should always use the same make of everything. (Salt, cleanser, etc)

Brunette10 Tue 13-Nov-18 18:14:22

I have just bought for the first time dish washer tablets from Aldi. Has anyone tried them? If so comments please if possible.

MissAdventure Tue 13-Nov-18 16:55:58

Yes, I've seen Aldis wine being sold in a nice hotel/pub too.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 13-Nov-18 16:53:16

Daughter and I shared a bottle of Aldi’s Pink Organic Prossecco on Sunday and it was as good if not better than some very expensive pink champagne ???

KatyK Tue 13-Nov-18 16:49:12

I love Aldi's wine too. We had a laugh on holiday recently when we were in a posh pub and they were selling the exact wine we buy from Aldi for £3.99 a bottle, for £4.50 per glass!

Charleygirl5 Tue 13-Nov-18 16:22:49

Aldi's wine is excellent and so much cheaper.

I would not care if I was seen in Poundland by anybody- being a Scot, I like a bargain.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 13-Nov-18 15:54:13

Their premium kitchen roll is as good as the branded one that apparently does everything!!

MissAdventure Tue 13-Nov-18 15:51:48

Not very exciting, but Aldis toilet rolls are excellent quality, all of the different ones I've tried.

Winniewit Tue 13-Nov-18 15:09:24

This is a wonderful post,,,im learning so much about what to look for,,thank you ladies,

EllanVannin Mon 12-Nov-18 14:46:02

I must say it all sounds very exciting for someone who's programmed to enter M&S which is just next door. I get a bit disorientated if I go in somewhere different to what I'm used to as I find myself wandering around like a lost sheep. I never used to be like this.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 12-Nov-18 14:30:43

I think the 6-8 must have no appetite at all. Or have a whole day tasting/testing that they just pick!!!

gmelon Mon 12-Nov-18 14:03:42

"grannygravy" I often wonder who the six to eight people are that joints, cakes etc are tested on.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 11-Nov-18 19:14:36

Reporting back on the stuffed boneless goose - very tasty, but the it is meant to feed 6-8, it barely fed 4 adults and a 3 year old (and one of the adults (me) eats hardly any

GrannyGravy13 Sat 10-Nov-18 19:30:26

For research purposes I have bought and shall be cooking Aldis Stuffed Goose for lunch tomorrow- I shall report back!

Marydoll Fri 09-Nov-18 20:16:02

I went to Lidl today and DH tagged along to help with the bags.
I had a voucher for £5 off a £30 spend, which was all I was planning to spend, as I didn't need much.
It was a big mistake to take DH, I spent £80! grin

Jalima1108 Fri 09-Nov-18 20:13:53

I was trying to get the attention of an assistant in Waitrose today, but he seemed more intent on hiding behind the wine display confused - I had no idea what he was doing as he kept dodging from side to side.

annodomini Fri 09-Nov-18 19:42:32

One thing that annoys me about Aldi is that there is rarely a member of staff around to ask for information or help. Today I couldn't reach the kind of crackers I wanted and couldn't find anyone tall enough to get them down for me. I have given up trying to get soda water as the bottles are never accessible.
I suppose that if they had more people around to help, the prices would have to go up.