Gransnet forums

Food

Pulled pork

(24 Posts)
Floradora9 Sun 11-Nov-18 15:55:54

Have you ever made or tasted pulled pork ? I see recipes for it and even saw it in the supermarket ready made. Looks horrible to me and I do not think I could get away with producing it for a meal for DH. It reminds me of an uncle who was invited to lunch by my cousin and his posh new wife. The meal started off with French onion soup with croutins and melted cheese on top ( lovely ) . My uncle took one look at it and exclaimed " What the H* is this .

EllanVannin Sun 11-Nov-18 16:12:06

I haven't and I wouldn't like " messed up " food either. I'm a stick in the mud plain-cooked down to earth British menu type I'm afraid. Anything else would probably go through me like a Porsche.

merlotgran Sun 11-Nov-18 16:17:19

Pulled pork and jerk chicken?

grin

Baggs Sun 11-Nov-18 16:54:03

Pulled pork done properly is delicious. It's just a pork stew with the meat pulled apart rather than cut. No big deal.

Baggs Sun 11-Nov-18 16:54:59

Which reminds me to do it again some time soon. Ages since we had it but it's very suitable for MrBaggs's low carb diet.

Baggs Sun 11-Nov-18 16:55:35

It doesn't have to be very spicy.

Nannarose Sun 11-Nov-18 17:00:19

It's really the American name for pork that has been cooked long and slow (eaten a lot in my childhood). It's called 'pulled' because as you pull at it with a fork it falls apart, and shreds, so you can put it in a sandwich or roll.
Flavour however you like, but I think the American term specifically refers to pork cooked with 'barbecue' spices.

Juggernaut Sun 11-Nov-18 17:04:01

We have pulled pork a lot in this house, I do it with a mild barbecue style sauce. Lovely served with rice and beans.
I also do pulled chicken and pulled minted lamb, which is just wonderful!
merlot wink

Welshwife Sun 11-Nov-18 17:18:28

I have eaten and enjoyed it. The recipes I have seen have been for shoulder of pork so not the most expensive cut. I have had it at barbecues in a roll etc which has been nice as well as a restaurant as a main course. It is always beautifully tender. I prefer the pork to beef which is the other one I have tried.

jusnoneed Sun 11-Nov-18 17:38:04

I've made it in the slow cooker, BBQ sauce lovely and tasty.
Shredded and put in some rolls.

MiniMoon Sun 11-Nov-18 18:54:09

I love pulled pork. It tastes best with homemade barbecue sauce. At least, I think so.

M0nica Sun 11-Nov-18 19:02:09

Yes, pulled pork is just pork cooked for hours at a low temperature so that it just falls apart it is delicious

merlotgran Sun 11-Nov-18 19:27:25

DH hates pulled pork. He's always moaning, 'Why ruin a perfectly good joint of meat just because you can't be bothered to roast it for the correct amount of time then carve it?

Knowing my luck, when the craze dies out it will be replaced by Massacred Mutton hmm

Melanieeastanglia Sun 11-Nov-18 22:46:34

At first, I thought it didn't look very nice. Then I tried some and found it tasty.

MawBroon Sun 11-Nov-18 22:52:44

Actually Nigella does an amazing slow cooked shoulder of lamb which I cook overnight in the slow oven then “pull” and serve with pomegranate seeds.
Not massacred at all!

FlexibleFriend Sun 11-Nov-18 23:08:15

I've eaten it frequently and enjoyed it every time, we use the slow cooker it's really easy.

Auntieflo Mon 12-Nov-18 09:41:56

I agree it tastes very nice, but looks terrible when on display in a supermarket.

PamelaJ1 Mon 12-Nov-18 09:44:02

We had pulled beef last night. AKA brisket!
Delicious.

B9exchange Mon 12-Nov-18 09:45:05

I prefer it in a roll with apple sauce, I'm a boring traditionalist!

Nannarose Mon 12-Nov-18 11:34:13

The point is that you are not ruining a good joint that would be better roasted. You are slow cooking a cheaper joint that would be tough otherwise. Very sensible.

Riverwalk Mon 12-Nov-18 12:20:18

I like pulled pork, as do my grandchildren.

I cook a shoulder of pork in the slow-cooker with spices and a cup of cloudy apple juice - served on brioche buns with side dishes of coleslaw and gherkins.

Blondiescot Sat 17-Nov-18 18:13:26

It's delicious - open your mind and try it, you might like it!

EllanVannin Sat 17-Nov-18 18:34:12

Reminds me of a BBQ I was at in Oz. Very little light outside and I was chewing on a variety of skewered " delights " and not wanting to appear rude and ill-mannered continued chewing for my life and couldn't get rid of whatever it was. I whispered to my D asking what it was because it felt for all the world as though I was chewing rubber bands. It was squid ( calamari ). My insides did a jig !
My system just isn't up to a change of menu, even though I'll try anything. I preferred a sausage sizzle after that.

Buffybee Sat 17-Nov-18 23:39:05

Loving your expressions Ellan!
Laughed out loud at "anything else would probably go through me like a Porsche" and "my insides did a jig"! ?