Gransnet forums

Food

Looking for ideas

(18 Posts)
oldbatty Tue 13-Nov-18 18:01:42

Can you help me at all? We are staying in a cottage and son and gf joining us for one night. The cost of eating out is too much so I am quite happy to take something. I have run out of ideas! Something like a casserole or pie? Can anybody give me a fresh take on this please?
The cooker at the place isn't the best.

HootyMcOwlface Tue 13-Nov-18 18:03:33

Chicken and pasta?

J52 Tue 13-Nov-18 18:13:13

I often make beef in brown ale casserole, or pork in cider casserole.
They both will be happy after cooking on a low oven temp until they’re needed. Ideal if you’re not sure of arrival time.
Serve with green beans and baked or mashed potatoes.

mumofmadboys Tue 13-Nov-18 18:13:21

Fish pie?

Buffybee Tue 13-Nov-18 18:23:38

I like both J52 and mumof ideas.
The only thing I would suggest, if the cooker is a bit dodgy, is to pre-make it at home, then warm it up at the cottage.
P.s. I really want Beef in Brown ale casserole now! ?

Brunette10 Tue 13-Nov-18 18:29:26

Large tray of home made lasagne, works a treat. Tasty with salad and/or garlic bread. Yummy???

oldbatty Tue 13-Nov-18 18:32:23

thanks folks, the cooker is fine for warming up and I am a reasonable home cook.
Everything is starting to taste a bit the same, although I did beef with star ainise which was nice.

kittylester Tue 13-Nov-18 18:33:45

I was going to suggest lasagne, fish pie or shepherd's pie. Just veg to do then!

Cherrytree59 Tue 13-Nov-18 18:49:38

Do you have a slow cooker or Halogen oven to take with you?
Slow cooker for stews etc.
Halogen will cook full chicken dinner or just baked potatoes.
Also good for cooked breakfast.
Both can be left on.

Auntieflo Tue 13-Nov-18 18:54:44

Oldbatty, are you renting the cottage? I only ask because if you are, surely the cooker should be a good working one.
All the suggestions, given so far, sound delicious.

craftergran Tue 13-Nov-18 19:01:02

a chilli. serve with nachos, sour cream and gaucamole

oldbatty Tue 13-Nov-18 19:05:51

It works ok, I just won't be doing souffles in it any time soon!!

Maybe a proper chilli from a recipe. If I could find this skirt of beef/star anaise thing it was nice.
Actually, I'm thinking now, I have a tagine.

Telly Tue 13-Nov-18 19:23:59

The last few times we have stayed in a cottage we had had a Waitrose delivery on the first day. Made sure there were a couple of almost ready meals etc. It works well and saves lugging a lot of stuff across the country. Might be worthwhile thinking about next time!

oldbatty Tue 13-Nov-18 19:48:21

thanks Telly, its just the family meal I'm slightly concerned about. After that it will be the 2 of us and ready meals and beans on toast will be out go to meals!

M0nica Wed 14-Nov-18 15:11:02

If you really want to impress; venison casserole. Just an ordinary beef casserole recipe needed and replace the beef with venison then add a reasonable amount of cooked peeled chestnuts. Cook it for a long time before you go and then reheat.

oldbatty Wed 14-Nov-18 15:40:15

mmm that sounds very nice indeed.

Fennel Wed 14-Nov-18 17:58:58

I once made this for a family get together:
www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/one-pot-recipes/moroccan-baked-chicken-with-chickpeas-and-rice
I made it in a large foil container then it just neede to be heated up.

oldbatty Wed 14-Nov-18 18:23:22

That sounds excellent and if you follow her recipes properly, you always end up with a great result.