Gransnet forums

Food

Christmas cake, almost a disaster ?

(32 Posts)
tanith Sat 17-Nov-18 17:01:12

So this morning I got all my ingredients on the side ready to make Grandmanorms Christmas cake. I lined the tin got my brown paper and string ready to wrap round the tin and had soaked my dried fruit in tea (don’t do alcohol).

I creamed the butter and sugar in my large mixer then began to add the eggs one at a time then disaster struck as egg no3 went in the mix appeared to split I added a little of the flour but no it was still runny with large lumps of congealed butter. I googled what should I do and as suggested I put the whole lot through a sieve to try and save it but as soon as I put it back in the bowl and with my hand mixer this time tried to coax it back together with a little more flower but it wouldn’t be rescued.
I gave up at this point and luckily I just had enough eggs and butter left to try again this time I did the whole thing with my hand mixer and it was perfect and is in the oven as I type.

So can anyone tell me what happened please as I’m flummoxed ? everything was at room temperature so that’s not it by the way but I’m sure someone here will have the solution ?

Telly Tue 20-Nov-18 13:15:05

I never worry if the cake splits, I might put in a tablespoon of flour, but really with a heavy fruit cake I can't see it making much difference.

sarahellenwhitney Tue 20-Nov-18 12:34:23

I have an old Bero cook book and it says add the eggs whole. I have done both wisk and whole and both have separated. Couldn't have made any difference to the cake as no one ever said 'no thanks' to another slice.

Teetime Tue 20-Nov-18 09:07:56

In Delia smith's Christmas book which I have used for years her Christmas Cake recipe says dont worry if it curdles a bit it will still taste delicious. as this is a very dense cake anyway you aren't really looking for a 'light as a feather' sponge.

tanith Tue 20-Nov-18 07:48:00

Isn’t it strange how we use words differently, the word curdle to me means something is on the turn or gone off. For instance milk or cream that’s past it ?

gmelon Tue 20-Nov-18 00:17:30

Thinking about it I think the cookery books and programmes describe it as curdle.

gmelon Tue 20-Nov-18 00:16:38

Yes, I'd say curdle but following suit on the thread and saying split.
As to the North/South terminology I'm a Londoner and as stated above say curdle.

SueDonim Mon 19-Nov-18 23:44:13

I'd use the term curdle if I was starting a conversation about a cake mix but I use split if that's the terminology first used. To me, they're interchangeable.

gmelon Mon 19-Nov-18 23:30:40

Thank you gonegirl I've always had this problem, different ovens but only two recipes over the last thirty odd years. I'll put it on lower. I keep meaning to buy an oven thermometer.
First recipe was Rich Fruit Cake from Dairy Book of Home Cookery, now its a lovely one from Sunday Times book of Seasons.

Gonegirl Mon 19-Nov-18 19:19:43

Black treacle and golden syrup would make a rich mixture, so the low heat would be very important.

Gonegirl Mon 19-Nov-18 19:17:51

I think that can only be due to having the oven too hot Gmelon. Nothing to do with the ingredients. Long slow cooking is called for.

gmelon Mon 19-Nov-18 19:14:44

If a mix splits I have always carried on mixing the recipe as normal, I've not had any bad results or any difference in appearance or taste.

What I would like to know, if I may hijack expand the Christmas cake conversation, my cake seems to be happy to overcook and burn if not watched like hawk.
I have brown paper on the tin, have put a disc of paper on top for the final cooking time.
I'm using black treacle, golden syrup, dark brown sugar in the mix.

Gonegirl Mon 19-Nov-18 19:14:32

It's interesting to see how so many people call it "splitting" whilst I have always known it to be called "curdling". Is this is another North/South thing? "Splitting does describe it well.

Witzend Mon 19-Nov-18 19:00:14

? SueD

I recently found a nice easy way for Gdd (3 1/2) to make fairy cakes. Sod the proper way - creaming butter and sugar, etc. just melted the butter and let her mix the whole lot up together, eggs and all - though will add that I cheated a bit by adding a little bit of baking powder.
They rose better than the ones I make the 'proper' way!

We did end up with rather a lot of hundreds and 1000s on the floor while she was decorating them, but heigh ho.

SueDonim Sun 18-Nov-18 14:00:24

Interesting to see that other have experienced their cake splitting but it's gone on to be perfectly edible. My mix also splits at times but I carry on regardless and no one complains.

I did almost have a disaster with the Xmas pudding this week. I soaked the fruit in alcohol then made the pud a day or two later and left it in the mixing bowl, ready to transfer to steaming bowls later. It seemed a lot runnier than usual so I double-checked the amounts but I hadn't made an error there so I just shrugged my shoulders and decided it was one of those things.

A bit later on, when clearing up after dinner, I moved a tea towel that had been placed on something - and discovered the container of dried fruit soaking in alcohol, which I'd completely forgotten to add to the mix! confused grin

EllanVannin Sun 18-Nov-18 12:00:42

Continual beating while adding the eggs shouldn't have split the mixture-----but that bit's hard-going.

tanith Sun 18-Nov-18 11:32:38

Well thank you all for the advice I think I’ve just been too particular when baking in future I’ll bung it all in and hope.
This morning I rescued the mix I’d put in the fridge divided it in two and made two small light fruit cakes and a cherry cake and they came out of the oven perfect , hope they taste ok ?. So nothing was wasted .

Blue45Sapphire Sun 18-Nov-18 10:55:00

Haha, Maw!
I tend to bung everything in together as well when making my Christmas cake too, don't think it makes a lot of difference. Going to attempt a loaf tin cake today; the fruit has been soaking nicely in brandy overnight.

HootyMcOwlface Sun 18-Nov-18 08:56:24

That’s more like it Maw!

M0nica Sun 18-Nov-18 08:44:42

I confess, I put all the ingredients into my Kenwood and then mix them altogether without worrying about careful beating, combining and mixing. My Christmas cakes ( and any others) turn out fine.

tanith Sun 18-Nov-18 08:23:20

?? Maw

MawBroon Sat 17-Nov-18 23:55:37

funnyshit.com.au/xmas_cake.html

Maggiemaybe Sat 17-Nov-18 23:33:36

You’ve just reminded me. Last year I made my usual (or rather Delia’s) Creole Christmas cake, got all the ingredients together, including the fruit that had been marinating in copious amounts of booze for a week, mixed well, bunged it in the oven. A full hour later I spotted the butter that was still softening in a bowl over by the radiator. The cake was baking nicely when I pulled it out of the oven and whisked it all up again with the missing ingredient, then threw it back in to finish baking. It was as good as ever a couple of hours later. Christmas cakes are very resilient!

B9exchange Sat 17-Nov-18 22:57:32

I tend now to throw the sugar, butter and eggs into the mixer and whizz them up, (it will split but this is expected) and then add all the flour - perfect cake!

cornergran Sat 17-Nov-18 22:50:06

I’ve never worried. I add flour with each egg, some split, some don’t. The end result seems to be the same. You’re a much more careful cook than I am tanith. I’m sure your cake(s) will be delicious.

SpringyChicken Sat 17-Nov-18 22:43:07

I heard Mary Berry say once that if the mixture splits, it won't be such a light cake. As Christmss cake isn't light anyway, I shouldn't worry.
I add a little flour with each egg.