Gransnet forums

Food

Christmas cake disaster

(12 Posts)
Luckylegs9 Sun 23-Dec-18 19:38:46

I have ruined the cake I made by putting too much alcohol in it, it is too wet and is edible. It cost a fortune to make but I can't expect anyone to eat it.would it hurt the birds if I feed it to them as I used so much alcohol or should I just bin it? Never in 50!years have I ever ruined a cake, I won't ever do one again.

aggie Sun 23-Dec-18 19:43:23

serve it with ice cream as a pudding ? To Adults only !!!

aggie Sun 23-Dec-18 19:44:00

make it into trifle

Buffybee Sun 23-Dec-18 19:50:11

As aggie suggested, it would make a lovely desert with cream or ice cream.
If there's too much, portion it up and freeze and you have special deserts for a few months over the Winter.

Buffybee Sun 23-Dec-18 19:53:51

Mix some with apples and make into Strudel.
Send some to me ?

MiniMoon Sun 23-Dec-18 20:50:08

I was going to offer simiar xxx advice to those above. Cut it up, put it in a basin and steam it. Serve it with brandy sauce or custard. Yum.

MiniMoon Sun 23-Dec-18 20:50:53

Where do the xxx come from?

EllanVannin Sun 23-Dec-18 20:57:42

A luscious Christmas pud. Make some white sauce it'll be delicious.

paddyann Sun 23-Dec-18 21:06:58

make an ice cream with it ,my aunt used to make christmas pudding ice cream with leftover pudding so it should be the same

MawBroon Sun 23-Dec-18 21:39:09

No such thing as “too much alcohol”

Fennel Mon 24-Dec-18 12:17:54

Luckylegs my sympathy.
I had a baking disaster yesterday too. I made some spice buns ( yeast recipe). Started at 2.30 pm and by 7pm they were almost baked. so I thought, I'll turn the oven off and leave them in for 5 more minutes.
But instead of turning it off I mistakenly turned it to the pyrolytic cleaning programme. Soon the horrible smell alerted us - the buns were carbonised on top.
Managed to cut off the burnt layer, but the smell still lingers.

Beechnut Mon 24-Dec-18 16:16:12

I agree with Maw.
I don’t know what I would do with it but it would be eaten. I couldn’t throw it out.
Giving it to the birds.....I don’t think they would know which way to fly for winter after scoffing your cake. ?