Gransnet forums

Food

Fray Bentos Pie Tin

(14 Posts)
tiredoldwoman Fri 28-Dec-18 18:51:41

Just when you think you've eased Christmas problems a bit , what comes along ?
The Fray Bentos Steak and Ale Pie Wrestling Competition !
I was given it from someone's hamper - I havn't seen one for years and hope never to see one again .
It won the wrestling competition , I couldn't get the tin to open fully despite going round and round with the strongest tin opener I could find . I had to put it in the oven with the lid still dangling - I hope the bugger's delicious !

glammanana Fri 28-Dec-18 19:01:52

My F.I.L used to buy them and he used to have a wrestling match with the lid every time he tried to open one.
I always think of him when I see them in the shops,its not something I would ever buy as it always seemed to be a case of spot the steak & kidney tchgrin
I do hope you enjoy your supper,you deserve it after all that trouble.

Greyduster Fri 28-Dec-18 19:23:30

Gosh I remember those! Thought they were delicious back in the day. I’d be afraid of being disappointed if I ate one now. I hope it’s worth the effort!
Our particular poser this Christmas was a bottle of Chivas Regal DS gave to his dad. It came out of its box - with the security tag still attached! When we pointed it out to him he was mortified. He still had the receipt and offered to take it back to the supermarket where he bought it, but DH cut it off with a hacksaw!

Luckygirl Fri 28-Dec-18 19:27:24

Fray Bentos beef pies are one of the few things that OH will enjoy eating. Who am I to grumble? - just open the tin and stick it in the oven!

BBbevan Fri 28-Dec-18 19:32:02

Well remember those fights. We had a big dent in a kitchen door where one bounced around the kitchen . My DD was only 3 but still remembers the incident

tiredoldwoman Fri 28-Dec-18 19:32:45

I ate it. Not very good at all - I had to eat 5 Roses to recover from it !

GrandmaKT Fri 28-Dec-18 19:33:33

My dad still buys and eats these occasionally.
They featured in one of those "how we used to live" programmes last year. The family were living as if they were in the 1970s. One evening the parents went out to the working men's club, leaving the teenagers to cook for themselves. With much hilarity, they opened and cooked the tinned pies, then sat down to eat them - one each! I wonder what they would think if they knew one of those pies used to feed a family of four!

Jessity Fri 28-Dec-18 19:35:32

Fray Bentos! Not seen those in donkey’s years, they are lost in the mists of Angel Delight, Kia Ora orange squash, Findus pancakes, etc. Didn’t rate those, but Fray Bentos could sometimes come in handy.

Greyduster I love the Chivas Regal story.

Anniebach Fri 28-Dec-18 19:46:54

First meal I cooked after marriage,

craftergran Fri 28-Dec-18 19:51:28

Fray bentos pies and those boxed Vesta curries until I learned to cook

Beau Fri 28-Dec-18 19:56:59

That made me smile GrandmaKT - the first time my mum bought a cheese and tomato pizza in Safeway (never having seen or heard of pizza previously), she sliced it into 5 tiny pieces and we were more than happy - same with the Fray Bentos pies which we also had frequently. You don't have to be a genius to work out why people are getting bigger, do you?!

phoenix Fri 28-Dec-18 20:00:20

When I used to have a "proper" job, and would often have to go away on business, I would break it to Mr P by presenting him with a bag containing the number of Fray Bentos pies that equated to the number of nights I would be away! grin

Can't stand them myself, but each to their own!

oldbatty Fri 28-Dec-18 20:03:49

Oh dear Annie, I thought it would be some lovely Welsh creation.

Anniebach Fri 28-Dec-18 20:37:05

batty, it was the day after our wedding, being January we decided to have our honeymoon in the summer ?