Gransnet forums

Food

New Pressure Cooker

(27 Posts)
Craftycat Sun 30-Dec-18 12:32:20

DH has bought me a King Pro plus electric pressure cooker. I confess I am terrified of pressure cookers as my Mum always seemed to be blowing them up- I remember having to help get the stew off the kitchen ceiling on more than one occasion!
Does anyone have any tips? I am just about to try an Oxtail casserole which is supposed to take 30 mins.
If I can get used to it it will save an awful lot of electricity & time I know. It is also a slow cooker & does rice, pasta, fish, puddings etc. so other than baking I could use it for most meals-if I can just get used to it.
I have to say it is totally silent & when steam comes out you can't hear it at all. Maybe they have improved beyond recognition!

phoenix Sun 13-Jan-19 16:54:56

Thank you Mamissimo

I have just had a look in there, the Instant Pot is over £100! The King Pro Plus is around £60. Not sure that the current budget would allow for the Instant Pot.

Mamissimo Sun 13-Jan-19 16:43:47

I have an Instant pot and love it. I got mine on Amaz* at a really good price. I didn’t have to curse the gammon this Christmas because it took care of it easily ?

phoenix Sun 13-Jan-19 16:09:42

Bumping for more advice!

Mr P is open to lifting the embargo, if I can convince him of the benefits!

phoenix Sat 12-Jan-19 15:59:57

Bathsheba is the Instant Pot electric? Also, is there a chance you could post a link?

Only 2 of us in this housr, but often batch cook to put some in the freezer, so guessing that the 5 litre might be the right option?

Bathsheba Fri 11-Jan-19 20:13:26

I'm looking forward to making Yoghurt.
Is this the Pressure King Pro you're talking about Craftycat? I didn't think it had a yoghurt function?

Bathsheba Fri 11-Jan-19 20:09:59

So, once the spending embargo has been lifted, which one should I consider?
To be fair, I've only used the Instant Pot (and can't recommend it highly enough!!). Perhaps something to consider is the availability of spare parts (sealing rings, valves, replacement inner pots, etc) and accessories, all of which are widely available for the Instant Pot, though I've heard that these are not so easy to come by for the PKP. I may be wrong there, so don't quote me - it was something a friend complained about a year or so ago and things may have changed.
On the other hand, of course, the PKP is a good deal cheaper to buy than the IP. Plus, because of its extreme popularity, the IP is frequently out of stock on Amazon sad

Craftycat Fri 11-Jan-19 19:55:19

Nandalot-I have the 6 litre one & there are nly 2 of us. My husband bought it. I would probably have got 5litre.
However as we have grandchildren staying often I am glad for the extra size.
Just had a gammon joint with all the veg etc. done it pot. Really gorgeous in only 20 mins & only one pot to wash. I'm looking forward to making Yoghurt.

craftergran Fri 11-Jan-19 18:44:43

I use a stove top pressure cooker and have never even heard of an electric one.

Learn something new everyday.

I hope you get on fine with it, I love my pressure cooker.

phoenix Fri 11-Jan-19 18:29:31

So, once the spending embargo has been lifted, which one should I consider?

phoenix Fri 11-Jan-19 18:17:52

Thank you Bathsheba, your response is appreciated! I will definitely give it some thought, although Mr P has introduced a spending cap at present, due to having the decorator booked to do the sitting room next week.

MiniMoon Fri 11-Jan-19 17:37:40

My daughter had RA, and found her pressure cooker too heavy. She replaced it with an electronic version and loves it. She gave her stove top one to me. I have never used a pressure cooker ? so I gave it a go yesterday. Unfortunately I had it on too high a heat, and the soup caught on the bottom. I will try it again, but it is heavy to lift.

Bathsheba Fri 11-Jan-19 17:24:08

I have an Instant Pot which I absolutely love and wouldn’t be without. It’s great for knocking up a quick meal - just throw in veg, chopped chicken, pasta, stock, then turn on and walk away. No watching, waiting for it to boil, it’ll just do it for you and beep when it’s ready. I regularly make yoghurt in mine too, which is just wonderful! (Not sure whether the PKP has that function?). Steam vegetables, cook hard or soft boiled eggs, cook dried beans without pre-soaking. You can set a timer delay so that it starts cooking when you want it to, and then it’ll go to ‘keep warm’ when it’s done. Oh and you can use it to prove bread dough, though I haven’t tried that yet. There is so much it can do.
phoenix, I would give it some serious thought - I don’t think you’d regret buying one!

phoenix Fri 11-Jan-19 17:09:25

I have never had, or used, a pressure cooker! blush

Still work 3 full days a week, so don't always have the time or energy to do certain meals on work days, I do have a slow cooker, which is used fairly often.

Do you think I should look into one of these electric ones?

And if so, what would you recommend for a pressure cooker virgin?

(Haven't checked out prices yet!)

Nandalot Fri 11-Jan-19 16:52:57

What size King Pro would you recommend for three adults and two children? Would the 5L one do as it is a much better price? Thanks.

Craftycat Fri 11-Jan-19 11:58:58

Has anyone made a steamed jam or chocolate pudding in the One Pot? I was wondering if I can just use the bowl for it?
I have family coming over on Sunday & I am doing a roast but fancy trying the One Pot for the pud.
I made butternut squash & parmesan soup yesterday- lovely.

littleflo Sun 06-Jan-19 18:32:34

We had trouble getting one too. We got it from Amazon prime in the end. They are very popular, I thing they are available direct from the manufacturer.

Auntieflo Sun 06-Jan-19 13:55:42

Just found your post, and it seemed to leap out as I had retrieved my old stove top, pressure cooker from the garage at lunch time, to make some soup.
It’s kept in the garage as I have no room for it in the kitchen cupboards.
I wondered what I have been missing, with a new gadget.
So, I looked up your KingPro plus, and it would appear that John Lewis no longer sell them on line, and don’t know if they will be back in stock.
Does this mean they are not popular? Or have they been inundated with buyers and cannot replace their stock?
Just interested, that’s all.

Craftycat Sun 06-Jan-19 12:30:54

Used slow cooker function yesterday which also worked very well. I have fried & steamed with it too. I can see that it could only be baking I will be using ovens for from now on. I wish I'd had one years ago.

Hilltopgran Wed 02-Jan-19 23:43:40

I have been debating and wondering whether to get one for some time now. Years ago I used one frequently, but it was the old hob type. I think I may have to get one after reading of your success.

I also have childhood memories of Mother filling the house with steam and exploding lids as well, it terrified me as a child!!

Craftycat Wed 02-Jan-19 22:28:26

Thank you. I have used it 3 times now & I am very impressed. It is so quick & everything had been great so far. I am intending to use it for every meal this week to get used to it.
We have had a casserole, chops & a curry so far & all delicious at a fraction of the time they would have taken previously. Only one pot to wash too. I'm loving it.

PECS Mon 31-Dec-18 10:59:21

Sorry..never used an electric one..but have always had a cooker top one. Mum had one so learned from her. Touch wood no casserole on the ceiling yet!

Greyduster Mon 31-Dec-18 09:33:19

I’ve been looking at those too. They seem like a good idea. I’ve been using a pressure cooker for fifty years - I’m on my third, but I dropped the latest one and it now has a dent in it so I don’t feel it’s safe to use it at pressure, so a new one is on the cards.

Miep1 Mon 31-Dec-18 09:31:31

PKP are absolutely brilliant! I suggest you look up the PKP group on Facebook who can answer all your questions, share copes etc. Happy cooking!

littleflo Mon 31-Dec-18 09:23:11

I have used a hob pressure cooker throughout the whole 50 years of my marriage. Now we have an electric one and I am In heaven. My tip is that things take much less time than you think, especially if you are allowing it to de-pressure naturally.

Also, if you are putting pearl barley or making a thick stew, use the trivit. This saves cleaning the bowl as much because it tends to stick on the bottom a bit. At first I put too much liquid in mine as I was used to my old pressure cooker losing steam. The electric ones are much more efficient, but to begin with I would add just al little more liquid until you are used to how it works. You can always thicken it up or, as we do, use the excess for soup or stock for another dish.

I hope you get as much pleasure from it as I do.

Teetime Sun 30-Dec-18 12:39:29

I used to use a pressure a lot when I was working and it made the most delicious stews very quickly. Other than that my experience is minimal. I hope you get to grips with it- probably make a very nice curry or chilli.