Gransnet forums

Food

Has anyone tried the Greggs vegan sausage roll?

(76 Posts)
TrixieBakes Tue 08-Jan-19 10:06:57

My local Greggs don't seem to have it. Has anyone tried it? Is it worth searching out?

goodeone Thu 07-Feb-19 07:28:18

I finally tried a couple on Tuesday and was pleasantly suprised. I enjoy mine and will buy one againThey are big than those Holland and Barrett sell. The fact tbey were warm no doubt improved them l do not like any cold vegan sausage rolls. I hope Greggs will now expand their vegan range.

Shirls52000 Sat 02-Feb-19 10:36:30

I ve tried one and I can honestly say that if someone offered me one and told me it was meat I wouldn t have known the difference, it was delicious

goodeone Sat 02-Feb-19 08:55:02

I have been vegan 25yrs and l am delighted that Greggs now offer a vegan sausage roll. I eat heathy so l dont buy from Greggs much. Still if l can't get anything better at least it would keep the hunger pangs away.

Davidhs Mon 14-Jan-19 08:03:21

Suzied. There is plenty of Vegan propaganda broadcasting lapses in welfare regulations and laws, anyone found guilty deserves whatever penalty they get. You have your opinion of how you wish to eat and live your life and that's fine by me.
Don't portray meat eaters who are obeying every law and regulation as a bad people just because they do not agree with you and your lifestyle.
Or do you have a personality disorder compelling everyone else to be like you.

PECS Sun 13-Jan-19 15:49:30

and it will get worse when /if we start trading with areas where animal welfare and food hygiene is even less stringent.

suzied Sun 13-Jan-19 15:16:59

The U.K has the strictest animal welfare and environmental standards on the planet, no country does it better,
This is not strictly true, we are in the top 10 but come behind Austria and Switzerland. Germany and the Netherlands are up there too.
www.scoopwhoop.com/countries-with-strict-animal-welfare-laws-in-the-world/#.qace2fnlq
At the end of the day, animals are slaughtered to eat or when they have ceased to be exploited, and this is never done in a good way is it? Abattoirs have become hugely industrialised - Facebook is awash with hideous videos taken inside slaughterhouses in the UK. A recent one showed a cow having her tail cut off with bolt cutters because she was not moving up to get stunned quickly enough. Sickening. Male chicks are thrown alive into macerators. I don't want to eat dead bodies. I know people are used to this culturally, but we have much more of a choice these days.

EllanVannin Sun 13-Jan-19 14:43:51

Oh the batter's okay it's the quantity that I pour into the frying pan that I can't judge properly.

PECS Sun 13-Jan-19 14:40:21

Ahh! I can do a good batter for pancakes or puddings!

EllanVannin Sun 13-Jan-19 14:37:55

Mum's pancakes were to die for, but mine are either too thick or like lace doily's.

EllanVannin Sun 13-Jan-19 14:35:40

Poor you PECS. I use Stork for pastry baking, though admittedly my own pastry is never as good as my mum's was, so I blame the poor quality of the ingredients smile
Mum used pure lard, something I haven't tried.

PECS Sun 13-Jan-19 14:19:18

Ellan Vannin only if you can make good pastry! I am rubbish at it! I cook and bake all sorts but am never happy with pastry I make.

EllanVannin Sun 13-Jan-19 13:45:50

The write-up in the daily fail doesn't reckon to these by stating about the amount of palm oil used.
I don't like bought pastries so won't be trying one.
It's easy enough to make your own sausage rolls/pasties and they're much nicer.

PECS Sun 13-Jan-19 13:42:49

As an omnivore ( well except shell & oily fish which I do not enjoy) I could be vegan because I eat a wide enough range of pulses, veg, fruit to cover the range of nutrients to keep me healthy. I already take a Vit D supplement so could add B12 1. I would miss some of my favourite dishes though! It would take time to get used to no eggs and to get a taste for vegan 'cheese'. As I have said before I fully appreciate the logic of reducing meat production but I would still miss some things!

Nelliemoser Sun 13-Jan-19 12:59:17

Tescos do a very good soya based sausage.

PECS Sun 13-Jan-19 12:16:55

www.getsurrey.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/greggs-vegan-sausage-taste-test-15647589?fbclid=IwAR3wZMdl_NQZ2UmIPxBmfARwn9d446nGTUNeQt2KNuFFHifG6jqXJ5FFvnQ

Razzy Sun 13-Jan-19 12:06:45

Vegans and meat eaters can be healthy or unhealthy. Look at the USA. 2% are vegan yet 40% are obese. I'm not sure you can say that vegans have gaps in nutrition when we are told we should eat 5 portions of fruit and veg per day (or more) and yet only 10% of Americans eat that many. According to this article, there are huge health benefits from eating more fruit and veg. Eating 10 portions a day could cut cancer cases by 7.8million. I would guess that the majority of vegans would eat more fruit and veg than the majority of omnivores, because all vegan food is plant based.

www.theguardian.com/society/2017/feb/23/five-day-10-portions-fruit-veg-cut-early-death

Of course, there are healthy vegans and unhealthy vegans too. Same as meat eaters. So what does meat give us that we cannot get from eating vegan? The only thing that is hard to get without eating meat is B12, so many vegans do supplement. Of course, many meat eaters take vitamin tablets too, because they don't get enough nutrients from their diet.
Many food products are naturally vegan, so many people eat vegan foods without knowing. But vegans try and not use any animal products. A bit like if you say you are a carnivore but actually you eat some fruit and veg and chocolate too. Even if you don't manage to be 100% vegan, it still hugely reduces the number of animals killed and the amount of resources used.

Davidhs Fri 11-Jan-19 16:26:34

Veganism is an emotional choice made by less than 1% of the population, yes you can be healthy on a vegan diet although I would question that a vegan diet is healthy for a growing child.
Vegans don't consume animal products, meat, milk, eggs, fish, wool, leather and several other items, it is easy to see that leaves a lot of gaps in nutrition. If individuals want to live that way it's fine by me, but there are no partial vegans you are or you aren't, it is fashionable to say you are vegan, but then you cheat.
The U.K has the strictest animal welfare and environmental standards on the planet, no country does it better, and 99% of us are content with that

Susan56 Fri 11-Jan-19 13:23:43

My husband has just tried the vegan sausage roll and given it the thumbs up.We are vegetarian not vegan.Think I will give it a miss though as I am not keen on quorn sausages.

Grammaretto Fri 11-Jan-19 12:49:29

LullyDully yes it is but there is usually egg white in the processing.
However I stand corrected as varian says there is a vegan quorn.
Well. Isn't it complicated!

LullyDully Fri 11-Jan-19 07:58:24

PS I understood quorn was made.out of some type of fungus.

LullyDully Fri 11-Jan-19 07:56:33

Just wondering what type of fat is used in a vegan sausage. Just come from olives or some sort of nut.

jenpax Fri 11-Jan-19 07:54:27

I don’t think every Greggs stock these. I popped into the small one near me and there were none on sale there. However as others have said Linda Macartney do them (although frozen and have to be cooked at home) Quorn do them and also Holland and Barrett’s. I am not generally a Greggs customer (this was my second visit) but I would be happy to try the vegan sausage roll if they decided to stock it.

varian Fri 11-Jan-19 07:30:56

I believe there are two types of quorn- one type is made with egg white and there is another type without (which is OK for vegans)

Grammaretto Fri 11-Jan-19 07:26:34

How can these sausage rolls be vegan if they contain quorn. Quorn is made using egg. wink

MissAdventure Fri 11-Jan-19 00:40:59

I don't see anyone attacking, just discussing.