Gransnet forums

Food

Marmalade oranges

(16 Posts)
PECS Sun 20-Jan-19 09:03:11

I won first prize for my St Clement's marmalafe once! Might have made more this year but DH was given 4 jars of marmalade for Christmas.

jellybeanjean Sun 20-Jan-19 08:19:16

Interesting replies, thanks to all. I will start hunting around tomorrow ?

HildaW Sat 19-Jan-19 19:58:21

I used to make a lovely marmalade - but not from Seville oranges as always found that a bit too bitter for our family. Instead I followed a 3 fruits recipe even amounts of lemon, ordinary oranges and grapefruit. It always made an interesting yet 'grown-up' flavoured marmalade.

EllanVannin Sat 19-Jan-19 19:40:02

I once brought home a bag of Seville oranges and my friend did the honours of making the marmalade. I just love going through all the orange and lemon groves in Spain there were also oranges crossed with grapefruit trees too.

PECS Sat 19-Jan-19 18:29:17

I was on holiday in Seville one Feb half term and all the orange trees in the town squares were being stripped of their fruit!

EllanVannin Sat 19-Jan-19 18:19:22

I remember mum making marmalade and it was not long after Christmas when the big pot used to surface along with a row of washed jampots on the pantry shelf.
Just delicious with a chunk of home made bread, it was a meal on its own.

Prior to that I can remember an uncle who was a steward on the White Star Line ( as it used to be known ) who used to supply us with large tins of marmalade ( USA ) just after the war, amongst other food products. Good stuff.

Suki70 Sat 19-Jan-19 17:09:50

We bought two lots in cardboard boxes from Waitrose last week. DH made marmalade with one box and the other's in the freezer.

PECS Sat 19-Jan-19 17:03:19

I think they are in the shops in cardboard boxes.
£2.79 a kilo on Ocado!

Nanabilly Sat 19-Jan-19 16:18:21

My mil used to make the best marmalade I've ever tasted and she used those huge tubs of orange ?? you buy in the supermarket especially for marmalade making . So it's something to fall back on it you have missed the fresh Seville oranges

grandMattie Sat 19-Jan-19 16:10:48

And to answer the question - the Seville oranges are usually from about 6th January to 6th February. The early ones tend to be nicer than the later ones.

grandMattie Sat 19-Jan-19 16:09:52

I was just about to start a thread wondering how many people have made their marmalade this year! I've just finished - about 90 pots, mostly for WI and various fetes over the year - so no you haven't. But I have noticed that all my usual suppliers, bar one, have very small, light oranges this year. Only our farm shop have "proper", fat, heavy big oranges.

MrsEggy Sat 19-Jan-19 15:38:42

Bought about 3 kilos from our local farm shop last week and have frozen them to use later - they seem quite small this year, but look good. Haven't bought shop marmalade for many years!

Sussexborn Sat 19-Jan-19 15:12:39

Got some today from Sainsbury’s. Double the price of the ones we bought in a street market. Home made spoils you for shop bought IMO.

Ilovecheese Sat 19-Jan-19 15:03:36

We got some last week from the greengrocer and saw some in Morrisons on Tuesday. (We are in Manchester)

Blondiescot Sat 19-Jan-19 15:01:26

I haven't seen any around here yet either - I'm trying to remember when I managed to get some last year.

jellybeanjean Sat 19-Jan-19 12:41:18

Have I missed them in the shops? I always make my own marmalade and I'll be disappointed if I can't this year confused