Gransnet forums

Food

Careless whispers?

(12 Posts)
PECS Mon 04-Feb-19 08:08:09

Feeling excited..our little deli in town is expanding and has invested in hoppers to sell loose dried goods to reduce packaging. #littlethings

Marmight Mon 04-Feb-19 05:04:12

I have never had a home delivery from any supermarket, unlike all 3 DDs who swear by them (and complain when the unavailable loo rolls are replaced with a box of tissues or a cucumber grin). I prefer to select my own produce and am more often using farm shops, local village shops and independent retailers rather than using the Big Boys although I understand how useful home delivery is for those unable to get out to the shops.
How the circle has turned in the last 40 years or so. I think we'll have a few interesting months post Brexit on the shopping/availability/cost front...

oldgaijin Mon 04-Feb-19 00:18:08

We have a cracking little fish shop in the village and the fish travels 16 miles from Peterhead, so you can't get much fresher! I wouldn't touch supermarket fish with a bargepole...you never know how old it is or where it comes from. I bought skate wings from Tesco...never again, they reeked of ammonia.

NanaandGrampy Mon 28-Jan-19 09:03:19

Out of all the delivery services I would rate Ocado number 1 so I would welcome them tying up with M & S . I think it could be a winner!

PECS Mon 28-Jan-19 07:55:56

I have just begun to use online delivery before Christmas when I could not walk far..not even a supermarket aisle. I use supermarkets for store cupboard stuff but use local butcher, fish shop deli and greengrocer for fresh. All arrives in the lorry now sad I think that some retail will use the Brexit debacle to make cuts/ hike prices. Some may be justified some not! Profit is needed for business to work... but are they expecting too much of a profit? Are there other places to cut rathervthanjobs on the shop floor?

Anja Mon 28-Jan-19 07:35:57

Local shops are fighting back. I can get fish, meat and baked goods locally in paper bags (waxed, compostable ones for meat and fish) and loose vegetables, again in paper bags.

This is a big plus for me, and many others I think. Supermarkets equal everything in plastic.

Tesco is on a downward trend. They closed online ordering (apart from groceries) a while ago.

BradfordLass72 Mon 28-Jan-19 07:02:42

Are you seeing a resurgence of the small, local shops now then?

Supermarkets feeling the pinch? Who would've thunk it?

Charleygirl5 Sun 27-Jan-19 12:43:53

I only drink M&S jars of coffee and I would love to have those delivered because once I stop driving it will be difficult to take these home on the bus.

I think they would make a mint provided they did not charge too much to deliver.

BlueBelle Sun 27-Jan-19 12:35:12

Well as we don’t have a Waitrose in my area and ocado don’t deliver either I ll stick with Lidl and Morrison’s and not worry to much

GrannyGravy13 Sun 27-Jan-19 12:33:59

I would be delighted if M & S had home food delivery.

grannyactivist Sun 27-Jan-19 12:33:47

Not actually very secret those talks, are they? grin

GabriellaG54 Sun 27-Jan-19 12:31:52

What's this I read?
Will it be triumph πŸ˜„πŸ€œπŸ»πŸ€›πŸ» or tears πŸ˜’πŸ‘ŽπŸ»?
Will you be changing your shopping habits, or are these simply careless whispers in the retail sector?
I, for one, would be pleased to see M&S venture into the home delivery sector but that means Ocado giving Waitrose the boot in 2020 when their contract ends.
It's very much a dog fight on the high street at the moment, with Tesco proposing the shutdown of their in-store bakeries, fish and meat counters across more than 700 of their largest stores...subject to discussion with staff.
It's all change, but is it change for the better?