Gransnet forums

Food

Husbands who cook ??‍?

(158 Posts)
lemongrove Sun 03-Feb-19 20:00:37

Whenever we watch an Escape To The Country the husband always seems to be saying that he is the main cook, and needs a big kitchen to bash the pots and pans around.
My DH cooks once a week usually, and even that seems to be unusual amongst my friends, who’s DH’s never do more than prepare a sarnie.Do yours regularly take over the kitchen and make several meals a week? Lucky you, if so.envy

narrowboatnan Mon 04-Feb-19 21:57:39

I’m not allowed to cook! Having had to have the fire brigade out twice early on in our marriage it was decided that DH would do the cooking. He pays attention to what he is doing and has never, as I did, tried to flambé a set of plastic kitchen scales (resulting in fire engine number 1). I rustle up sandwiches and do a pretty good beans on toast, boiled, fried, poached or scrambled egg and, as long as I set the timer so I don’t burn anything I do enjoy baking. But dinners are his province. It’s safer that way.

SueDonim Mon 04-Feb-19 21:40:47

My Dh has always cooked. In the early years it was sausage and mash type meals but his repertoire has expanded since then! We've always shared making meals and even if I'm cooking he'll help with preparing ingredients.

When I broke my leg five years ago he had to take over doing everything, apart from folding clean laundry, which was all I could manage for a while. He's always been self-sufficient, due to having been in the armed forces, so he's good at making a plan with military precision!

lemongrove Mon 04-Feb-19 21:36:38

My cousin once returned late from a shopping trip with friends ( about 3 pm) and her pretty useless in the house DH said that he was glad she was home as he was getting very hungry ......he hadn’t even made himself a sandwich.

lemongrove Mon 04-Feb-19 21:34:24

Lucklegs the kind of men who can’t boil an egg will probably be hunting for wife number two I guess.grin
In the end, very few widowers starve.

LinAnn52 Mon 04-Feb-19 21:26:00

My DH never cooks, and is happy to leave all meal planning to me. However, he does all the clearing up after meals, leaving the kitchen nice and tidy, and is very good at helping with general housework.

broughton Mon 04-Feb-19 21:14:12

Dh often cooks (usually decide what together ), frequently clears up and does ironing and his share of the housework. His mother brought him up to do chores. She did a great job. We both used to work very long hours and share childcare so it is fair that we both share household tasks.

Overthehills Mon 04-Feb-19 20:52:02

DH does the shopping, makes bread and marmalade. He cooks at least once a week. His repertoire is a bit limited but I’m grateful. He’s been know to serve a meal with five different veg - he likes his veg!

Luckylegs Mon 04-Feb-19 20:04:26

I do think (dare I?) that a man should be able to cook a little so they aren’t completely lost when their wives die or leave them or whatever! I also think this is the case for women with DIY or filling oil in the car and so on. There are courses for usually elderly men to learn simple cooking and, I imagine, there will be courses for women as per above. It’s not fair to leave men unable to do more than stick something in the microwave or make some toast, surely?

ClaraB Mon 04-Feb-19 19:59:19

I did the cooking for 15 years and then wasn't well so DH decided to have a go and absolutely loved it. He now does most of the cooking and says he finds it very relaxing. He never comes up with the ideas of what to cook and likes me to make that decision, I often just give him the ingredients and away he goes - it's like Ready, Steady Cook. The results are amazing though and this evening he has cooked tilapia in a creme fraiche, white wine and leek sauce with roasted vegetables and sweet potato, it really was delicious.

mrswoo Mon 04-Feb-19 19:51:52

mrwoo took over the majority of the cooking 12 years ago when he was off work sick for 6 weeks following a heart attack. He continued doing the cooking even when he returned to work. Now that I’ve retired and he’s still working I’ve started to cook again so we now take it in turns.
I remember my dad didn’t have a clue about cooking. Once, when I was very young and unable to help, my mum was ill in bed and dad decided to cook sausages. He put them in the oven, left the door open so he could watch them cook, pulled up a chair and sat staring at them! Needless to say they took forever to cook but he was extremely proud of his efforts.

JaneJANE60 Mon 04-Feb-19 19:39:30

My husband cooks most of the time. He is so much better at it than me and enjoys it. Sadly my two sons are not so domesticated despite having a dad who has always cooks. I blame him for that ha ha

Drwatfam Mon 04-Feb-19 18:28:14

MrDrwatfam is a dab hand in the kitchen . He looks all the time. Roast dinner , curry , cakes . He does a superb Bread and butter pudding. I am very lucky. There's really only a few things he won't attempt . The doesn't do pastry or lasagne ( the white sauce anyway ) but he's a treasure . Trouble is he uses every available dish and pan and leaves a terrible mess . It's a small price to pay though . We have a dish washer !

4allweknow Mon 04-Feb-19 18:23:16

A sandwich is his limit. If I am standing in the kitchen giving instructions he could boil potatoes and some other veg but he would never volunteer to cook a meal.

sandye Mon 04-Feb-19 18:12:35

No my OH does not cook, he would struggle to turn the cooker on! If he did you would certainly not want to eat it!!! He is good at growing things though and cleans through everyday also does all the washing up so can't complain

ElaineRI55 Mon 04-Feb-19 18:08:45

I am very lucky that my husband is a great cook and enjoys cooking. Since we got together about 17 years ago , he has done virtually all the cooking. I do desserts/cakes if we're having visitors. I've forgotten how to cook!
As one of my friends keeps telling me - he's hand-knitted. smile

Luckylegs Mon 04-Feb-19 18:04:43

I’m very lucky. My h does all the cooking always, thinks of what to make and everything. I do the washing up, shopping, cleaning, washing and ironing etc. It’s wonderful! He makes the best curries, Christmas dinner, everything. As someone else said, his food is so good that to go out for a meal is always a bit of a letdown which is a shame! However, I am completely deskilled! I can cook obviously if I have to but I’m not used to getting it all ready at the same time eg Sunday lunch!

Wheniwasyourage Mon 04-Feb-19 18:04:42

Mr When does the cooking since he retired. He does it for fun and enjoys trying out new recipes. I did it for years because we wanted to be fed, but never particularly enjoyed it. I do enjoy eating what he cooks though!

I like washing and do a lot of the rest of the housework, which I would rather do than cook. We share the shopping.

sheilann734 Mon 04-Feb-19 18:02:31

My husband cooks most of our meals and a cooked breakfast twice a week. He does tend to stick to the same
Dishes ,but I dont mind .I cook something a bit different once a week and I enjoy baking. I sometimes feel sorry for friends who say they have to do all the cooking as their DH 'couldnt boil an egg'. Anyone who can read can surely follow a recipe or simple instructions!

HurdyGurdy Mon 04-Feb-19 17:56:28

My husband could cook every night. But I would have to resign myself to a diet consisting solely of chili con carne and stir fry.

Oh and cheese or scrambled eggs on toast.

GrammaH Mon 04-Feb-19 17:41:59

GraffaC is not renown for his culinary prowess, alas. He does cook bacon & egg for himself at the weekend but that's about it. He drinks neither tea nor coffee & wouldn't have a clue how to operate my coffee machine although he might just manage to boil water & pour it over a teabag if we had a visitor & I was out. He did used to prepare veg when I was working to make my job as chief cook & bottle washer easier but since I retired 3 years ago, he's forgotten about that. My son has followed in his father's footsteps, although U believe he does a good omelette, and my daughter married a fantastic cook - alas, his kitchen talents weren't enough to keep them together. There's obviously more to a good marriage than a husband who knows his way round the kitchen - we've been married 38 years.

chrissyh Mon 04-Feb-19 17:36:37

DH cooks every main meal. I always cooked until DH retired early and I still worked. He started to cook because he enjoys it and who am I to stop him enjoying himself. The only problem is that I am the one that is out of practice now.

Katyj Mon 04-Feb-19 17:33:09

My husband has made a beef stew for tea, first time ever in 40 years. 5/10 but then again I've gone off stew wink

Happysexagenarian Mon 04-Feb-19 17:23:50

My DH started cooking family meals about 20 years ago when I was self employed. He said if he didn't cook we would have all starved, as I was totally absorbed in my work and hated having to stop and provide meals.

He actually enjoys cooking, which I never have. So now he does all the everyday meals, barring pies and casseroles, though he will help and prep veggies when I make them. He's a much better cook than me because he carefully watches things as they cook and times them. I can't be bothered, I just shove something in the oven and go off to do something more interesting and forget about it till I smell burning! DH makes a fabulous Sunday roast and boils dippy eggs to perfection. He draws the line at baking and cakes but we don't eat many anyway.

He also loads the dishwasher, and plans meals each week. We usually shop together and he budgets better than I do, keeps the freezer well stocked and grows vegetables in the summer. Add to that he brings me tea in bed every morning, brings in the coal for the boiler and puts the bins out every week. He's also familiar with the workings of the washing machine and dryer, and can iron perfectly well if he has to, but I usually take care of the laundry, cleaning, and changing beds etc.

I have no qualms about him managing on his own if he had to, but whether I could manage without him is another thing. But I hope that won't be for a very long time yet. He's a man in a million and I know how lucky I am to have him.

Two of our sons are also quite capable in the kitchen, but the other one lives on take-aways if DIL is away. He claims he can't find anything in the kitchen even though he built it!

Nonnie Mon 04-Feb-19 16:48:33

Mr N cooks but doesn't like anyone else in the kitchen so I leave him to it. All DSs cook and I think probably more than the dils. DH is of the opinion that if you can read you can cook, good for him. Apparently I load the dishwasher wrongly so I don't even have to clear up. However, if presented with an iron he would come over all helpless. I do other things some might consider traditionally male.

Granless Mon 04-Feb-19 16:26:57

My hubbie doesn’t cook, really - he could boil an egg. He says when I start knocking walls down, building walls up, decorating, putting in a new socket, then he will cook. I say, you’re 81, I think your days of building are over - cooking isn’t!