Gransnet forums

Food

Coffee Pod War

(39 Posts)
RosieLeah Wed 06-Feb-19 08:46:18

I don't know if we are allowed to use brand names on here, so I'll try to avoid doing so.
I have a coffee pod machine which is designed to take a well-known brand of coffee. However, there is a firm which makes a perfectly good substitute, which I have been buying as it is £1 cheaper than the branded one. At the moment, there seems to be a campaign to put this firm out of business. The supermarkets have stopped selling their coffee and for a brief period, had dropped the price of the well-known one. Now, of course, the price has gone back up. I hope other customers will do the same as me and refuse to play ball with the supermarkets. It is possible to buy the substitute on-line at the same price as the supermarket and post-free, and this is what I shall be doing. I hope others do the same.

Jalima1108 Mon 11-Feb-19 21:18:17

If I drank a lot of coffee I'd probably use my filter jug - as it is we only tend to have one cup of coffee a day and sometimes not even that.

BradfordLass72 Mon 11-Feb-19 20:48:51

This is the first time I've even heard of a 'coffee pod' - what a funny world we live in grin

BlueBelle Mon 11-Feb-19 20:18:05

I m with you Jalima think this is all a fad stick with my cup of decaf

nanny2507 Mon 11-Feb-19 19:44:18

i also have a ninja filter coffee machine, I have one pod coffee a day ..mostly sometimes 2 sometimes none..the rest of the time i have black filter coffee

NanaMacGeek Mon 11-Feb-19 15:16:12

We have a Hostess milk frother (other makes are available), it's not very big and we've had it for many years. We fill the frother jug with milk to below the maximum mark on the side and put it into the base unit. The base unit has three settings, cold milk for milk shakes and 2 heat settings, one for hot chocolate or hotter milk and a frothy milk setting. It turns off when the milk is ready and we spoon out the froth and a little of the hot milk underneath on to/into the coffee. Some milks froth better than others. It adds a touch of luxury to our coffee. We set the frother running as the Moka pot gurgles on the stove! We have friends who enjoy their espresso coffee when they come to us, so black coffee is good too from the Moka pot.

Anja Mon 11-Feb-19 14:23:35

Agree with those who say ditch the pods. I make a decent cup of coffee in my cafetière.

Jalima1108 Mon 11-Feb-19 13:55:31

It seemed a good idea at the time, but I'm sure it's not as efficient as an electric one anyway!

Pittcity Mon 11-Feb-19 13:42:25

We heat our milk in the microwave and then add the coffee. Makes a passable latte. The frother on our machine is used for cappuccinos or hot chocolate. We used skimmed milk which makes loads of froth with very little milk.
I find it easy to clean by rinsing immediately with hot water. Don't let the milk congeal!

janeainsworth Mon 11-Feb-19 13:20:48

Maybe that tells me what I need to know, jalima grin

Jalima1108 Mon 11-Feb-19 12:48:38

I have a battery operated one which I've never used.
It must be about 8 years old, perhaps I should find it and use it!

janeainsworth Mon 11-Feb-19 12:46:44

Someone mentioned an electric milk frother.
Are they worth it? Difficult to clean? Does the milk stay frothy?
At the moment I whisk the warm milk with a little whisk but the froth disappears after a few minutes.

PECS Mon 11-Feb-19 11:34:55

I am with you Hilda

HildaW Mon 11-Feb-19 11:25:32

I have refused to go down the coffee pod route. Its not even 'proper' coffee its a blend of what is to all intents and purposes, instant coffee, and ground coffee. Also the issue of what to do with all those used pods is a nightmare. I've stuck with a French press or a Filter and can try all sorts of different coffees, there are some wonderful small independent producers especially at Farmers Markets etc....the grounds then go in the compost...simples.

Marmight Mon 11-Feb-19 11:09:48

I don't drink coffee - simples!
For visitors I have a cafetiere which is rarely used. I worry about those metallic pod things clogging up landfills all over the world. What's wrong with an old fashioned coffee bean grinder and beans bought in a paper bag?

dragonfly46 Mon 11-Feb-19 10:25:15

Sorry PECS I should have said 'the' coffee!!!

PECS Mon 11-Feb-19 10:07:02

But it is not your coffee! It is the same as anyone elses who has your machine! ?☕☕☕☕☕☕

dragonfly46 Mon 11-Feb-19 09:46:01

My machine is a Philips Senseo and uses paper pods. Both can be bought on Amazon. My friends say my coffee is the best they have tasted.

PECS Mon 11-Feb-19 09:42:07

Nonnie with you there! Decent coffee has been made for centuries without the need for pods other than the ones coffee beans grow in! A n unnecessary money making trend that is impacting badly on the environment.

Nonnie Mon 11-Feb-19 09:37:22

Tartlet I suspect your sludge is because you are using finely ground coffee, try a coarser one and you will probably be OK.

I think the GC brand is made by Nestle which is enough of a reason to avoid it and I cannot see how they can recycle them enough to outweigh the damage caused by producing them. It is clearly not an ethical company so is probably twisting the terminology to make it look like it cares about the environment. You only have to read what it is doing about taking water from poor villagers to understand.

Beau Sun 10-Feb-19 20:32:57

The 'George Clooney' brand who now give all the machines away free for the signing of your pod supply contract do also take all the used pods back for recycling, I forgot that bit. If you like their coffee and drink enough to make it worth your while I really think the free machines are a marvellous idea - you don't have to give the machine back if you decide to end the coffee pod contract once the term is up ?

Pittcity Sun 10-Feb-19 19:58:57

Has anyone tried the reusable pods that you can buy online? You fill them with your own coffee, use and wash to use again.
I'd like to know if they're worth trying.

lemongrove Sun 10-Feb-19 19:44:11

I either make filter coffee ( paper inserts) or a cafetiere, all make good coffee if you buy a good brand like Taylor of Harrigate or similar.
Not keen on Nespresso made coffee at friends house though.

NanaandGrampy Sun 10-Feb-19 19:26:01

I think I use the same brand as you nanny2507 , we recycle them here in our village ( they are I think the only ones that can be recycled) .

Jalima1108 Sun 10-Feb-19 17:52:31

I'll stick with my instant decaff!
Then I re-use the rather nice storage jars it comes in for storing nuts etc.

nanny2507 Sun 10-Feb-19 17:52:22

i use the pod machine with flat discs and i cannot buy any other kind. i would happily buy a cheaper version though