Food

Recipes remembered

(5 Posts)
MissAdventure Sat 16-Feb-19 23:26:31

Oh they both sound delicious!
I must grow some mint this year.

BradfordLass72 Sat 16-Feb-19 23:23:36

My great-Auntie Minnie used to put mint into her coleslaw
and I've done that ever since. Mint always reminds me of Auntie Minnie.
She also made 'choppy' from the green tops of spring onions with mint, sometimes a dandelion or nasturtium leaf in a mixture of vinegar, hot water and sugar. Absolutely delicious with any cold meat.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 07-Feb-19 22:06:11

I use my Great Grandma's recipes for Christmas pudding, green tomato chutney and Christmas cake. Have tried different recipes but none can match hers.

M0nica Thu 07-Feb-19 21:19:58

Yes, my mother's recipe for beef curry in the Singapore YWCA cookery book, which I still have. A survivor of a childhood spent partly in the Far East, my father was an army officer. It brings back not just the food but the flowers, and the swimming club where we spent every Sunday.

A typed recipe for a meat loaf. It was my father's. After DM died, he used to watch Delia Smith and became quite a good cook, his specialities were, a Victoria sponge, trifle and the meat loaf. My mother bequeathed him a wonderful supportive social group and he produced these dishes for all their social events. He was always a bit of a teaser and this recipe has a comment on it from a friend he lent it to, referring to this.

RamblingRosie Thu 07-Feb-19 20:41:13

Today has been wet and windy so I decided to stay indoors and sort through my cookery books.
I found a recipe book my sister gave me for Christmas when I was 14. In it I have written the recipes over the years that I have tried and liked. However as I started to read through it lots of happy memories came flooding back too. For example the Christmas Novelty biscuits recipe I made for our first Christmas party when I was in Girls Brigade ( the Boys Brigade were also invited and I had my first kiss!) The Coconut Pyramids recipe my Mum and I made for fundraising at our home for the Enid Blyton Busy Bee club. The Lazy Loaf recipe I used to make for my DS when he was returning to university and the feeling of missing him. The Rhubarb and Orange Meringue Pudding I made with my Auntie for our family afternoon teas on a Sunday. She encouraged my love of baking
These are just a few of the many recipes I have collected all with their own history.
I know music can jog memories as can smells and tastes, but do any other gransnetters have favourite recipes that do the same??