Gransnet forums

Food

Parsnip overload. I need help!

(25 Posts)
gmelon Tue 12-Feb-19 16:46:46

I have become over run with parsnips.
Have you favourite recipes?
Soup springs to mind maybe you've a failsafe soup method.
Or a favourite dish with parsnips.
I've got lots of potatoes and onions to go with them.

wildswan16 Tue 12-Feb-19 16:57:28

You need to ask that guy on the Sunlife advert who gives his lady neighbour the parsnip jam! He had the same problem.

Coolgran65 Tue 12-Feb-19 16:58:17

Recently a local supermarket had carrots and parsnips selling so cheaply that I just had to buy them and find some way to use them. After googling I found a great recipe for carrot and parsnip soup. So easy, fabulous, easy to make and I froze it in takeaway size containers.
Sweat off onions without browning, add garlic to taste (I used the tube of pureed garlic). a touch of ginger if liked, add carrots and parsnips (I only chopped them in half). Add stock - I have used both chicken stock and veg stock (Knorr). Simmer until cooked.
Break them up, mash them, using a potato masher.
Make the texture suit yourself.
I usually follow with blitz using the blender.
Once you've made it you will then know how to make it suit yourself next time. i.e. more or less onion, more or less garlic, throw in some of your potatoes.
Fabulous with crusty bread.

Riverwalk Tue 12-Feb-19 17:08:06

I love parsnips!

Roast parsnips

Parsnip gratin

muffinthemoo Tue 12-Feb-19 17:08:51

STOCKPILE FOR BREXIT

party

EllanVannin Tue 12-Feb-19 17:14:51

Have a google at the top ten ways with parsnips---they look scrummy.

HildaW Tue 12-Feb-19 17:36:02

Roast them in a little oil and better really well so as to reduce the bulk and add flavour - then make them into a soup, its delicious.

Wheniwasyourage Tue 12-Feb-19 17:38:34

A friend makes parsnip and apple soup - much better with Bramleys than with eating apples, but possible with both. Excellent.

Wheniwasyourage Tue 12-Feb-19 17:39:14

Do I mean either, rather than both? confused

Hilltopgran Tue 12-Feb-19 17:41:30

Parsnips are really nice mashed, either with carrots or on their own, especially with sausages or a stew, or use the mash to top a cottage pie. I add a little creme frachie or milk to make them easier to mash and season to taste.

Jalima1108 Tue 12-Feb-19 17:50:26

You can freeze them - we had an over-load last year. I cut them as you would for roast, put a little oil in the bag with them, froze them then roasted them from frozen.

Parsnip and sharp apple soup.
Curried parsnip soup.

Liz46 Tue 12-Feb-19 18:00:49

I boil parsnips for a couple of minutes before freezing them.

Thanks for the recipe Coolgran, I'll give that a try.

Jalima1108 Tue 12-Feb-19 18:02:33

Yes, boiling for a very short time stops them discolouring.
Then I coated with the oil, then froze them.

shysal Tue 12-Feb-19 18:18:58

Boil for 3 minutes the while still hot and steaming coat with a mix of seasoned flour and grated parmesan. They can be frozen or refrigerated or roasted straight away in butter and oil. These are a family favourite at Chrisrmas but we eat them all year round.

gmelon Tue 12-Feb-19 18:46:22

Lovely ideas. I've got a tray of them roasting as I type. Dinner is roast chicken and veg with
too many lots of parsnips.

Fennel Tue 12-Feb-19 18:53:05

I've never liked parsnips (don't know why) but here are some ideas, the french word for parsnip is panais:
www.750g.com/recettes_panais.htm

Fennel Tue 12-Feb-19 18:58:29

ps the first recipe is a mixture of mashed potato and mashed parsnips fried in croquettes.

phoenix Tue 12-Feb-19 19:03:37

Mr P doesn't like parsnips, no matter how many ways that I might try!

However, if you Google "parsnips Molly parkin" you will find a recipe that is absolutely yum, especially with roast pork!

Farmor15 Tue 12-Feb-19 20:10:15

www.foodtolove.co.nz/recipes/roasted-parsnip-pear-blue-cheese-and-walnuts-2570
This is a nice recipe I tried and enjoyed.

PamelaJ1 Tue 12-Feb-19 21:00:14

Love them with butter, horseradish, while grain mustard and mayo. All together in the food processor. I just colloid in so I can’t tell you the quantities but too much ch horseradish can make your eyes water!

PamelaJ1 Tue 12-Feb-19 21:01:19

That will be whole grain and dollop not colloid(?)

Ngaio1 Tue 12-Feb-19 21:11:15

Parsnip Wine. My friend's Ma made it and it was delicious (and potent!).

gmelon Tue 12-Feb-19 22:23:42

Great links and ideas. Thank you all.
I haven't previously frozen parsnips so I'll give that a go and also a fair few of the suggested recipes and links will be used.

Liz46 Wed 13-Feb-19 20:05:00

I put a small amount of honey on the parsnips before roasting them.

Jalima1108 Wed 13-Feb-19 23:13:50

honey, a little whole grain mustard and oil - then roast.
Yum