Gransnet forums

Food

Enjoy cooking for one

(20 Posts)
tanith Sat 16-Feb-19 19:04:43

I’ve heard and read so many times how cooking for one is a pain and I know people who’ve said they just can’t be bothered. I was dreading the time, now I’m on my own when I’d start buying ready meals or just eating fast food or takeaways. 5 months in I find I’m really enjoying continuing to cook my meals from scratch, I can spend a few hours on preparation making some meals I can freeze. I made cakes some of which I froze.
Of course I’ve eaten the odd takeaway mainly with other family but I’m surprised this part of my new normal has been easier than I imagined.

Anyone else enjoy cooking for one even if it’s just when a partner is out?

M0nica Sat 16-Feb-19 19:09:34

Yes, I do and so does DD who lives alone.

FlexibleFriend Sat 16-Feb-19 19:15:38

I cook from scratch and either adjust quantities or eat half and freeze half. I have never eaten a ready meal and rarely eat take aways. It came easily to me because my ex worked shifts and we rarely ate the same meals. I like cooking for me more than for others especially when I don't fancy what the other person wants to eat.

Urmstongran Sat 16-Feb-19 19:20:14

When I’m on my own I love to eat liver bacon & onions with mash. ?

bikergran Sat 16-Feb-19 19:22:42

Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't, on an odd occasion I will set the table and make an effort and put in little dishes etc and have been know to have a glass of wine, maybe few picys will encourage us smile

Only had fishfinger butties tonight so nothing exciting.

We could call it "solo dining" I do like presentation etc

bikergran Sat 16-Feb-19 19:26:37

I did make this a few months ago

Moz cheese/beef tom/salad and balsamic glaze

bikergran Sat 16-Feb-19 19:28:07

bikergran Sat 16-Feb-19 19:28:50

whoops!! I only made one lol....

tanith Sat 16-Feb-19 19:50:58

Solo dining does sound good and that does look absolutely delicious bikergran

shysal Sat 16-Feb-19 19:58:09

I enjoy cooking from scratch for myself. However I have recently bought a few very low calorie ready meals from M & S to make calculations easy on 'fast days' whilst doing 4:3 diet. I am surprised how tasty and easy they are. I always sit at the dining table and use a fabric napkin.

Buffybee Sat 16-Feb-19 20:05:57

Ooooh! Very fancy bikergran!smile
I have always enjoyed cooking and find it relaxing, so I wouldn't be tempted to eat Ready meals.
I always have a soup in my fridge, at the moment it's Chunky Mulligatawni, good for lunches with a nice roll.
I always make huge pans of everything, Bolognese, Chilli, Chicken Curry and freeze in portions.
Or make fast meals, as I call them, like steak or salmon with salad/veg and new pots/jacket.
I eat most main meals at the table as I enjoy it more that way, it never bothers me eating alone, either at home or out in a cafe.
Food is one of life's pleasures!

EllanVannin Sat 16-Feb-19 20:20:19

I enjoy cooking and have always done my own meals from scratch. I have a roast every Sunday too. I'll be making mince pies tomorrow as I have a jar of unopened M&S mincemeat and if there's an odd piece of pastry left I'll fill it and have it with custard for my pud.

I made a cracking Chinese meal this week, everything stir-fry, using chicken breasts cut into strips. I'll do the same next week using strips of beef. Quick,easy and nourishing.

Buffybee Sat 16-Feb-19 20:31:14

Hi Ellan, I thought you said that the last bit of pastry would be made into a Custard Tart, my favourite, with a bit of nutmeg on top. Yummy!

Tangerine Sat 16-Feb-19 21:06:14

I don't mind cooking for one. If I make too much, I just freeze what's left over for another time. Sometimes I cook in batches.

I can't say I've never had a ready meal but I don't make a habit of it.

Takeaways are something I'd only have with other people.

BlueSapphire Tue 19-Feb-19 08:08:28

I quite enjoy cooking for one as well. I cook the same amount as if DH were still here, Eat half and freeze half. Yesterday I had a homemade chicken pasta bake from the freezer.
On Saturday I made a huge hotpot in the slow cooker to have when I got back from the rugby; there was enough for three evening meals and also a light lunch yesterday.
Tonight I am making turkey stirfry satay with noodles.

travelsafar Tue 19-Feb-19 08:33:21

I think i can qualify as cooking for one as my husband eats totally different food to myself. He is meat and two veg, no pasta or rice and defo no spices. I enjoy different dishes with garlic cumin,corriander etc. I think if i was on my own i would still enjoy cooking. I love the preparation, the buying of different ingredients, the chopping and peeling and most of all the taste and smell left in the house of exotic spices

bikergran Tue 19-Feb-19 09:10:51

Just cooked the Tomato slimming world soup, doesn't taste too bad,(very simple to make) only trouble was my pickled onions wouldn't blend so had to cut them up then blend again. I've put basil in it. thing is! there's enough to last me 6 months lol.

Anyone for lunch? you know whats on offer!! lol

GrandmaMoira Tue 19-Feb-19 10:17:03

I've been cooking for one for 2 years now after 45 years of family cooking and I love being able to choose only what I like, not having to cook what others prefer and being able to spend just a few minutes preparing something like fish or chicken with potatoes/rice and veg.

Charleygirl5 Tue 19-Feb-19 10:47:53

Where I live the takeaways are awful and I do not like pizza.

One thing about living on my own is if I fancy biscuits and cheese for my evening meal I can have that. About 3-4 times a year I fancy fish and chips from the local. I have the odd ready meal but on the whole, I will cook for myself have the same tomorrow and freeze the remainder getting a couple of meals out of it. It saves money from having some sort of plan but still being able to be flexible.

DoraMarr Tue 19-Nov-19 08:56:25

I love cooking just for me! This evening I will have roast chicken, roast potatoes, parsnips, cabbage and proper gravy. A good glass of white wine, proper napkin, nice china and glasses, and I will enjoy every mouthful. However, sometimes I might be eating beans on toast, an omelette or a quick pasta dish. ( But it’s amazing how a glass of wine can lift a meal.)