Gransnet forums

Food

Strange sandwiches

(52 Posts)
Daddima Mon 18-Feb-19 12:00:18

The Vesta thread reminded me of enjoying their Beef Risotto on white bread and butter. My friend always says there is no food which cannot go ‘ on a piece’ ( Scottish for in a sandwich!) Fry’s chocolate cream is a favourite of his, as is a Scotch pie in a roll!

I always remember my aunt adding a Cadbury’s Flake to a banana sandwich, and my granny used to give us ‘ a piece and sugar’.

lovingit Tue 19-Feb-19 11:48:42

Banana and marmite on wholemeal...delicious

henetha Tue 19-Feb-19 10:06:01

I've been eating sardine sandwiches all my life and still love them. These days I mash the sardines with black pepper and mayonnaise.. Yummy!
And I do love peanut butter with absolutely anything.
I well remember eating sugar sandwiches when there was nothing else in the house to put in a sandwich. And dripping sandwiches with salt....gorgeous!

Fennel Tue 19-Feb-19 09:43:37

Peanut butter and Marmite go well together in a sandwich.

Willow500 Tue 19-Feb-19 09:29:03

I grew up in a fish and chip shop so chip butties were quite normal - as was tomato soup with chips in it.

My mum also used to put a Cadbury flake in banana sandwiches along with sugar - we still have banana ones but no sugar. She also would use up mashed potato on toast.

Potted meat and crisps sandwiches are still one of my husband's favourites.

When we were in NZ a few years ago I had a bacon and banana concoction - I think it was a croissant - it was delicious whatever it was grin

shysal Tue 19-Feb-19 09:20:13

I have never eaten a chip buttie but I do like one with ham and crisps. Another I have not tried is fish fingers. My mother would have thought all these 'common'.

Oh how hungry I am now feeling! I only eat within an 8 hour window so brunch is not until 11 or 12 o'clock sad.

BlueSapphire Tue 19-Feb-19 08:00:22

Oh yes, chip butties, and fried mashed potato in a butty. Also had sugar sandwiches.
When we lived in Australia fairy bread was very popular - hundreds and thousands sprinkled on bread and butter.

chelseababy Tue 19-Feb-19 07:43:35

OH used to always take a peanut butter and marmalade sandwich to work.

gunsway Tue 19-Feb-19 05:27:12

Marmite and bacon for me. mmmm

annsixty Tue 19-Feb-19 04:39:16

Beetroot sandwiches are still a favourite with me.

Daddima Tue 19-Feb-19 03:40:20

I’ve just remembered that the Bodach used to eat beetroot sandwiches, and my friend ate brown bread and apple ones.

Buffybee Tue 19-Feb-19 00:10:16

We used to have Egg and Cress sandwiches, my Grandma always gave me crumbly Lancashire Cheese with Raspberry Jam And Banana And Jam.
And I used to sneak Golden Syrup Sandwiches, which was only supposed to be put on porridge.
My Great Aunt used to make toast on an open fire, holding a special long fork, with Pork or Beef Dripping and make rice pudding every day with a thick nutmeg skin on top.

Jalima1108 Mon 18-Feb-19 23:42:20

My grandma used to make me sugar butties, that is the only thing I can remember about her. sad

MissAdventure Mon 18-Feb-19 23:25:19

We sometimes had a slice of bread so we could make a mashed potato sandwich with the last bit of our dinner.

Chewbacca Mon 18-Feb-19 23:23:58

We too were given sugar butties, or "a piece" as my granny called them. We also used to be given sliced up dried dates on bread and butter. Don't remember seeing those slabs of dried dates for years!

MissAdventure Mon 18-Feb-19 23:21:40

Oh I love a chip butty.
Or crisps. Or sugar (not had that since I was l kid)
We used to have 'mud and grass' sandwiches.
Shippams paste (I think it was called) with cress.

aggie Mon 18-Feb-19 23:17:19

my Mum used to make orange segments with dates in brown bread sandwiches , they were disgusting !
Mayo on the chips in the butties is the best smile

lemongrove Mon 18-Feb-19 23:10:34

?

MissAdventure Mon 18-Feb-19 22:53:53

My ex used to make me what I called 'Manwhiches'.
All manner of strange and delightful combinations.
Cheese with wotsits, pickle and tomatoes.. lovely!

grannyactivist Mon 18-Feb-19 22:37:32

As a little girl we were very, very poor and I lived on sugar butties, and not much else, for almost two years (and developed malnutrition). The thought of eating it now makes my toes curl. Blurgh!

The Wonderful man will eat almost anything in a sandwich, but I think the most unusual so far was the day he took rice pudding sandwiches to work! confused

Plum111 Mon 18-Feb-19 21:13:42

I remember my Mum making ginger (chopped) and cream mixture served on brown bread, a strange combination but delicious! Chip butties, very yummy but like some other posters my Mum thought they were "common" Lord knows why

Marina17 Mon 18-Feb-19 19:55:02

I remember sugar sandwiches, loved them. I also used to love a sandwich made with hot mashed potato, the butter on the bread used to melt, yum!!

EllanVannin Mon 18-Feb-19 19:54:45

Treacle butties.

NfkDumpling Mon 18-Feb-19 19:51:37

My kids don’t believe we had sugar sandwiches.

Auntieflo Mon 18-Feb-19 19:45:16

Cheese and golden syrup sandwich

BlueBelle Mon 18-Feb-19 19:01:40

RosieLeah I love lettuce and sugar and tomato and sugar never met another though