Gransnet forums

Food

Make it up as you go along.

(11 Posts)
MiniMoon Tue 19-Feb-19 14:20:09

I went to make lunch, which is our main meal. Main course, meatballs, cream sauce, sugar snap peas and roast potatoes. Fine.
Now for pudding.
Looking around the kitchen, I had three day old bread (needed using up) raspberry jam, eggs.
Inspiration dawned, bread and butter pudding. Alas I had no currants left, but I did have ready to use dried cranberries left over from Christmas.
I buttered the bread and spread it with the jam, put it in a Pyrex dish, scattered in some of the cranberries and a generous tablespoon of sugar. Mixed together two eggs with a half pint of milk and poured it over. Let it soak for a while then put it in the oven.
Oh my, it made the most delicious pudding ?.
I just had to share, no need to reply.?

Teetime Tue 19-Feb-19 14:24:59

I love doing that mini its amazing what you can conjure up and it gives you a great feeling- pudding sounds lovely.

Anja Tue 19-Feb-19 14:25:05

I did an amazing risotto once with leftovers when the children were younger.
‘Can we have that again?’ they kept asking.....no! I can’t remember what I put in it ?

Anja Tue 19-Feb-19 14:25:45

Hope you can reproduce that again Mini sounds great ??

Elegran Tue 19-Feb-19 14:28:22

One of my regular successes is Fridge Soup. The recipe goes - "Look in fridge, what is there? Chop it up and put it in the soupmaker. Get an onion out of the vegetable rack, chop, add. What other veg needs using up? chop that too. Add veggie stock and hot water to "maximum" line. Select smooth or chunky option, press start button. Get out soup bowls, side plates and cutlery, Cut bread, take butter out of fridge. When soupmaker timer rings, serve soup and eat."

It is different every time, but always delicious. I don't throw much food away.

Squiffy Tue 19-Feb-19 14:50:38

Sounds similar to my Dollop Soup Elegran! A dollop of anything that needs eating up, plus stock and a dollop of ketchup to add a hint of sweet/sour.

shysal Tue 19-Feb-19 15:49:03

You must be posh Elegran. I never have butter on the bread I eat with soup. grin

Elegran Tue 19-Feb-19 15:54:42

Just greedy, Shysal and the years of butter rationing mean that I use it when I can. Substitutes have just as much fat, and don't taste as good. Decent bread and real butter complement the fatless soup.

MiniMoon Tue 19-Feb-19 16:37:27

I'm in total agreement about butter Elegran. I won't use any of those spreads. Real butter for me.

Elegran Tue 19-Feb-19 16:49:26

The only reason that other spreads are yellow is because of the food colouring. When margarine was first invented it was a white mix of fats (called margarine to be similar to another term for pearly - which is what it looked like) . It didn't sell, so yellow colouring was added to make it look more like butter. That made it more attractive and sellable.

ninathenana Tue 19-Feb-19 17:49:06

We only have butter in the house but I have never buttered bread to eat with soup. I like to dunk, and the buttet stops the bread from soaking up the soup IMO