Gransnet forums

Food

Searching for recipe

(17 Posts)
Foxyloxy Thu 28-Feb-19 14:47:18

I have a yen to make a sponge fruit flan. Many years ago, the eggs and sugar were whisked, flour folded in, and placed in a flan tin with raised base. The flan when turned out had a hollow that was then filled with fruit and gelatine or jelly? Am I remembering this right? Does anyone have a recipe please.

chelseababy Thu 28-Feb-19 15:03:12

I used to buy them in the supermarket and add fruit and that jelly mix in a packet!

Gagagran Thu 28-Feb-19 15:13:54

I use this recipe for a fatless sponge:

3oz caster sugar
3 eggs
3oz plain flour+half teaspoon of baking powder.

Whisk first two together till thick and creamy and whisk leaves a trail on mixture.
Fold in flour and BP with a metal spoon

Place in well greased and floured flan tin and bake at 180C for about 20 minutes.

Greyduster Thu 28-Feb-19 15:24:39

I make them quite often and use the recipe that came with the flan tin. 3.5 ozs each of sr flour, caster sugar and margarine, 2 eggs. Cream fat and sugar, add eggs and flour alternately. Bake for 20 minutes @ 160 fan oven. I always use a cake release spray with this tin. Makes life easier.

jusnoneed Thu 28-Feb-19 15:31:05

Haven't made one of these for years but when I did make them I just used a Victoria sponge recipe, often I would make a 3 or 4 egg (depending on size) amount and have a sponge plus a flan case. Sometimes made a chocolate one and filled with pears, lovely lol.
I always use my eggs as measurement for Victoria sandwich, never fails.

Foxyloxy Thu 28-Feb-19 15:36:20

That is really great Gagagran and Greyduster, exactly what I was looking for. I’m off to have a memory revival. Thank you to all.

Fennel Thu 28-Feb-19 15:40:32

As Greyduster says, the only problem is that the sponge tends to stick to the tin.
I bought a Lakeland flan tin a few years ago - long story, they gave me a refund.
Maybe they've improved their design now.

Foxyloxy Thu 28-Feb-19 17:33:58

Fennel, that’s whatI have just used a Lakeland flan tin. I followed Gagagrans recipe and baked it for 15min on 180°. I would post a picture, but can’t work out how to do it. I greased the tin, with a mixture of lard and flour that I beat together and keep in the fridge, for cake tins (it’s a bit messy but works) I have filled it with some fresh fruit, I needed using up, and made a sugar syrup added gelatines day poured over the fruit. The proof of the pudding will be when my dear man and sister tuck in after supper.

Fennel Thu 28-Feb-19 18:39:30

Sounds good Foxyloxy - I must go to the Lakeland shop and try their new version. I love fruit flans too.
The tin I had a few years ago had sort of plastic parts to release the flan and they melted in the oven shock.

JasseJackson Fri 15-Nov-19 13:52:08

Try this amazing Turkey Salad - mygreencookbook.com/grilled-turkey-salad/
Ingredients:
1 lb Turkey Breast
6 Lettuce Leaves
6 Romaine Lettuce leaves
10 Arugula Leaves
10 Cherry Tomatoes
7 oz Mozzarella Cheese
2 tbs Olive Oil Extra Virgin
0,5 Lemon
1 pinch Salt
1 pinch Peper
Delicious!

Callistemon Fri 15-Nov-19 14:56:06

Yes, I used to make those flans, FoxyLoxy - until I discovered the ones you could buy in the supermarket.

I used a normal fatless sponge mix, as far as I remember it was 3:3:3 ie three eggs, 3 ozs SR flour, 3 ozs caster sugar, whisk eggs and sugar until doubled or tripled and fold in flour. Bake at Gas 5 or equivalent 10 minutes.
But please google, as recipes may vary.

Filled with fruit and the Quick Jel you used to be able to buy.
I haven't made one for about 30 years

Callistemon Fri 15-Nov-19 14:57:12

sorry, it was probably 15 - 20 minutes, until it shrinks and springs back if pressed.

Callistemon Fri 15-Nov-19 14:57:58

oh dear, an old thread!

shysal Fri 15-Nov-19 16:11:52

I used to love a flan. You can still buy Quick gel fast setting jelly, which makes life easier.

Dinahmo Sat 16-Nov-19 16:10:59

Jusnoneed My GM taught me to make Victoria sponge cake like that. The eggs went into one side of the scales and everything else was measured against them.

Gonegirl Sat 16-Nov-19 16:42:58

In an old cookbook of mine that is called Weight of an egg cake.

Gonegirl Sat 16-Nov-19 16:49:03

It's quite nice to fold in a small knob of melted butter or marg to a fatless sponge. Good especially if you are making a Swiss roll with it. Makes it more bendable.