Gransnet forums

Food

What’s your quick hot meal?

(70 Posts)
Urmstongran Sun 03-Mar-19 16:23:01

You know when you can’t be bothered to cook yet you’re hungry and would like a hot meal?

Mine for the last few weeks is so easy! It’s a cheat really but we love it. It’s in the oven now (whilst we read and enjoy a glass of wine!)

4 chicken thighs covered with a small bottle of Nando’s peri peri hot sauce. Cook for 45 minutes, turning once (I know, all that effort) and when done I ping a pouch of mushroom rice in the microwave for 2 minutes. Job done and delicious!

What’s yours?

Curlywhirly Tue 19-Nov-19 08:19:24

Fresh salmon sprinkled with Cajun spices or pesto cooked in oven with Aldi or Lidl 'special' oven chips (the dearest ones they sell in a black bag) and a salad. Or chicken strips stir fried with ginger, garlic and chilli (all can be bought ready prepared as pastes in tubes) add soy sauce and a bag of ready prepared stir fry veg and a little water to help veg to steam. Serve with a bag of microwave rice (there are loads of flavours).

Sara65 Tue 19-Nov-19 06:21:44

Pasta, with pesto and Parmesan cheese.

absent Tue 19-Nov-19 05:41:20

When in doubt, spaghetti alla carbonara – done in 15 minutes – and the grandchildren, even the four-year-old – will always manage two helpings, especially if I have shoved a loaf or two of garlic bread in the oven.

andycameron69 Tue 05-Mar-19 22:26:04

urmston , yes hello, I am a gardener so I love that.
I love food and have learnt so much here, easy food suits me

best wishes

andy

grin

Urmstongran Tue 05-Mar-19 21:19:52

It’s yummy BlueSaphire good idea to just halve it. Honestly bet you enjoy it!

Me to Jalima Worcester sauce just adds that little kick ?

BlueSapphire Tue 05-Mar-19 20:48:07

Urmstongran that sounds delicious, and I would halve it just for me! I really fancy that. Just love anything spicy with rice.

Jalima1108 Mon 04-Mar-19 22:34:48

That sounds nice as well GillT57
I like a good dash of Worcestershire sauce with cheese on toast.

Jalima1108 Mon 04-Mar-19 22:33:54

I like beans on toast ethel but haven't had it with a poached egg on top since my student days (that was a regular tea/dinner!).

LadyGracie Mon 04-Mar-19 22:31:10

I've recently bought an Instant Pot so everything is pretty quick, all fresh ingredients, stew or curry in 35 minutes, pasta in tasty sauce 12 minutes, I'm still learning, so far it's really good.

GillT57 Mon 04-Mar-19 22:20:50

Sorry posted too soon. Then pop under grill and melt cheese over the mango chutney.

GillT57 Mon 04-Mar-19 22:19:37

ethel I love beans on toast! Also, try a slice of really good bread, sour dough or similar, toast lightly one side then spread the other side with mango chutney then strong cheddar. Makes a simple thing taste really special.

etheltbags1 Mon 04-Mar-19 20:56:30

I wondered if anyone would admit to beans on toast.lol. thats my quick meal with sometimes a poached egg on top.

Urmstongran Mon 04-Mar-19 20:32:38

Why hello ancyC fancy meeting you on here mate!

andycameron69 Mon 04-Mar-19 20:20:20

oooh you are making me hungry I love omlettes

GabriellaG54 Mon 04-Mar-19 19:29:59

I'm a good omelette maker. Usually fill with spinach and grated cheese or a side of beetroot and feta with peashoots and cherry vine tomatos.
A quicker supper for me is a really good vintage cheese on toasted thick sliced sourdough, done under the grill with sliced tomatoes.
I'm a vegetarian so I like lots of vegetables and dairy.

Day6 Mon 04-Mar-19 12:51:52

Urmston, I do like a lazy but hearty meal.

This is a throw-it-all-in-a-casserole dish I sometimes do. Slices of chorizo, (can use bacon or ham) tin of tomatoes, tin of baked beans, season with black pepper, (or herbs of choice) give it a stir, bung it in the oven until heated through, and serve with crusty bread or (frozen) mashed potato/microwaved rice. Easy peasy.

Urmstongran Mon 04-Mar-19 11:57:26

There are certainly some great quick meals on here. Thank you so much everyfor taking the time to post - But, as outlined in my ‘lazy, cheating meal’ you will appreciate my main interest lies in dishes that don’t need preparation and cook unattended (time of that not especially a factor in the cooking, it’s the speed of cobbling it together IYSWIM) so then I can sit down/have a shower in the knowledge that I’ll be picking up a knife and fork soon after so little effort (no peeling or chopping ha!)

Sunlover Mon 04-Mar-19 11:28:17

Thick toast and peanut butter. Yum.

Mamma66 Mon 04-Mar-19 11:23:50

Fresh pasta (bought not made) with asparagus, peas, salmon and prawns, with black pepper and a little cream for the sauce. Ready in less than ten minutes and lush.

Failing that if I am feeling super lazy, poached eggs on sour dough toast, or soup with pumpernickel, or sardines on toast - all yummy...

JackyB Mon 04-Mar-19 11:13:44

Quickest comfort food is a couple of slices of toast - 3 mins in the toaster. 1,2 or 3 tomatoes, pricked and zapped for 2-3 mins in the microwave. Butter toast, pour on tomatoes, salt and eat. 3 mins is probably the quickest you can do a hot meal.

If you have 10mins (and can wait that long), boil pasta and chuck some prawns or shrimps in a frying pan. When they are done, add a half carton each of cream and passata. If the shrimps are already cooked, they can be stirred straight into the drained pasta and warmed through with the passata and cream. (Less washing up this way)

Add seasoning and herbs whilst cooking.

1inamillion Mon 04-Mar-19 11:05:26

Urmstongran - if you like chicken thighs try Nigella's Spanish Chicken, all baked on one tray in the oven. I par boil some baby new pots first before adding though.

annsixty Mon 04-Mar-19 11:02:43

Am I the only person who doesn't like sweet potato ( or chilli)?

1inamillion Mon 04-Mar-19 10:59:30

Cauli (or broccoli) Cheese made with Delia's cheese sauce. Makes enough to freeze for another time.
We have this with a steak, a bought pie, any fish, roast veg, pasta or baked potatoes, sweet potatoes bake more quickly.

annsixty Mon 04-Mar-19 10:56:00

Herb of course not been!
Should add I only eat 2 thighs and have the other 2 cold with salad the next day.

annsixty Mon 04-Mar-19 10:54:08

I use the Nando'sdry seasoning in a bag. Lemon and been for me.
4 chicken thighs, shake with the powder in the parchment bag and put in the oven where a jacket potato has been cooking for half an hour.
After 30 mins cut off the top of the bag to brown the chicken and job done.
I try to eat more fruit on that day but frankly I am no longer obsessive about 5 a day?