Gransnet forums

Food

Spotted Dicks that taste like M&S

(18 Posts)
Valski Wed 06-Mar-19 17:17:38

I know this might sound strange but would anyone have a recipe for spotted dicks that tastes like the M and S version. We find they have a distinctive taste that none of the other spotted dicks products on sale.

You might well wonder why we cannot go to M and S and purchase, but for the last few years they have taken the spotted dicks off sale during the summer months and classified it as a winter pudding. I have never attempted to make them before and wonder if anyone else shares our predicament? Might anyone has some idea as to how M and S flavour their recipe? Many thanks and I know it’s a strange one!

Elegran Wed 06-Mar-19 17:59:32

Have you read the ingredients list? It may have a clue.

aggie Wed 06-Mar-19 18:35:04

stock the freezer

EllanVannin Wed 06-Mar-19 18:50:20

My mum used to make them and called them suet puddings with either jam ( roly-poly ) or the dried fruit ( spotted dick )
I'd say that the main ingredient is suet ( Atora ) so I guess if you look for Atora recipes you'll find the puds.

Delicious and easy to make.

Vonners Wed 06-Mar-19 19:26:38

I'm not very techie so not sure if this will work. If you copy this link into your browser it brings up a pic of the ingredients in the puds.

www.marksandspencerfoodhall.co.uk/nutrition/4e83148c-764f-48e3-9838-6e6df7ceaea7--1493291571

Vonners Wed 06-Mar-19 19:27:32

Surprised to see the ingredients include dried dill!

Valski Wed 06-Mar-19 21:07:48

Great help - thanks to all! Have found a basic atora recipe for spotted dick on the BBC Food website and seeing the list of ingredients (thanks for that Vonners - have saved for shopping) I am wondering if the distinctive flavour comes from the fennel. Will give the recipe a go with added fennel and see what they turn out like.

Thanks for responses, hugely appreciated.

tanith Wed 06-Mar-19 21:35:41

The think spotted dick has always been a very plain and simple pudding what’s with all those ingredients?
Flour,suet pinch of salt a little sugar and dried fruit that’s it.

Ohmother Wed 06-Mar-19 22:14:09

Watching with interest Valski. Let us know the result.

Valski Wed 06-Mar-19 22:27:16

Will do!

Jalima1108 Wed 06-Mar-19 22:58:40

It sounds a bit spicy, totally unlike the ones my mum used to make, boiled in an old piece of sheet!

Bellanonna Wed 06-Mar-19 23:28:00

I love your description Jalima! ?

Jalima1108 Thu 07-Mar-19 10:13:48

The old sheets were used for all kinds of purposes Bellanonna!! and had been boiled and boiled beforehand (my mother was very thorough grin).
Used for making puddings, bandages on knees and torn into strips to put in my hair to make ringlets!

EllanVannin Thu 07-Mar-19 10:39:01

Jalima, how posh was that using sheet ? My mum used a sleeve of one of my dad's old shirts for boiling puddings ( roly-poly's ) and also for large cod's roes !

Jalima1108 Thu 07-Mar-19 10:47:28

That was after the sheets had been 'sides to middle' and thoroughly worn out!!

Elegran Thu 07-Mar-19 11:23:48

They were better for boiling puddings once they had thinned down well. My mother used to make a bacon and onion roly-poly (boiled in a bit of sheet, of course)

Elegran Thu 07-Mar-19 11:32:30

Not long after I was born, war was declared, and my father was posted to be trained up to go abroad. He was in the regular army, but too young (at under 25) to get a married quarter for his wife and child, so rather than remain alone in expensive digs with a young baby, my mum took me to live with her parents. Her mother had a present for her - "I've cut up these old sheets for nappies for the baby" Granny discovered soon afterwards that she hadn't enough sheets for all the beds, so Mum had to buy her some. The thin and non-absorbent extra nappies acquired at the price of new sheets were NOT a bargain.

Jalima1108 Thu 07-Mar-19 15:15:54

grin
They didn't have plastic pants in those days either!