Gransnet forums

Food

Apple Crumble

(57 Posts)
Sophiasnana Sat 16-Mar-19 11:13:44

About to try to make apple crumble....again. If i cook the apples first it goes too mushy. When I tried just placing the chopped apples in the dish uncooked, they were still hard! Help please!

aggie Wed 20-Mar-19 17:53:15

smile

Jalima1108 Wed 20-Mar-19 17:49:12

Please help yourself, I'm off to aggie's!

GabriellaG54 Wed 20-Mar-19 17:46:20

No fruit with the yog? Granola or honey will do.
Just don't tell Urmstongran else...oo-er ????

aggie Wed 20-Mar-19 14:55:02

I have just turned a stale fruit loaf , made 2 weeks ago in the breadmaker , into bread and butter pud !!!!!!!!! mmmmmmmmmmmmm yummmmm

Jalima1108 Wed 20-Mar-19 14:23:15

Why have I never thought of that BradfordLass!
Thanks for the tip.

Just yogurt for the rest of the week, sorry Gabriella.
(it is live, organic yogurt though)

Auntieflo Wed 20-Mar-19 14:08:46

Just caught upon this thread. I have been out this morning, extra volunteering, so was hungry. Having had a BLT and a couple of cups of tea, I could just eat a portion of rhubarb crumble. ( but see it has all gone). I do have some bramley apples in the freezer, which now must come out and be transformed into a crumble for tonight. (although rhubarb would be preferred) . Now what do I make for dinner?

GabriellaG54 Wed 20-Mar-19 13:04:18

...just tip-toeing in to see if any more mouth watering puds are being made...?...???

BradfordLass72 Wed 20-Mar-19 06:53:41

When I make custard, I use a stick blender once it's thickened. For some reason (maybe air?) it's much creamier. Anyone else tried that?

BTW, I don't use the blender because the custard is lumpy !! grin

Grandma2213 Wed 20-Mar-19 01:05:22

One of the few puds DGC like, either apple or apple and blackcurrant. I always partially cook the apples first. Never thought of microwaving - good idea. I use demerara for a nice crunchy topping too. Lovely hot with vanilla ice cream.

Jalima1108 Tue 19-Mar-19 23:02:45

We finished it off this evening.
All gone
Sorry

But the rhubarb is growing nicely under its bucket so I'll make you all another one some time
smile
Gabriella can make the custard with added cream.
Extra thick cream on top of all that, please lemongrove
I can feel the calories going on to my hips

Urmstongran Tue 19-Mar-19 21:13:57

Yes GG54 I’m reading this, so I’m monitoring you lady ha!
?

lemongrove Tue 19-Mar-19 21:05:47

Yes, stop torturing yourself Gabrielle ?
I do admire your resolve mind you.

GabriellaG54 Tue 19-Mar-19 20:40:36

? angle is anglais

GabriellaG54 Tue 19-Mar-19 20:38:15

I'm off, before I go mad with this talk of puddings...
Urmstongran told me off for thinking of buying a Krispy Kreme donut as it's Lent.
I can't cope any more ???

GabriellaG54 Tue 19-Mar-19 20:34:16

* why h which blush

lemongrove Tue 19-Mar-19 20:33:55

Having this thread in mind, ( and no free time) I bought a M&S apple tart, which we had with thick cream tonight.
De-licious! ?

GabriellaG54 Tue 19-Mar-19 20:32:54

That's very generous of you Jalima1108 as new rhubarb is very expensive and precious.
My preference is for Birds custard and I buy it in the pack of 3 why h you make with boiling water. Less faff and nicer taste than creme angle is which is thinner IMO. I have plebian tastes and like old style food, not dobs of jus on slates.
A friend cracked her ankle and couldn't stand at her job for a few weeks and I stood in for her.
I had to do a one day food hygiene course first, which was interesting.
It was an Abbeyfield home for able residents and they too loved crumbles. I used to add a small amount some pouring cream to the Birds custard to enrich it.
Very more-ish. shock

grannyticktock Tue 19-Mar-19 20:26:54

I've just discovered several bags of last year's rhubarb in the freezer so I've made a rhubarb crumble, but I think the next one will be from this year's crop. The old frozen stuff can go in the compost. I guess that makes me self-sufficient for rhubarb! (ditto gooseberries).

Jalima1108 Tue 19-Mar-19 18:40:14

You are welcome to some rhubarb and I have crumble mix in the freezer now!

Jalima1108 Tue 19-Mar-19 18:39:31

DH made the custard, however it was not Crème Anglaise (just Bird's)

GabriellaG54 Tue 19-Mar-19 18:36:28

Yeah ok Jalima1108 rub it in envy
My mouth has been watering just thinking about homemade crumble, especially rhubarb crumble. It just happens to be my favourite. ??
Ah well...at least some people enjoyed it. ??

??

Baggs Tue 19-Mar-19 15:37:30

The cure for mushy apples in crumbles or pies is to mix a sprinkle of dry semolina in with them. Then, even if they are 'stewed', the filling still has a firm but not too firm texture.

Jalima1108 Tue 19-Mar-19 15:24:06

It was lovely, Gabriella!

I haven't made anything with rhubarb for years but this was tender and delicious because it had been forced on under a bucket

JoyBloggs Tue 19-Mar-19 14:19:55

I use Bramleys and have never pre-cooked them. Cut into smallish chunks (equivalent to approx three-quarter inch cubes) and add a couple of tablespoons of caster sugar and a little water. I use demerara sugar in the crumble topping and cook it quite slowly (160° fan) for about 50 mins for largish one (to feed 8). Apples are always perfectly cooked and the top is lovely and crunchy. It's always very popular, never had any complaints! A handful of blackberries in with the apples is nice if you have some.

GabriellaG54 Tue 19-Mar-19 13:44:05

Bikergran
Yes, all of those toppings. I'm famished.