Gransnet forums

Food

Online food shopping

(101 Posts)
Ginny42 Fri 22-Mar-19 10:05:51

Not sure I'm allowed to ask this but... can anyone recommend the best supermarket to order food for delivery? I've always wanted to choose my own.

I injured my foot badly a week ago today and still can't bear a shoe on. I've lived on frozen foods for a week. Nothing wrong with frozen veg, fruit, fish and bread of course, but would like some more variety now.

I managed a little shop at the small shop close by, bananas and salads, but wouldn't be able to trundle round a supermarket then load the car and carry it in when I got home.

Grateful for advice.

CarlyD7 Sat 23-Mar-19 14:43:42

I use both Tesco & Sainsbury's. With Tesco, you can say whether or not you want a substitution and even say what with. If something is missing, then you don't pay for it - which I prefer. With Sainsbury's, you can say you want a substitute or not, but cannot say with what (which annoys me as I usually have to send it back) and if they substitute with something more expensive, you have to pay the extra and then they give you a voucher for the difference off your next shop - but then you have to remember to shop with them again before the voucher expires (!) So, although I prefer Sainsbury's food, I prefer the Tesco delivery service. I'm at home all the time so I take advantage of the cheaper delivery slots - sometimes as low as £1 (there's usually a minimum order of £40 or free delivery for orders over £100).

Gonegirl Sat 23-Mar-19 14:16:49

It's £1.10 a loaf on Tesco! That's dearer.

Gonegirl Sat 23-Mar-19 14:15:05

jennil Kingsmill are two for £2.10 at the moment on Ocado. So yes, a bit dearer. And I do hate the two for... kind of offers.

luluaugust Sat 23-Mar-19 14:10:05

I find Waitrose best very few if any substitutions. Hope your foot is better soon flowers

Jaycee5 Sat 23-Mar-19 13:39:43

Rosina. The first delivery I had from Sainsburys was full of bent tins and I stopped using them for a while but decided to give them another go and they have been fine since. I thought the person packing had put the bag on the floor and dropped the tins in it but you might be right, that they were palming them off.
I think that they have all improved quite a bit since they started. They send an email now of things they can't include.

jenni123 Sat 23-Mar-19 13:29:36

gonegirl, Ocado are more expensive. I have to shop online due to being disabled, I usually use Tesco, but on occasion use Sainsbury's, gave up on Waitrose and can't stand Asda, this week I opted for Ocado, only do this rarely as they are more expensive. One instance this week Kingsmill sliced bread, in co-op £1, Tesco just gone up to £1.10 as has Sainsburys, Ocado it is £1.25. my daughter has just gone from vegetarian to vegan and I told her about Ocado vegan range, she just ordered from them but said how expensive it is. It's OK for occasional shops for me.

4allweknow Sat 23-Mar-19 13:27:58

Have tried them all apart from Morrisons who have only started delivery here this month. Found them all reasonable, haven't cone across a grumpy driver yet. Sainsburys kind of have a little lead on quality but then they are more expensive generally.

Lasermum Sat 23-Mar-19 13:27:37

If your foot injury is affecting your ability to prepare meals, I can recommend ordering some ready meals from the shop callled Cook. The meals are expensive but they are closer to home made meals than ready meals and were a lifesaver when I snapped my Achilles’ tendon.

Ginny42 Sat 23-Mar-19 13:18:26

Lots of food for thought in these posts, thank you. There's nothing quite like recommendations from users is there? My sister's coming with a food parcel this afternoon, so I have a bit longer to check them out. A lot depends on how easy it is to navigate their site.

I know it wasn't meant to be humorous, but I did laugh at some of the substitutions like a kettle instead of a toaster and a yam so big it would need a chain saw!

Thanks again. x

Gad3 Sat 23-Mar-19 13:11:24

I've shipped on line for many years and have tried all of them. I've found that Morrisons are the best. Website easy to use, good choice of products, good quality and price. Polite and helpful delivery persons, good customer relations. I'm staying with them.

Charleygirl5 Sat 23-Mar-19 12:45:00

Nannan2 your wish will be granted next year. I also am eagerly waiting for M&S delivery. I only drink their jars of coffee which are heavy to heave home. I also like the eat-in meals and no doubt I will see something I fancy when they first start rolling out their online deliveries.

I am not sure yet when they will be starting.

Glimble Sat 23-Mar-19 12:42:47

We used to use Tesco but I got tired of the many substitutions, including some really silly ones. One Christmas I ordered an iced Christmas cake but they didn't have one in stock so they sent me a Christmas pudding. Not exactly the same thing and not needed because I had a pudding in my order. We used Asda for a while but we live in a second floor flat with no lift and the delivery men refused to bring it upstairs. So now we use Morrisons and I have no complaints. Good quality food, always delivered with a smile. We also get points with each order which I save up to use in my Christmas shopping.

Notthecatsmother Sat 23-Mar-19 12:41:49

I have used Tesco for years. I don't drive so hate having to carry heavy shopping. Most of the time the delivery drivers are very helpful. If I don't want the substitute I send it back with the driver. In the early days I had some odd substitutes like raw prawns in their shells instead of prawn curry ready meal. Nowadays the substitutes are closer to what I ordered.

cc Sat 23-Mar-19 12:32:47

I agree with glammagran, Ocado is best for me and the site usually shows that something is out of stock when you order, so less substitutions. I've used Sainsburys, Tesco and Morrisons (also run by Ocado), but find that Ocado has a range of products that suits me, expecially the excellent value Waitrose Essentials range.

As others have said, they price match with Tesco on branded products so they're no more more expensive.

I may leave them when they stop delivering Waitrose products as they are a major part of my shop. I rarely buy food from M&S as I've found their range is limited and expensive.

icanhandthemback Sat 23-Mar-19 12:32:39

Ocado or Tescos. I wouldn't have Asda or Sainsbury's again. My SIL works for Asda as a delivery driver and he is quite embarrassed by the substitutions they sent out. Once, somebody ordered a toaster so when it was out of stock, they sent him out with a kettle instead!

Nannan2 Sat 23-Mar-19 12:31:14

And 'saggi' id tell hubby if you wont help i wont feed you then'!grin

muffinthemoo Sat 23-Mar-19 12:30:59

Sainsburys are my deliverers of choice and I am very happy with them.

Nannan2 Sat 23-Mar-19 12:29:52

I wish M& S had home food delivery too as i like them for the dine in deals or something a bit special sometimes or xmas!

Nannan2 Sat 23-Mar-19 12:27:13

Poor Breeze! It must have been awful for you!- it must depend what area you are or how staff are feeling on the day ive used tesco& asda in northwest area and drivers& store managers have been really nice! I have quite bad arthritis and cant always go store- once they got an order wrong from asda and after young manager had sorted it out he also put £10 on a complimentay gift card as goodwill and dropped it through my letterbox on his way home bless him!smile

Saggi Sat 23-Mar-19 12:20:11

Sorry about your incapacity....I’ve been shopping on-line for a year cos not being able to drive and with 3 prolapsed discs in lower back I decided that carrying heavy shopping no longer an option. Husband refuses to help. So on-line it is. My local supermarket is Sainsburys ...so that’s the one I use and am very happy with it! So not much help. Oh ...and if I had a miraculous recovery of my spine problem overnight I would still have shopping delivered. My daughter works full time job plus seeing clients in evening and has done on-line shopping for years....she puts me on to a lot of stuff that us oldies are antagonistic or stubborn about. I learn so much from younger people. Choose one and just ‘go for it’

MissAdventure Sat 23-Mar-19 12:16:21

I have found Asda good, but then I haven't tried any others.

Nannan2 Sat 23-Mar-19 12:15:44

Wouldnt recommend sainsburys(stupid typing!)grin

Nannan2 Sat 23-Mar-19 12:14:31

Woulnt recommens sainsaburys because if they 'substitute' an item they charge more if its a higher priced item whereas asda& tesco do not.they price match it.

Nannan2 Sat 23-Mar-19 12:11:41

Asda is best for online shops as if theres something not right for you then you can go online and ask for a refund up to 3days after delivery also some shop slots only cost £1 delivery.or free click& collect if you could send someone else for to get it for you?

dragonfly46 Sat 23-Mar-19 12:09:39

One thing to remember is that Ocado's goods come straight from the warehouse whereas all the others are taken from the shop floor which often means Ocado's goods are fresher and you have a greater choice. They are no longer part of John Lewis (Waitrose) but are independent.