Gransnet forums

Food

Vegetarian help needed

(18 Posts)
sassy1686 Thu 11-Apr-19 08:25:41

Vegetables toasted sandwiches

Faye Wed 27-Mar-19 03:47:00

One thing as a vegetarian I dislike is pretend meat, I can’t eat it. Better to have roasted vegetables, nice breads, dips and some of the other great ideas previous posters have posted. Make sure you make plenty, meat eaters like vegetarian food too.

NotSpaghetti Tue 26-Mar-19 22:20:18

If cooking for a vegetarian, don’t forget to check that any cheese is vegetarian - quite a lot now are made with a non-meat rennet.

A flan such as a mushroom or caramelised onion is always acceptable.

Some sort of Greek salad with feta.

Use a ready-made, ready rolled puff pastry and make tomato mozzarella and basil puffs by cutting it into squares and “scribing” a square inside each to make a border. Put some tomato, cheese and basil in the middle, season, dribble with olive oil, and bake. It will rise around the edges and create little mini tarts.

Buy some samosas from an Indian Sweet Centre if you have one - or a restaurant if not.

And take a look at Ottolenghi recepies here:
ottolenghi.co.uk/recipes/vegetable
I’ve never found one I didn’t like! Yum yum!

muffinthemoo Tue 26-Mar-19 22:01:27

omg falafel. Tons of falafel. Pitta bread and sauce to go with

Cdeva1977 Tue 26-Mar-19 21:52:57

Vegetables toasted sandwiches
Very tasty and easy to
Make. If needed, I can post recipe

crystaltipps Sat 23-Mar-19 16:44:30

Felafel, hummus, grilled aubergine slices with a few herbs n spices, a lentil and tomato salad, Greek salad , all good for buffet style meal. I make vegan sausage rolls with veggie sausages and bought puff pastry. Super easy.

Fernbergien Sat 23-Mar-19 16:14:26

Yes use a pastry case. Mix squeezed out defrosted spinach with a couple of eggs , cheese cubes , and some onion . Put in case and bake. Delicious. I think a Greek recipe.
Also garlic Philadelphia mixed with mayonnaise makes a tasty dip.

annodomini Sat 23-Mar-19 16:04:33

Most supermarkets will have veggie quiches readily available. It's not a major challenge to make one yourself, especially if you use prepared shortcrust pastry or a pastry case.

NotAGran55 Sat 23-Mar-19 15:27:42

Hulahoop

The Linda McCartney brand is widely available and Vivera is sold by Sainsbury’s I think .

grannyticktock Sat 23-Mar-19 14:57:02

Grilled halloumi is a huge favourite with my veggi GDs, possibly with some roast veg as well.

hulahoop Sat 23-Mar-19 14:12:02

Haven't got a waitrose notagran we live in the north but thanks telly I will take a look at sainsbury when next near one Bathsheba I had thought chicken strips good idea to put them in same sauce . I knew gransnet wouldn't let me down ??

Telly Sat 23-Mar-19 13:35:42

Sainsburys have a veggie frozen section and ours has a version of pulled pork. Not tried it but should be edible. I would also check that they are veggie and not vegan.

NotAGran55 Sat 23-Mar-19 13:34:54

www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/vivera-smoked-bbq-pulled-veggie/605757-629255-629256

www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/linda-mccartney-vegetarian-shredded-hoisin-duck/883636-539110-539111

My veggie son likes these 2 products from Waitrose

Witzend Sat 23-Mar-19 13:16:18

A chilli con carne, but without the carne - i.e. no meat, just the kidney beans, is very easy and popular. Can be made at least the day before. Goes well with rice or some nice bread.

Grammaretto Sat 23-Mar-19 13:11:18

Good bread, real butter, nice cheeses, humous, egg mayo, in fact anything except meat. Vegan is a bit trickier but I love the vegetarian sandwich shop where they use aubergine - baba ganoush - as a sandwich filling. I must try making it. Jamie Oliver's recipe looks easy.
I'm afraid I have no idea what pulled pork is. I've been veggie most of my life.

Feelingmyage55 Sat 23-Mar-19 13:08:38

Roast veg - everyone can enjoy. Little balls of falafel. Hummus dip. Guacamole. Breads.

Bathsheba Sat 23-Mar-19 13:00:52

Iceland do some brilliant vegetarian things - burgers, 'chicken' strips, sausages etc. You could always cook the burgers and tear them up (or 'chicken' strips) and then stir them into the same barbecue sauce you're using for the pulled pork or beef.

hulahoop Sat 23-Mar-19 12:56:07

Oh doing a buffet style meal for Mother's Day thinking pulled pork/ beef open sandwiches one dd is a vegetarian can anyone suggest something he can do similar theme he isn't a brilliant cook s o nothing too complicated would be good.