Gransnet forums

Food

Harry Potter themed birthday cake

(18 Posts)
Spudtm Tue 26-Mar-19 15:40:48

Does anyone know a supermarket I can buy a Harry Potter themed birthday cake?

tanith Tue 26-Mar-19 16:15:19

You might have to look at going to a baker to make it for you I’ve not seen any in Asda Tesco or Sainsbury’s lately.

Spudtm Tue 26-Mar-19 17:17:49

Thank you, tanith. Local baker closed down recently. Always made all our cakes. I will have to try someone new.

ninathenana Tue 26-Mar-19 17:23:50

Are you or a friend/family member on FB ?
I see lots of cake makers and people who do crafts on our local Facebay page.

ninathenana Tue 26-Mar-19 17:26:55

A quick Google shows you can buy H.P. cake decorations on Amazon.
So you could either buy or make the plain cake.

Greyduster Tue 26-Mar-19 17:52:20

There are lots of HP cake toppers on eBay. Printed icing sheets (quite easy to apply), stand alone figures. Worth a look.

HildaW Tue 26-Mar-19 19:05:15

Google 'Harry Potter cake'...there are some amazing examples but there are also some simple ideas that could easily be copied. Many supermarkets do basic iced cakes that could be adapted with some coloured rolled out icing.
Its great fun having a go and if you do it yourself it will be original! Go for it.

jacq10 Tue 26-Mar-19 19:55:46

I did a Harry Potter cake for DGS's 9th birthday which was a big success. Used a Victoria sponge recipe with buttercream and raspberry jam filling and used fondant icing topped with a Harry Potter icing transfer. I will private message you with a link to the E-bay site and also one for Harry Potter cake ribbon. It cost a fraction of the cost for a shop bought cake.

GabriellaG54 Tue 26-Mar-19 22:08:20

Hi

Buy a ready made victoria Beckham sponge cake filled with jam and buttercream (or make your own) and cover with roll out icing.
Buy these toppings pictured from eBay, all 100% edible, next day delivery available.

GabriellaG54 Tue 26-Mar-19 22:10:23

Where the heck did Beckham come from...??
Should read 'ready made (shop bought) victoria sponge cake'

notanan2 Tue 26-Mar-19 22:26:01

I think asda lets you upload photos to be printed on cakes

HildaW Wed 27-Mar-19 10:44:50

Methinks a 'Ready made Victoria Beckham' sponge would be a bit on the tin and cheerless side! I'd much rather have a Victoria Wood one....now she would have made a very generous if not quirky one bless her.

shysal Wed 27-Mar-19 10:57:22

There can be copyright issues when getting in-store icing photos from films, but I am another fan of ones from Ebay. The icing ones are better than wafer. Some can also be personalised.
Harry Potter cake toppers

GabriellaG54 Wed 27-Mar-19 16:33:42

HildaW
Mmm...??? indeed. The recipe might have even been published in the Woman's Weekly. ??

muffinthemoo Wed 27-Mar-19 16:35:39

Gabriella I was genuinely amazed that VB's new business sideline was apparently in cake, given she is a lady notorious for not eating often.

GabriellaG54 Fri 29-Mar-19 21:55:41

muffinthemoo

? very droll.
I wonder what food she cooks and eats at home. It can't be much as she nearly always looks cheesed off and moody, not a good look.

Urmstongran Fri 29-Mar-19 22:03:24

I too loved the idea of cake and VB!!
?

muffinthemoo Sat 30-Mar-19 12:16:59

Excuse the source, but she did publish her diet a couple of years back. It did sound quite incredibly awful

www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/food/4757594/tired-hangry-try-victoria-beckham-diet/