Gransnet forums

Food

Lentil soup disaster!

(11 Posts)
Sophiasnana Tue 09-Apr-19 16:04:18

I have made lentil soup hundreds of times always with great success. Today I tried a new recipe with tinned tomatoes in it. No matter how long I cook it for, the lentils will not break down properly, and its really grainy. What did I do wrong! Ive spent ages blending it too and nothing works. Looks like a bin job!

jusnoneed Tue 09-Apr-19 16:22:24

Put it through a fine sieve, at least you will have the stock part of it to use.

MiniMoon Tue 09-Apr-19 17:31:27

Canned tomatoes inhibit the cooking of many things, lentils included. When I include them in soup, I put them in towards the end of cooking time, I have learnt from previous mistakes.
I would put your soup in the blender and give it a good whizz, and hope that does the trick.

MiniMoon Tue 09-Apr-19 17:33:00

Oops, that's what you get for watching tv while reading a post! Bin it and start again.?

Sophiasnana Tue 09-Apr-19 17:34:27

Minimoon, I did wonder about the tinned toms. Will try the sieve method. Fingers crossed....

phoenix Tue 09-Apr-19 17:46:15

The tomato & lentil soup that I make is always with chopped tinned tomatoes, haven't had a problem, except when I think "that doesn't seem enough lentils", then chuck in some more and end up having to add another tin of tomatoes, which means we have a vat full of the stuff!

Fennel Tue 09-Apr-19 17:52:42

Tomato and butter bean soup is good. Use tinned butter beans.

Sophiasnana Tue 09-Apr-19 18:06:23

Well, tried everything, nothing worked. Back to good old lentil soup for me then!

grannyqueenie Tue 09-Apr-19 20:05:50

I see we use the same method phoenix... always a vat of the stuff here too grin

chelseababy Tue 09-Apr-19 21:24:08

I had a very nice swede carrot and lentil soup yesterday. I've not noticed a problem when using tinned toms in soup

DillytheGardener Sun 14-Apr-19 00:15:06

Oh that is so frustrating, although I can't stand lentils. I think from being young in the 70's I loathe any of the hippy food I ate to try and be hip! Sorry you had such a bothersome time in the kitchen today Sophiasnana