Gransnet forums

Food

Cheap eats

(64 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Wed 17-Apr-19 22:12:11

My lunch today.
Large all butter croissant 37.5p
2 slices mature cheddar 36p (pre sliced)
4 cherry vine tomatoes 15p
Lambs lettuce (in croissant) 2p (reduced pack)
Mug of cappuccino 18.5p
Total = £1.09

GabriellaG54 Mon 22-Apr-19 19:40:42

The vegetarian curry sounds good. I might make some this week to have with a baked potato or rice. Nutritious and filling. Thanks smile

Riverwalk Sun 21-Apr-19 07:24:01

I'm eating very cheaply at the moment. Determined to use up what's in fridge/freezer & cupboard before doing another Ocado order.

I batch-cooked 6 portions of vegetarian curry (frozen onions, tinned chickpeas, frozen squash, Patak's curry paste in a jar, tinned tomatoes) approx £1/portion.

Waitrose Essential range tinned tuna - one can mixed with plain yoghurt, cornichons, dash of Tabasco makes two meals when served on crispbread/flatbread. I've got a mish-mash of other things to eat up so I'll be having some strange combinations in the next few days.

All this plus an Abstinence April, of sorts, so eating very cheaply without wine!

GabriellaG54 Sat 20-Apr-19 21:03:27

I'll have to try that when I can buy some maple syrup Rosiebee
Did you use unsliced white bread?

Rosiebee Sat 20-Apr-19 08:50:50

Banana mashed into a slice of thick toast, no butter but drizzled with maple syrup or honey. No I didn't have it yesterday but I just might today.?

Callistemon Fri 19-Apr-19 17:48:14

I do like a banana sandwich, Tanith
The banana has to be sliced sideways, not chopped!

GabriellaG54 Fri 19-Apr-19 15:07:01

I've got lots of useful ideas from your comments so thanks to all who posted. flowers

Callistemon Fri 19-Apr-19 13:26:31

I'm making soup, a bit daft on a warm day but there were veg in the fridge that needed using up.
Waste not, want not.

Maggiemaybe Thu 18-Apr-19 21:54:15

Nothing for lunch, Callistemon, no. smile

MawBroonsback Thu 18-Apr-19 20:48:12

grin ?‍? ?‍? grin

What is what HazelD ?

BBbevan Thu 18-Apr-19 20:35:23

lemongrove The b----y kindle wrote that on its own !!!

Callistemon Thu 18-Apr-19 20:03:21

There must be a glut of certain veg keriku, as Tesco also have that offer on, three veg for £1.

Or else they are doing the farmers down as usual.

Callistemon Thu 18-Apr-19 20:02:17

Nothing shock
What, really nothing?

Maggiemaybe Thu 18-Apr-19 20:00:52

Nothing at all today, as I'm on a fast day, so zero expenditure. I'm going to make up for it tomorrow by going out for lunch with my dear best friend and I'm rather hoping there might be a glass of fizz involved. smile

I've just realised I've no hot cross buns in for tomorrow's breakfast. Looks like I'll have to get up early and go to the corner shop.

Callistemon Thu 18-Apr-19 19:56:50

I am a hopeless scone maker so I was very glad to sample my friend's perfect scones.

glammagran Thu 18-Apr-19 19:32:36

Home made asaparagus soup (using stalks from 3 bunches) and piece of toast. Some days just a piece of toast.

paddyann Thu 18-Apr-19 19:26:22

I dont eat chicken..or anything that had feathers and I think Tuna smells like cat food so I never eat that *GG" But I might have been a bit annoyed about the huge chunk of apple sponge ..and ice cream .

GabriellaG54 Thu 18-Apr-19 19:04:44

?? Do you have to rub it in Callistemon ?

GabriellaG54 Thu 18-Apr-19 19:01:49

paddyann
Yes...don't I know it. sad My sweet tooth is crying. ?
I badly wanted a pack of 6 sugary ring doughnuts from Tesco (just put on the shelf and still warm) but had to walk away and settle for coffee without sugar.
At least I don't have to watch my OH eat something I'd like.
You must be strong willed. grin

MiniMoon Thu 18-Apr-19 18:51:32

Our son comes for lunch on a Thursday as it's his day off. We had roast leg of lamb, roast potatoes, mash, carrots and cavolo nero cabbage, Yorkshire puddings and gravy. Home made sticky ginger cake for dessert.
This was our Easter dinner. We won't bother much on Sunday.

Grandmama Thu 18-Apr-19 17:02:35

Mine was mashed potato with mushroom and lentil stroganoff - a Waitrose recipe - and home-grown purple sprouting broccoli. Followed by a satsuma. I had my lunchtime banana as part of my breakfast.

Callistemon Thu 18-Apr-19 16:48:12

Warm scones with home made jam...tempting.
It would have been rude to refuse, Gabriella!

Callistemon Thu 18-Apr-19 16:47:22

I meant to add grin!

Callistemon Thu 18-Apr-19 16:47:01

letting it down with a very little lemon juice.
Goodness, MawBroonsback, that sounds very professional and cheffy!
It's the kind of terminology DS uses and I say 'Pardon?'

Callistemon Thu 18-Apr-19 16:44:29

Lunch was a very healthy salad plus half an avocado, drizzled with olive oil.

Then we had a buttered hot cross bun each with a cup of tea at 3.15 shock

paddyann Thu 18-Apr-19 15:49:21

I had my breakfast at lunchtime ,porridge made with water a sliced banana and some milk .Porridge is £1.50 , a pack of 1k,I measure 40grams a portion and bananas 6 for 68 pence add 100mls milk So I'd reckon around 30p the lot .If that.On the other hand OH had home made chicken and sweetcorn soup ,tuna and pasta salad and a home made apple sponge ...the unfairness of having to diet shows in one meal .