Gransnet forums

Food

so many yoghurts !!!

(57 Posts)
travelsafar Fri 19-Apr-19 07:45:50

Whilst shopping yesterday I spoke to a lady who was sorting through the stacks of yoghurts as was I. We both agreed there were so many different types it was difficult to make a healthy choice. Fat free, low fat, sugar free but high in fat, natural, ones with added bacteria, Greek with or without honey, plus of course all the flavoured varieties. Can anyone say which is the healthy one to choose. I am trying to eat healthily but must confess become totally confused when buying yoghurt. Is it better to have high fat rather than the low fat as they have more sugar. Can anyone recomend a good one as i have yog every morning for breakfast with berries, nuts and seeds and dont want to be fooling myself it is healthly when it isn't!!

Barmeyoldbat Sun 29-Dec-19 10:11:30

Plain yogurt and we make our own from UHT skimmed milk, we make a pint at a time and have it with cornflakes, or just fruit and nuts.

Yiayia4 Sun 29-Dec-19 09:23:12

Having spent many summers in Greece,I think full fat Greek yogurt with fruit,nuts ,a little Greek honey is wonderful.

NotAGran55 Sun 29-Dec-19 09:16:58

Plain Yeo and kefir fans here too. Love ? it with frozen (defrosted) blueberries .

Pantglas2 Sun 29-Dec-19 08:08:39

I’m a recent convert to kefir Davida1968! A friend has been making it for years and gave me some last month and I’ve been surprised at how easy it is!

I sometimes have it neat first thing or dolloped on a pudding. My DH still prefers flavoured yogurts and finds the kefir too sour.

craftyone Sun 29-Dec-19 08:00:07

full fat organic live such as yeo, lovely and satisfying with some berries and a sprinkle of hm granola

annep1 Thu 21-Nov-19 22:29:01

Lovetopain didn't know that - about bladder protection. Thanks.

MamaCaz Thu 21-Nov-19 20:08:58

30DiscoGran

I was just about to mention Longley Farm yoghurt myself. I grew up eating those, and have yet to find any I like as much.
My favourite ever was their lemon one. So tangy!

To be honest, as I haven't lived in Yorkshire since I was 18, finding any flavour of Longley Farm yoghurt is a rare treat, but I haven't seen a lemon one for at least 15 years - not even when back up north visiting my mum. sad

Davida1968 Thu 21-Nov-19 19:50:22

We used to eat my favourite (Yeo, plain, full-fat) yogurt every day with porridge. But now DH makes kefir (which is much easier to make than when we tried making yogurt at home) so we have that instead. Still buy Yeo for guests, though. Good stuff.

Lovetopaint037 Thu 21-Nov-19 19:43:09

I use the 0% fat authentic Greek yoghurt with added bacteria. I first used this when I ate it to combat a bladder infection. Since then I have had it every day on top of my oats. Told my sister in law about it who was also suffering from reoccurrences of same thing. She still has it every day and after a year we have both been free of bladder infections. (Cross fingers)

JessK Wed 20-Nov-19 10:36:11

I've settled on a large pot of Greek yoghurt that lasts me 4-5 days and I add a variety of fruit either fresh or frozen. It works out a lot cheaper.

DiscoGran Wed 20-Nov-19 09:30:57

Longley Farm yogurts are the best you can get, Morrisons stock them. The hazelnut one is amazing.

kircubbin2000 Wed 20-Nov-19 09:15:36

Lidl de luxe are delicious.

M0nica Wed 20-Nov-19 07:42:20

No yoghourt - ever. It makes me feel sick.

DH eats full fat plain yoghourt and adds flavouring. He uses it like custard or cream putting it on stewed fruit, in fact almost any dessert and cereal.

annep1 Wed 20-Nov-19 07:25:58

Fage yoghurt for us. Breakfast is....Porridge, berries, tiny drop of honey, large dollop of Fage and sprinkle of cinnamon.

BradfordLass72 Wed 20-Nov-19 07:12:15

Just buy the yohgurt you actually want - no dramas.

agnurse Tue 19-Nov-19 17:26:29

My understanding is that some of the best yogurts are low-sugar. I'd also suggest that Greek yogurt is healthier, because of the way it is made. I don't know if you're aware of this, but Greek yogurt is actually strained through muslin. This makes it creamier and also results in a higher protein content.

Plain Greek yogurt can also be used as a healthy alternative to sour cream.

Poppyred Tue 19-Nov-19 16:54:42

Teeth Police out today ???

welbeck Tue 19-Nov-19 16:49:14

how about a good plain yogurt, avoid no fat, or very low.
greek is nice, avoid extra flavourings/honey.
Lidl some in large pots with a handle, and they sell a lot.
i would caution against brushing one's teeth after eating sweet things, or acidic, that can cause erosion.
best to finish meal with something else, eg cheese as alkaline, or nuts plain, and or rinse with water or alcohol-free mouthwash.
do not brush immediately after eating, better to do so before, to make the teeth smooth, so less food particles adhere to the surface.
if you brush immediately afterwards it will be like scrubbing the front step, acid from the food combines with pressure from the brush, wears away the surface.

BwarengaGriggs Tue 19-Nov-19 16:22:14

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Atqui Thu 06-Jun-19 10:38:37

I try not to eat anything with artificial sweeteners even though constantly trying to lose weight. Also I only use organic dairy stuff so it’s Yeo Valley natural or independent farm Nat yogurt for us

Callistemon Thu 06-Jun-19 10:27:34

DH likes those Muller corner ones - his cholesterol is fine, better than mine!

Gonegirl Thu 06-Jun-19 09:53:18

Maybe I'll break out. And say sod it.

Gonegirl Thu 06-Jun-19 09:52:36

I used to love those Muller ones with a separate little corner fenced off for some jam. But I have allowed myself to be forced into submission by the healthy eating brigade.

Gonegirl Thu 06-Jun-19 09:50:00

We have the Yeo Valley natural yogurts. It's just - yogurt. It's nice.

TerriBull Thu 06-Jun-19 08:36:00

I really love Oykos yogurts, "Greek style" they claim to be, style being the operative word, nothing like as healthy as actual Greek yogurt as they are no doubt full of sugar. However, I don't have them every day maybe a couple a week, I particularly love the raspberry ones and husband has a penchant for the blueberry flavour. I might add that I do have the real deal as well in my fridge most of the time, Fage Greek yogurt, very thick and really nice with runny honey and a bit of granola on the top.

I never really liked yogurt that much when it was launched back in the dim and distant past, particularly those Ski ones, "nasty" as Trump as prone to declare quite frequently!