Gransnet forums

Food

Rack of lamb

(13 Posts)
kittylester Sun 12-May-19 19:46:44

Anyone got a recipe for this. I struggle to get the fat and meat both right at the same time..

We dont like it with a breaded coating.

Thank you!

annsixty Sun 12-May-19 19:51:15

Absolutely love rack of lamb.
I have always bought it from M&S and have followed the instructions to the letter.
Not at all fatty and delicious.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 12-May-19 19:55:36

I often cook it.

I use a garlic and herb coating. I think you could use any herbs you fancy tbh, but my favourite is the three - parsley, thyme and rosemary which I chop with the garlic crushed in.

I sear the meat s+p then coat the roast. We like our meat quite pink, but it is a matter of taste. 180c 15- 30 mins cover with foil if getting too brown.

kittylester Sun 12-May-19 20:03:24

Interesting. The recipe I use is herbs, garlic and oil, marinated overnight the hot oven 15 mins and then cooler oven for 15 mins, rest for 15 minutes.

Searing seems the way forward.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 12-May-19 20:04:56

Sounds the same recipe? Except I don’t marinate. Can’t remember where I got it.

annsixty Sun 12-May-19 20:10:16

I don't marinate at all.
Just cook very briefly in a medium hot oven.
No coating just lightly oil and s&p.
With top quality meat like rack, the simpler the better.

annsixty Sun 12-May-19 20:11:16

30 mins seems far too long, sorry.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 12-May-19 20:14:19

I think tbh it depends on the rack really. If you get yours from M&S they are very refined if you know what I mean.
I get mine from an organic farmer so they are not prepared in any sense so quite a lot of meat/fat.

annsixty Sun 12-May-19 21:05:05

Just class me as a philistine.?
M&S just up the road, so easy.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 12-May-19 21:13:17

No ? heavens above!! We shop as we wish.

annesixty I hope I haven’t bothered you over a couple of cutlets?? it wasn’t intentional.

I’m always getting into hot water. I’m not very good at explaining myself I think.
Sorry.

Nannarose Sun 12-May-19 21:17:20

You need some fat or it will be too dry. You can trim before or after cooking - depending on taste. I trim mine a bit, then score and rub in whatever takes my fancy - often shove bits of garlic and rosemary in, then take off what seems too much when it's on my plate.
I think you need to trim off the skin / membrane, then you my find it cooks more evenly.

annsixty Sun 12-May-19 21:24:44

Of course you didn't Whitewave
I have a much thicker skin than that?

Urmstongran Sun 12-May-19 21:51:35

You do fine on the Brexit threads WhiteWave!
?

Sorry, back to the lamb ....