Gransnet forums

Food

Searching for Nigel Slater Recipe

(5 Posts)
Knitnuts Wed 22-May-19 17:20:50

I’m hoping someone might be able to help me find a Nigel Slater recipe from the 1990s. It was easy, a family favourite and I’m pretty sure it was published in the Sainsbury’s magazine. I had it in a battered notebook, which was lost when we had a new kitchen fitted. My OH packed everything up and the notebook has disappeared into the ether!

The recipe was for sausages. You browned the sausages and then put them in a casserole dish with, from memory, a tin of chopped tomatoes, a tin of baked beans, chilli in some form and some English mustard. I can’t remember if there was anything else.

It was such a quick and simple dish and very tasty. I don’t even like baked beans, but they worked well in this.

Lovely Grans, can anyone help?

gillybob Wed 22-May-19 18:59:58

Could it have been his sausage and bean hotpot knitnuts ?

Sausages
Beans
Jar of tomato passata
Chillis or chilli paste
Mustard
Fresh tomatoes chopped
Parsley

gillybob Wed 22-May-19 19:12:21

Assuming this is the one you’re after. Sorry had to take 2 photos as it’s over 2 pages in his 30 minute cookbook .

Sussexborn Wed 22-May-19 19:22:05

My two older children had this somewhere and referred to it as cowboy stew. Similar ingredients.

varian Wed 22-May-19 21:55:22

The OP seems to have a good idea how to make this dish. Why don't you just cook it? You don't need a recipe. I hardly ever use recipes although I like reading them. It will probably turn out fine but you may decide it needs a bit more or less of something so you can adjust it the next time.