Gransnet forums

Food

Be-Ro Book Coconut Loaf

(18 Posts)
Hull Sun 26-May-19 15:53:41

Does anyone have an old Be-Ro cookbook that has a "Coconut Loaf" recipe? My Nana used to make it for me (back in the 80s) and I would love to make it now. Many thanks!

phoenix Sun 26-May-19 16:05:07

Oh my!

I remember the Be Ro book, one of the first cakes I ever made on my own (aged about 6) was from that book!

I still had it up until 1999, when I left my first husband.

Sadly, it wasn't one of the items that he allowed me to have. (Probably binned by him, as deemed as of no value sad )

Wheniwasyourage Sun 26-May-19 16:19:31

My copy says to use the foundation recipe with 1oz of desiccated coconut mixed in the flour. The foundation recipe is as follows:

4 oz BE-RO flour (self-raising)
2 oz sugar
2 oz margarine
One egg, beaten with two tablespoons milk

Beat the sugar and margarine to a cream, in a warm basin (not hot); then stir in the flour and beaten egg-and-milk (alternately, a little at a time), and mix thoroughly. The mixture should be soft.

Pour into a well-greased 7-inch Sandwich Cake tin making the top level with a knife, and bake in a moderate oven (350º-375º) about 30 minutes.

When cool, cut through the centre and spread with raspberry jam, or any other filling.

The icing for the coconut cake is:

Mix 3 tablespoonfuls Icing Sugar to a smooth paste with cold water. When the cake is cool, spread with icing and cover with coconut (coarse or strip).

Hope that is what you are looking for, although by now you will no doubt have 17 copies from those who can scan and send!

Ilovecheese Sun 26-May-19 16:20:04

Crunchy Blueberry Coconut Loaf. 41st edition Be Ro:

75g butter or marg
150g Be Ro SF flour
75g caster sugar
1 egg
90ml milk
110g blueberries
50g desiccated coconut
25g Demerara sugar

Oven gas 4 180c
1 lb loaf tin
Rub fat into flour, stir in sugar, add egg and milk and mix well.
Stir in blueberries and desiccated coconut.
place in tin and sprinkle with Demerara sugar.
Bake for one hour.

I hope this is the right one Hull if not I suppose you could just miss out the blueberries.

Wheniwasyourage Sun 26-May-19 16:21:10

No, you haven't. I won! I won!

My copy of the Be-Ro book came from an Oxfam shop, so they are still around if you are lucky.

Happy baking!

Wheniwasyourage Sun 26-May-19 16:22:16

My edition is the 18th, but it doesn't have a date.

MiniMoon Sun 26-May-19 16:28:12

You might be interested in this hull. It's the Be-ro book from 1923.

flashbak.com/be-ro-home-recipes-scones-cakes-pastry-puddings-a-1923-cookbook-primer-41260/

MiniMoon Sun 26-May-19 16:29:31

By the way, I just recently bought a new Be-ro recipe book to replace my very ancient battered copy.

Helennonotion Sun 26-May-19 16:38:06

Ilovecheese- I fancy having a go at that! My Be-ro book is quite old and there's no mention of those modern blueberry things in any of the recipes! grin I didnt think in each edition there would be updated recipes and even brand new ones. Suppose it stands to reason really. I'll test the recipe on my son and his housemates. Hes in student accomodation and they plead with me for more baking whenever I visit!

Ilovecheese Sun 26-May-19 16:42:07

Yes Hekennonotion there are a few new recipes in each edition, but also a few less older ones. I have 3 different editions, the latest one being the 41st.

Ilovecheese Sun 26-May-19 16:42:35

Sorry Helennonotion

Gonegirl Sun 26-May-19 16:49:07

Loads of yummy sounding Be-to recipes here but sadly not your coconut loaf. Very tempting ones though.

Hull Sun 26-May-19 21:19:18

Thank you, thank you, thank you! My Nana would be 107 this summer - so I'll make it and think of her. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Ohmother Sun 26-May-19 23:23:56

RICH JAM AND COCONUT CAKEPrint recipe
Rich Jam and Coconut Cake
ServesApprox 8 pieces
Prep time5 minutes
Cook time20 minutes
Total time25 minutes
AllergyEgg, Wheat
DietaryVegetarian
Meal typeDessert, Side Dish, Snack
MiscChild Friendly, Serve Cold
OccasionBirthday Party, Casual Party, Christmas, Easter, Halloween
From bookBe-Ro Home Baking 24th Million Edition
INGREDIENTS

8 ozs Be-Ro self raising flour
half teaspoon salt
2 ozs sugar
4 ozs margarine (I used Stork margarine)
1 egg (beaten)
raspberry or strawberry jam
dessicated coconut
NOTE

A family favourite, taken from an old Be-Ro cookbook; these simple cake and jam sandwiches have coconut sprinkled over them and make a perfect tea time treat for all the family, as well as being a welcome addition to the school or work lunch-box.

DIRECTIONS

Step 1Mix the flour and salt. Rub in the margarine and then stir in the sugar.
Step 2Mix to a stiff paste with the beaten egg and add a little milk if necessary.
Step 3Divide into two parts and roll out thinly, both same size.
Step 4Place one piece on a greased baking sheet and cover with jam. Place the other piece on top and nip together.
Step 5Bake in moderately hot oven (375F/180C/Gas 4-5) for about 15 to 20 minutes.
Step 6When cool, spread a little more jam over the top and sprinkle dessicated coconut over; then cut into fingers, squares or triangles.

Kerry978 Sun 29-Nov-20 08:46:47

I chanced upon this thread hoping to find the recipe myself, I used to know it by heart but just couldn't remember it fully! I knew I had the book somewhere in the box of hoarded stuff from my youth. Anyway I've found the Bero book complete with the coconut loaf recipe I used to make. The book is from 1992 reprinted from the 1980 one so the dates fit with what you're saying! smile

grace96 Tue 20-Jul-21 16:09:17

Hi! I was searching online for this recipe as I couldn’t place my BeRo (my favourite thing I’ve inherited from my wonderful grandma) finally found it!! X

Lincslass Tue 20-Jul-21 16:14:49

Great nostalgia, the 1923 edition is the one my mum was given by her mum. Jam tarts and maids of honour were our childhood treats. Thanks for showing it.

Doodledog Tue 20-Jul-21 16:17:52

Thanks to everyone who's posted recipes on this thread. I feel a coconut cake coming on ?